Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
After hearing various motors switch on through my house ring main I bought a ifiPower2, and used it to power my WiiM Pro Plus. To my amazement it stopped the blips, and removed a very faint hum that I could hear when the music was paused.I also believe the soundstage is better, which I wasn't expecting. After that improvement I bought a Tacima CS947 extension lead, which had good reviews and a WHF award. Continuing my 'clean up' I wanted to seperate my audio cables from computer cables and power bricks, so it was forty quid well spent.
My Mojo was previously charging from my P.C USB socket, but I gave it a new charger, plugged into the Tacima extension. Within a day the sound started to deteriorate, and after plugging and unplugging just about everything determined the charger was faulty- if the Mojo was run off its battery, no problem. I replaced the charger with another (Samsung) 1A charger, and thought nothing of it. Within a few hours' use the same thing happened. I have now employed a new charger (decent quality, I have three others which provide a good service for all my devices), plugged into its own mains socket, and everything is working fine again. Time will tell, but I don't expect it to fail away from the extension.
As it stands I can only think the extension was damaging the chargers, though as it is supposed to protect and provide clean (ish) power this is a mystery to me.My initial reaction was to return it. I am not experiencing any other problems from other stuff plugged into the Tacima. The ifiPower2 is still functioning as it should- I went back to the old WiiM charger and the noise returned, along with a dip in soundstage. I am 100% convinced it has improved my WiiM PP.
I am struggling to understand what's going on. Only the Samsung charger was rated at the recommended 1A, but aren't I correct in thinking a device will only draw the current it needs? The other two chargers are 3-way, and offer up to 3A charge rate.
Answers on a postcard please.

Gray

....aren't I correct in thinking a device will only draw the current it needs?
In simpler times maybe.
But in these days of cleverness I believe chargers and devices sometimes talk to each other to determine 'optimum' charge rates.

A good rule is to stick to the specific charger supplied with any device.

Having said that, I've been just given a rechargeable work light, together with a 5v charger.
The light's battery is 7.4 volts, so a 5v charger is obviously wrong.
According to the manufacturer the model requires a 9v, 2A charger.
So I gave it 9v for charge - while keeping an eye on its current consumption.
It was initially drawing 2.7 amps!
Moral of the story - you can't always trust what a manufacturer says 🤨

Reactions: Al ears and DougK1

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
In simpler times maybe.
But in these days of cleverness I believe chargers and devices sometimes talk to each other to determine 'optimum' charge rates.

A good rule is to stick to the specific charger supplied with any device.

Having said that, I've been just given a rechargeable work light, together with a 5v charger.
The light's battery is 7.4 volts, so a 5v charger is obviously wrong.
According to the manufacturer the model requires a 9v, 2A charger.
So I gave it 9v for charge - while keeping an eye on its current consumption.
It was initially drawing 2.7 amps!
Moral of the story - you can't always trust what a manufacturer says 🤨
I am hoping you're correct, it seems so. Everything is back to normal now.In my ignorance, and because it was a new addition, I was starting to think the filter extension was somehow to blame.
My system is very much the poorer without the Mojo, the Denon 600ne's dac sounds o.k, but the WiiM PP seems lacking now.
Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts