Mystery dissapearing iPhone memory???

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 4 since early Jan and have transferred all photos, contacts etc. from my old 3G.

Firstly, the 4 seems to have less usable memory than my old 3G (6.37GB against 6.9GB, even though both are supposed to be 8GB :? ) but I understand that the OS uses some of the usable RAM, like a computer.

But get this: when ripping and syncing a new CD tonight, iTunes gave me the following message in reference to the memory:

Audio 4.8GB (197 mostly lossless tracks, so about right)
Photos 0.26GB (230 photos, about right)
Apps 0.42GB (Spotify uses 270MB for synced playlists, which I can't seem to get rid of)
Other 0.71GB

That's 720MB of memory which I can't account for, or 11% given over to...to what? Surely some lists, notes, contacts can't take up so much space?

Anybody have any clues?

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Restore it? obvious but worth a show andsee if that helps. If not, email apple tell them you want the memory you paid for :type:

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Restored -

Deleting Spotify playlists from an old version of iTunes freed up quite a bit, photos seem to be compressed down a little but 'Other' is still at 600MB...

Maybe it's the lengthy legal documentation that says Apple can take my first-born? I never read those iTunes agreements...:read:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
Other 0.71GB That's 720MB of memory which I can't account for, or 11% given over to...to what? Surely some lists, notes, contacts can't take up so much space? Anybody have any clues?

Core data (the OS and pre-installed apps), SMS messages, emails and attachments, calendar events, contacts and contact photos, Safari bookmarks / history / cookies and cache, any 3rd party applications settings and data are among the things that are all apparently stored in "Other". Restoring is the simplest way to reduce the bloat, but if you've still got quite a lot after this then try taking a look through your locally stored emails and delete any with attachments (and make sure you clear our the Trash in each of the mailboxes). This may be easier on your computer if your syncing an online account. Also clear down Safari's cache (through Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data).

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I don't use email on mobile but have cleared the cache as you suggested, it must be all the photos attached to contacts etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts