My system is too bright!?!?!?! please help!

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I have had my kef q500's for a while now so there fully run in. The problem is that alots of music (70%) is bright. I am using a NAD C542 cd player and a NAD C355BEE amp with a Chord silver siren interconnect and Chord odyssey bi-wired cable. My system has always been bright and it's frustrating me. I was thinking about changing my cd player for the NAD C565BEE to smooth it out, or maybe changing the speaker cable and interconnect? Does anyone have any suggestions? Is cable the cheapest option?

Please help!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The problem lies in mixing silver plated cable with Kef speakers.

Try getting some copper speaker cables like those from Van Damme (UP LC-OFC) and an Atlas i/c. If that doesn't help it's likely the speakers.

T

the record spot

Try pointing your speakers outwards a little, not much. That has worked for me in the past. Works well for the soundstage too. Otherwise, don't go mad chopping one set of cable out for another. Try some cooper multistrand speaker cable from the likes of Digitalis Direct, who'll do some 14AWG/322 strand for about £6 for ten metres. Great stuff, does the trick and you don't need to spend silly money.

The NAD amp has been accused of being all bluster, but not a whole load of finesse by some users. Never heard it, but if you find it too much, you could try swapping out the speakers for something like Castle's latest series which has more warmth and body to them.

A

Anonymous

For me it's the speakers... I demo'd the Kefs and found them to be bright

Chord Carnival Silverscreen or Odyssey 2 speaker may help a little but won't cure

Your NAD amp and CDP are very good; don't bother with the C565BEE CDP, it's not worth it. Sensible step up would be a Rega Apollo

It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to and what your room layout is like (I.e. Furnishings etc..)? Did you demo any other speakers with your system as well?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I had a brighter than neutral system when using my old Kimber Silver Streak I/Cs and QED Silver Anniversary cabling. A change to my current Atlas cables has given me a much more balanced sound with greater punch without robbing my system of detail or pushing the sound too far the other way.

I know the cable debate will rage on into eternity, but i can tell you from experience you can fine tune your sound with cables.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
have you tried blind testing them Chris? you'd find they sounded the same, if you did. i'm not aware of anyone, anywhere, passing a 'blind' test. try it and let us know how you get on... ;)

if the op's room isn't overly reflective, then a change of speakers would be the easiest way of changing the sound.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I know the cable debate will rage on into eternity, but i can tell you from experience you can fine tune your sound with cables.

Agreed. On both points. As proven by Craig.

The first thing you should do (and this is actually the easiest thing too) is try some good quality copper cables - you won't need to spend alot of money and if it makes no difference you'll be able to sell them on eBay without too much trouble or loss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts