My system, as it evolves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

CnoEvil said:
Good for ewe....there's nothing sheepish about that system. *good*

Thanks. I've been a baad boy. Not only have I purchased the Marantz SR7009, which hopefully will arrive on Saturday :) I'm going to get a BK sub as well. No more woolly bass!

scene

The SR7009 has arrived!
And it sounds blooming marvellous :D
I haven't been this happy about a piece of equipment for ages. Still running it in, but I have to say it's a superb but of kit, both for av and music.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Have given this receiver more than just a look - Scene, do you still have your MA set up? you bought your RXFX rears just before i did a few years back I remember...how does the sound differ from your previous receiver (Pioneer???)

scene

grdunn123 said:
Have given this receiver more than just a look - Scene, do you still have your MA set up? you bought your RXFX rears just before i did a few years back I remember...how does the sound differ from your previous receiver (Pioneer???)
still got the MA set up, silver 8i's, rs-lcr & rxfx and with the Marantz they sound superb, they've really come to life. The Arcam avr250 used to do a great job with music and was OK with film, but it was getting long in the tooth. It didn't have HDMI inputs and handle modern surround sound codecs, so was a bit limited. I actually replaced it for a while with a Yamaha rx-v667, which I had bought for the dining room set up, but which Mrs scene decided was too large for their (I did get a pioneer sub/amp combo for there and that's pretty good). The Yamaha is a good amp and i highly recommend it - great for music and good for av, but not really up to powering big speakers in a 90m3 room.
Not so the SR7009. It has got a real grip on the system. Any slight softness that was there with the arcam has been replaced by taught responsiveness. And the slight loss of control the Yamaha could have, probably as I had to turn the volume right up on it to get it reasonably loud, seems to have been replaced by steely control.
I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to turn it on when I get home :D really looking forward to giving it a real workout with some films in the next week or so.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Really liking the look of your settup scene. The cabinet makes, what is a high end system blend in to your room nicely. Not cluttered with speakers on display. Just the minimum on show.

I have often thought about getting an enclosed cabinet for all my gear.

I managed to get music copied to my nas. Not sure what to do next though. Right now my MacBook is displaying album artwork and playing itunes from nas hd. Need to decide what I want from the system. Perhaps use nas as only storage and empty the MacBook. Terrified of loosing any artwork etc.

scene

You can move the artwork as well. It's a PITA, but I think it can be done. IIRC, the best way is to store the artwork as a jpg in the music folder, i.e. in with the ripped tracks. This isn't default iTunes behavour, it likes to control things, but this means iTunes and iTunes alone can see the artwork. This is a problem if you want to use something like SONOS (like I do) to access your tunes. There are scripts that will run against your iTunes library and extract the artwork and save it as the appopriately name jpg in the appropriate folder. You then have an iTunes independent copy of your music. Assuming you ripped lossless (.WAV files) it is fully portable.

For example: This script should do the trick (NB: one caveat - haven't tried it recently)

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks scene. Will look into that next... Busy getting all my networked hardware sorted out just now. Not enough inputs on the time capsule. Ordered a tp link gigabit switch to sort it all out. Using smart features loads more now I have infinity. Bbc Iplayer is brilliant..

Hoping that I can use my amp to access tunes on nas?? Dnla.

Regards

john

scene

bigboss said:
Glad you're enjoying your Marantz! Can't wait to install mine next week!! :)

Loving it! *good*

Looking forward to hearing what you think of yours - especially the Atmos, as I haven't gone down that route (yet?)

As I've said in other posts, it's a great amp, really easy to set up and use, and great to listen to. Given Marantz's pedigree with amps, I don't know why I'm quite so surprised as to how musical it is. But I'm not complaining...

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
It's all looking good scene. Glad to see you tracked down a Kuro. You Atacama unit must be huge as it make th TV look small and I know it's not cause I have an LX5090 but without the TV speakers.

Will you remove the TV speakers?

scene

Thanks glacialpath. The salamander unit is huge and very solidly built (it has a solid aluminium frame inside, and is built like a tank as I always remember when I try to move it).
As for the speakers on the Kuro. I got them so I didn't have to town the amp on to watch TV - which is great when the kids want to watch it, so no plans to remove them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts