My system and a question

gmartin

Sep 27, 2007
Visit site
Okay, so first my system:

B&W Nautilus 802s

Krell FPB-300

Krell KAV-300 CD

Lexicon MC-12B V5EQ (just swapped my Krell KAV-280p for this)

Transparent Audio cables

As you can see, I'm trying to make the transition to an HT setup without compromising the 2-channel stereo, since most of my listening is CDs at the moment.

Challenge I have are:

- I have nowhere to put a centre speaker at the right level as the speakers are either side of a fireplace - should I just forget about a centre?

- Has anyone mixed speakers from the same manufacturer but a different range - does it work?

- Has anyone got a system with a flat panel above a fireplace, and does it work?

Anyway, there you go

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Do you really need a center speaker ? by any company ?

The image you get from two speakers in most UK front rooms is very good. If you have a very big front room might need one. Have you any chance of borrowing one and having a listen ?

As for screens above the fireplace everyones doing that !

A

Anonymous

Any centre speaker to do justice to the 802s will need to be of a similar quality as DD 5.1 sends a huge amount of information to the centre. So the speaker would be huge, as the B&W nautilus centre speakers are.

Sounds like you'd do well to avoid it and let the Lexicon matrix the centre channel across the front pair. Otherwise you'd need to fill the fireplace with a speaker! Not likely to work!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gmartin"]
B&W Nautilus 802s

Krell FPB-300

Krell KAV-300 CD

[/quote]

Great taste in Hifi. after all this years the KAV 300cd still fetch more than a grand, superb sound.

A

Anonymous

It is worth considering the option of not using a centre, if your 802s image well enough for dialogue to be heard against the background. This is certainly an approoach taken by Russ Andrews. Unless you are prepared to use an 802 as a centre, there will always be differences due to different cabinet sizes and heights.

A

Anonymous

I have had my flat screen over the fireplace for the last two years and no problems but then it is a crappy LCD. Plasmas are much heavier so make sure it is a brick wall over the fireplace to support the weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts