My review of the Wharfedale Dentons and Dynaudio dm2/7s, am I expecting too much?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Just had a fun weekend listening to the new Wharfedale Dentons and the Dynaudio dm2/7s in my system. The Wharfedales are great speakers for the money, the Mezzos better it in all departments but thats to be expected since the Mezzos. The VFM factor of the Dentons are really high, I never expected a 500 pound bookshelf to stack up so well to the Mezzos, a smallish room with some freedom to position and they will give anything at the price a good fight, they just didn't move me and I found them a bit analytical at times and not able to create a beautiful musical picture.

Its no secret that I love the dm 2/7s and its shocking that they have managed to make these speakers challenge huge floorstanders for gutso. It does have more bass (of the good kind) than the Mezzos but not the same extension (the Mezzos go down to 38khz). They are also relatively easy to drive despite what people usually say about Dyns (I have an amp which produces 18 watts in ultralinear and 45 in triode and bothe were good enough). The also have better low level resolution, soundstage and dynamic headroom. It is astonishing value for money with the right amp and good stands but require careful positioning and toe in (I found them bright without toe in).

So whats stopping me from making the purchase? The Dyns just lack the feeling of vocal realism you get from the Mezzos. My friends often say that they feel someone is playing in the room when they come in and hear the Mezzos...but the Dyns don't feel quite as organic. I know I am expecting too much from a speaker at this price. However, can anyone tell me where I can find the same talents mentioned here but get the level of vocal realism the Mezzos offer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts