My Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-ray Player Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

mattjax05 said:
gel said:
mattjax05 said:
gel said:
Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend? Cheers.

I use some Samsung ones and although they sync up perfectly there is noticeable flicker from the far left and right side of the lenses during daylight viewing. Night time is perfect however. Would you like the model no.?

Yep, please. Cheers. I am not sure which ones to purchase. Probably look around for the best price.

SSG-5100GB. Much cheaper than the Panasonic ones and they work flawlessly at night. The Panasonic glasses may even suffer from the daylight flicker too, I don't know I haven't compared.

Ah cheers. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think the operation might be a little bit noisy, but nothing distracting. I will keep an eye on that.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Hi Strapped, if I was to buy a pair of 3D glasses for the GT50 what would you recommend? Cheers.

These Gel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3D3-A1112-Universal-3D-TV-Eyewear-Active-Shutter-RF-Glasses-/110951413734?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_3D_TV_Glasses_Accessories&hash=item19d53837e6

They're very well constructed, rechargeable, have less of a tint than the Panasonic glasses, and block more ambient light from the sides (so less flicker). I used them with the GT50 and preferred them to the Panasonic glasses. They're slightly less expensive than the Panasonic glasses, too.

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I decided to avoid. The 3D3s are widely owned and most that buy them like then very much.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

These Gel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-3D3-A1112-Universal-3D-TV-Eyewear-Active-Shutter-RF-Glasses-/110951413734?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_3D_TV_Glasses_Accessories&hash=item19d53837e6

They're very well constructed, rechargeable, have less of a tint than the Panasonic glasses, and block more ambient light from the sides (so less flicker). I used them with the GT50 and preferred them to the Panasonic glasses. They're slightly less expensive than the Panasonic glasses, too.

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I decided to avoid. The 3D3s are widely owned and most that buy them like then very much.

Superb - cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I think the operation might be a little bit noisy, but nothing distracting. I will keep an eye on that.

Nope, it was the Sky HD box making the noise. All quiet!
smiley-laughing.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:

These Gel:

Superb - cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

Let me know if you decide to buy a pair. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:

These Gel:

Superb - cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

Let me know if you decide to buy a pair. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
smiley-smile.gif

Will do. Thanks mate.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel,

So what's the verdict on the 55 now you've a bit more time to play with it?

I'm guessing you're happy, or you'd have updated this thread to advise of problems.

How does the 55 fare when upscaling DVDs? How's the analogue audio performance? (I'm not sure if this is important to you). Could you detect any difference outputting audio as bitstream or with the 55 decoding? (I have strong doubts that this will influence the sound produced, but it can be fun to experiment.)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Hi Gel,

I'm guessing you're happy, or you'd have updated this thread to advise of problems.

How does the 55 fare when upscaling DVDs? How's the analogue audio performance? (I'm not sure if this is important to you). Could you detect any difference outputting audio as bitstream or with the 55 decoding? (I have strong doubts that this will influence the sound produced, but it can be fun to experiment.)

It is really good. It is virtually the same as my Pioneer 71 and that I paid £550 for, so the fact I got this for £249 makes it a bit of a bargain to me. DVDs look really good I will have to try a few more. Last night I played about 8 Blu-rays, it loads really quick and operation is faster than the 71. The 71 to me is the best Blu-ray player I have seen, so I have got from it what I wanted (I think).
smiley-smile.gif

Not tried the analogue performance yet, I will do that next and report back, because I do know what I am doing now so I will do it. I am enjoying playing with it. Will probably try it tomorrow now and report back, I will see how it goes. Cheers.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Glad you're happy! It's nice when you pick something up for a low price and it meets or exceeds expectations.
smiley-smile.gif

My favourite AV purchase remains my Teac PD-H600. It's an exceptional piece of kit that I can't fault in any way. (Well, it only plays CDs, but that's all I need it to do.) The fact that I picked it up for £200 as an outgoing model makes the deal even sweeter.

Comparing analogue stereo performance with the CA651, there's simply no contest. The CA sounds good, but the 600 represents a clear step up in terms of balance, nuance, and detail. Build quality is genuinely first rate, too. Whatever frustrations we experience as enthusiasts, every now and then a piece of kit lands in our laps that's above criticism.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have also seen the 55 on the VT65 and know it looks cracking and a clear step up on that too.

You know your issues with your TV do you think 3D playback over a period of time on the screen could have anything to do with it? I was just trying to think of causes? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Glad you're happy! It's nice when you pick something up for a low price and it meets or exceeds expectations.
smiley-smile.gif

My favourite AV purchase remains my Teac PD-H600. It's an exceptional piece of kit that I can't fault in any way. (Well, it only plays CDs, but that's all I need it to do.) The fact that I picked it up for £200 as an outgoing model makes the deal even sweeter.

Comparing analogue stereo performance with the CA651, there's simply no contest. The CA sounds good, but the 600 represents a clear step up in terms of balance, nuance, and detail. Build quality is genuinely first rate, too. Whatever frustrations we experience as enthusiasts, every now and then a piece of kit lands in our laps that's above criticism.

Ah cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have also seen the 55 on the VT65 and know it looks cracking and a clear step up on that too.

You know your issues with your TV do you think 3D playback over a period of time on the screen could have anything to do with it? I was just trying to think of causes? :?

I guess it's not impossible that the extra brightness 3D demands drives the panel too hard; and could create problems. I can't prove this, but I have a theory that the implementation of faster phosphor technology has contributed to screen uniformity problems on Panasonic plasma TVs.

Before the 30 series, when Panasonic started including 3D functionality on less expensive models, Panasonic TVs had perfect uniformity. Whatever other issues the TVs had, my G10 and V20 had perfect screen uniformity; and I mean perfect. Neither used Panasonic's so called "faster switching phosphors." Thereafter, owners started reporting blobs and bands. On the other hand, the VT20 used faster phosphor technology and, to the best of my knowledge, screen uniformity was as perfect as it gets. Who knows?

Whatever the reason (or reasons), Panasonic has struggled to manufacture perfectly uniform plasma TVs for the last three years.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

I guess it's not impossible that the extra brightness 3D demands drives the panel too hard; and could create problems. I can't prove this, but I have a theory that the implementation of faster phosphor technology has contributed to screen uniformity problems on Panasonic plasma TVs.

Before the 30 series, when Panasonic started including 3D functionality on less expensive models, Panasonic TVs had perfect uniformity. Whatever other issues the TVs had, my G10 and V20 had perfect screen uniformity; and I mean perfect. Neither used Panasonic's so called "faster switching phosphors." Thereafter, owners started reporting blobs and bands. On the other hand, the VT20 used faster phosphor technology and, to the best of my knowledge, screen uniformity was as perfect as it gets. Who knows?

Whatever the reason (or reasons), Panasonic has struggled to manufacture perfectly uniform plasma TVs for the last three years.

Makes me nervous to watch 3D on my TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Hi Gel,

Okay, I am not sure I do know how to let the Blu-ray player do the decoding. Any suggestions on how to do it? I thought it was simply a case of turning of the bitstream but that just mute the sound. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Okay, I am not sure I do know how to let the Blu-ray player do the decoding. Any suggestions on how to do it? I thought it was simply a case of turning of the bitstream but that just mute the sound. :)

Well, I don't own a Pioneer BDP, so I'm not familiar with the menu screens, but presumably there's a menu that allows you to change digital audio output options.

Assuming so, you should be able to switch from bitstream to PCM. Once PCM is selected the player will be decoding audio. Maybe a fellow LX55 (or at least Pioneer BDP) owner can guide you through the menu screens in more detail.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Well, I don't own a Pioneer BDP, so I'm not familiar with the menu screens, but presumably there's a menu that allows you to change digital audio output options.

Assuming so, you should be able to switch from bitstream to PCM. Once PCM is selected the player will be decoding audio. Maybe a fellow LX55 (or at least Pioneer BDP) owner can guide you through the menu screens in more detail.

Yep, there is PCM I can select! I will give it a shot soon. That is perfect mate. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just tried it. PCM sounds quite good, not as loud as bitstream though. Not much to say about it really other than not as loud, apart from that it sounds good.

D

Deleted member 2457

Update - it has frozen on me a couple of times, I have then had to restart it again. I suppose it has worked from the off 98 per cent of the time. A little bit of a pain. Once it works it is great but it has frozen a couple of times on me now.

D

Deleted member 2457

It freezes when it is loading up, not when it is playing. It seems to get lost at times when loading sometimes. Not a major issue but a little bit of a pain.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That's my broad concern about Pioneer BDPs. When they work, which is the great majority of the time, they're excellent payers; but Pioneer BDPs occasionally get the hiccups.

What do you think you'll do? Have you decided to keep the player?

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
That's my broad concern about Pioneer BDPs. When they work, which is the great majority of the time, they're excellent payers; but Pioneer BDPs occasionally get the hiccups.

What do you think you'll do? Have you decided to keep the player?

There is not much I think I can do? I had decided to keep it for sure, but it did cross my mind a little. Would it be not fit for purpose? It has the latest firmware update. Don't really want to part with it, as long as it doesn't happen too much I think it will be okay.

Pioneer LX55 is available since November 2011, and is still their current model. It was launched alongside BDP-440. 450 was launched last year, with 150. This year, only 160 has been announced so far. I'm not sure if Pioneer is serious about its blu ray business. Other manufacturers have been consistent with updating their blu ray offerings.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
There is not much I think I can do? I had decided to keep it for sure, but it did cross my mind a little. Would it be not fit for purpose? It has the latest firmware update. Don't really want to part with it, as long as it doesn't happen too much I think it will be okay.

Well, I guess you have two options:

1. Keep the Pioneer and live with the odd glitch

2. Get a refund and consider an alternative BDP

I wouldn't wish to influence any decision you make. I guess it comes down to how much you think occasional freezes when loading certain discs will bother you.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Well, I guess you have two options:

1. Keep the Pioneer and live with the odd glitch

2. Get a refund and consider an alternative BDP

I wouldn't wish to influence any decision you make. I guess it comes down to how much you think occasional freezes when loading certain discs will bother you.

I have owned two other Pioneer Blu-ray players and have not had these issues! I think tomorrow I will phone up the shop and report it for a full refund. Here we go again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts