My Onkyo TX-SR806 Experience

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I just made a slight upgrade on my av receiver. I used to own the 606 but because of the price drop I was tempted to get the 806 by part exchanging the 606. Now, the question is am I happy with the result? Well I guess I am indeed happy but not hugely so. Why? It's because I found the 806 to be bright sounding (especially in stereo) which I really don't like. Perhaps this is because the 806 has exceeded my speaker's recommended power output. The 806 has180 wpc output whereas my speakers has only 150 watts pmpo. I reckon the 606 sounded better (warmer) because it is within the recommended power output. The 606 has only 140 wpc. This is only my own analysis. I maybe wrong as to why my system suddenly became bright after the upgrade. IMO the 606 is the perfect match for my speaker system. But I remain hopeful it will get better as time goes by. Perhaps by doing some tweaking or double checking my cables for connections. At any rate, given the 806's added features and dynamics (e.i., THX, Multi Equalizer, Pre-Outs, etc.) I still consider it as a worthy upgrade for the money. But before I go, can somebody give their own opinion as to why my system became "bright" after my upgrade? Cheers!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, it's a different amp so it's bound to have a different sound. It could be it needs a few days to bed in, or it may just be that it doesn't suit your speakers as well as the 606 did. Possibly some different speaker cable / interconnects may solve the issue - hard to say without some experimentation. Probably best to let it run in for a few days / weeks (depending on how much you use it) and then, if it still is having this issue, get some cables on loan and do some experimenting. If nothing solves it, then I guess it's either another new amp or some speakers which tone the brightness down a touch.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Well, it's a different amp so it's bound to have a different sound. It could be it needs a few days to bed in, or it may just be that it doesn't suit your speakers as well as the 606 did. Possibly some different speaker cable / interconnects may solve the issue - hard to say without some experimentation. Probably best to let it run in for a few days / weeks (depending on how much you use it) and then, if it still is having this issue, get some cables on loan and do some experimenting. If nothing solves it, then I guess it's either another new amp or some speakers which tone the brightness down a touch.
Thanks Prof. I was able to minimize the brightness by experimenting on the tone controls. Increasing the bass tone to maximum +8 to +10db and lowering down the treble to -2db up to flat. I just don't know if it is ok to put the bass to maximum. But in doing so, the sound became warmer.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi liujol,

As you know I got my 806 the same time as you and I agree it sounded bright at first on automated set up.

After playing now for a couple of days I think I've got it sussed.

Auto set up at first to set distances, levels etc.

Then go into the Equalizer menu and change from Audessey to manual you can then adjust all the frequencies to your liking.

I feel the difference is amazing.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts