My new old system

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
For a bit of fun and out of interest I've bought myself a budget system off Ebay and been transported back to the early 90's!

I'd hankered after hearing one of the old Creek amps so when I saw the advert and he was fairly local to me, I went for it.

An absolutely mint Creek 4040 s2 amp, a Revolver Rebel 21 turntable (with Ortofon 510 mkII cartridge), a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 2 speakers, and a pair of Mission stands. The seller had owned the equipment from new (1993) and had clearly looked after his gear over the years. What a smart little box this Creek is, I can fully understand why they were popular back in the day.

Just listening to Steely Dan's Aja and it's sounding pretty damn good. I think the stylus might be on it's last legs, and the speakers are most definitely the weak link in the chain, but it goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy a few LPs.

It's not a replacement for my current Creek/Pro-Ject, but I thought I'd have a play with it for a bit then sell the various components on at a later date without loss I'm sure.

SAM_3208_zps477c9d0e.jpg

SAM_3204_zpse702822a.jpg

..you should have seen the look on my wifes face when I walked in with the boxes
smiley-laughing.gif

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dib.

I still use a Revolver turntable; I think mine's just a Revolver but it's a bit difficult to determine as there are a great many variants. I've had mine for over 20 years and I should get a new belt but I keep putting it off. As for cartridges, the turntable and the Jelco tonearm work very well with budget Audio Technica carts: the AT95e or, if you can find one, the AT110e, go well. I used to have an old Nagoaka MP 11 and that sounded good too. A modern Nagaoka would be great.

In my opinion, the Revolver turntables were fantastic value for money and miles better than modern budget tables; I've compared them and the Revolver is invariably better in terms of realistic vinyl reproduction and tonal balance etc.

Hope you enjoy it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
TBH I'm actually quite gob-smacked about how good this Creek/Revolver/Wharfedale combo is, everything is well over 20 years old.

And this is with an old cartridge and a pair of real "budget" speakers that are as ugly as hell, a bit battered, but sound way, way better than they look.

Makes you think...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
TBH I'm actually quite gob-smacked about how good this Creek/Revolver/Wharfedale combo is, everything is well over 20 years old.

And this is with an old cartridge and a pair of real "budget" speakers that are as ugly as hell, a bit battered, but sound way, way better than they look.

Makes you think...

I am not surprised in the slightest - had a mate round recently, we hung about in our early 20s and he was well into vinyl and he had a Revolver Rebel with AudioLab 8000a with B&Ws and it sounded fanatstci

If I saw a NAD 3020i then I would snap it up - one of the best beer budget amps of its time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts