Question My new home cinema

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone, by a newbie here in this forum from Italy!

i would like to ask some help to build my new home cinema in the new house

here the planimetry of the room I'm gonna use:

1578998976568.png

i have a budget of 5k€ (maybe 6) and i already have a Denon Avr-X1500H (it's a gift and for now i would like to use it).
My idea is to put the screen in "A" wall with the front speaker, central and sub, put the sofa at the right distance and add the rear speker and the "D" wall.

Now, I already used Bower&Wilkins 600 series with an excelent experience, so my idea is to buy the speaker from them.
don't know what to do with the video... TV or Projector?

on the "A" wall no forniture except the minimum to keep the electronic device, instead in "D" wall I will put a kind of "Kallax (Ikea)" system

pease help me :)

Simone

So, am I assuming the seating will be on the opposite wall only up to half?

Speaker placement can be a challenge. The rear speaker placement will depend on where the sofa is placed.

How much dark can you make this room? Instinctively, I think a large TV (75 or 77 inches for example) will work well, but will stretch your budget depending on the model you choose. A projector can be cheaper, but if you can't get the room to be reasonably dark at all times, you'll need to invest in a projector screen suitable for ambient light, like Draper ReAct.

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
yes, the seating will be in the half opposite wall hypothetically. I already have the sofa to put in, and the dimension are 250x115cm.

The room is dark all the time, it's a basement with ony two windows (in the opposide side of this room, both on north side).

I would recommend you look at B&W's in wall speakers and have an acoustically transparent projector screen (the biggest size you can fit there). The speakers can be placed behind the screen. This will look very neat.

Look at the speaker placement in the right side in the picture.

Attachments

• hcd-1-perfect-front-soundstage.jpg
    hcd-1-perfect-front-soundstage.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: scene

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Building a false wall should not be a problem.
Technically why is better to have a configuratione as the right side picture instead the central one?

the in-wall B&W you suggested are the CWM series right?

scene

Technically why is better to have a configuratione as the right side picture instead the central one?

If you're putting a screen up along that short wall (and I wholeheartedly agree with bb on this - as with a basement light levels aren't an issue and you can go bigger than a 75inch TV easily, giving you a truly immersive experience) then you want the seating to be reasonably square on with the screen, Think of being at the cinema, you don't want to be in the seats off to one side, the visuals aren't so good and it's less immersive. So for visuals you want to be facing the screen more than off axis if you're making this a cinema room.

Similarly for the soundstage, If you're putting in a 7.2/5.1.2 surround or atmos system in, there will inevitably be a sweet spot (or spots) where the sound, positioning, movement, etc. is bet. With the Denon and a 7.2/5.1.2 system this area is going to be smaller than if you had a more extreme 9.2.4 (say) system :), but in any case, it's better that this is more on-axis with the screen. I have my screen (it's a TV) in a 5.1 set up in my 6.2x5.9m living room, and because of the lay out, my screen is off to the left of centre, with the fronts equidistant from the screen. The rears are on the side walls, so the right rear is further away than the left rear, and I have one sofa that is off to the right (at right angles to the screen). I would say, to be honest that the soundstage on the right hand sofa is a bit off - the sweet spot is along main sofa. But the imaging is also slightly off because of the large difference in distance between the seating position and the rears.

I would:
- put a transparent projection screen with speakers behind - largest screen feasible (as bb suggests)
- false wall to left to carve out a cinema room
- raked seating (if you want to go for the full "cinema" feel
- 7.1/7.2 or 5.1.2 speaker set up

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I would:
- put a transparent projection screen with speakers behind - largest screen feasible (as bb suggests)
- false wall to left to carve out a cinema room
- raked seating (if you want to go for the full "cinema" feel
- 7.1/7.2 or 5.1.2 speaker set up

agree for the first point, and partially for the others, because ok that will be a "home cinema" but I don't want to close too much the entire area. Same for the raked seats.

About the configuration, with my previous consideration, I think a 5.1.2 is the best I can get.

Check the advice from M&K sound:

With more than 40 years’ experience, M&K Sound has provided studio monitors to Award-Winning blockbusters such as The Lord of The Rings, Pearl Harbor and Star Wars. M&K Sounds’ sound production and speakers have received international recognition.

scene

agree for the first point, and partially for the others, because ok that will be a "home cinema" but I don't want to close too much the entire area. Same for the raked seats.

About the configuration, with my previous consideration, I think a 5.1.2 is the best I can get.
I understand that, For the false wall - could have it partial along the long side, with (say) a ceiling level tracked curtain to close it off as an option when you want the best cinema experience (just a thought)

As for raked seating - it's only if you want to go for a dedicate home cinema room. How many people are going to use the room at one time?

Reactions: bigboss

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I understand that, For the false wall - could have it partial along the long side, with (say) a ceiling level tracked curtain to close it off as an option when you want the best cinema experience (just a thought)

As for raked seating - it's only if you want to go for a dedicate home cinema room. How many people are going to use the room at one time?

totally agree, I already had that idea to use a courtain to "close" the area.

Check the advice from M&K sound:

With more than 40 years’ experience, M&K Sound has provided studio monitors to Award-Winning blockbusters such as The Lord of The Rings, Pearl Harbor and Star Wars. M&K Sounds’ sound production and speakers have received international recognition.
Speakers are of your choice. I've got Monitor Audio in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and they're excellent.

B&W is not mandatory. I just said that I had a great listining experience with B&W.
I'm really open to all opinion to spend the budget in the best way.

What about the Projector/screen and tv alternatives?

JVC and Sony projectors are highly rated. Also Epson projectors are very good. I have the Sony HW40 (now superceded by HW45) which is amazing. But it's only 1080p. Within your budget, look at Epson EH-TW7400 for example.

With regards to projector screens, I have Draper ReAct which is outstanding. But it's not acoustically transparent. Sapphire is also highly rated. Look at acoustically transparent screens which will allow the speakers to be placed behind.

Reactions: DaronK
With regards to front and centre speakers, look at Monitor Audio W280-IDC or W265-IDC. C265 can be used for ceiling speakers for 5.1.2 setup.

Monitor Audio silver series are a tonal match for these speakers, for your rears.

Invest in the biggest subwoofer you can afford. This is the single thing which will make the maximum difference to home cinema experience. SVS subwoofers are amazing and offer good value for money. Go for SB1000 as a minimum, and bigger if budget allows.

Most dealers will offer combined discounts for speaker packages. I got 30% discount on Monitor Audio speakers for example.

Reactions: DaronK

DaronK

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi there, may we discuss also a solution with a TV? in this case is not possibile to place the speaker behind the screen, so should i opt for a stand speaker. What is the best solution I can get in this case?

What type of speakers will you be looking for? Floor standing speakers or wall speakers?

I had Monitor Audio Radius speakers in my previous house. You setup would look like this with them:

$_86.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts