My new GT50

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been hijacking several threads so thought I would start my own.

I have just bought a GT50, 2D blu rays look fanatstic and Im very impressed - I have been using THX cinema mode and have tried to keep stuff with logos etc out of the screen.

I have not recieived my 3D glasses yet but on another forum the 3D capabilities of this set are being described as poor with lots of cross talk - why have no reviews picked this up? A few people have said that after a firmware upgrade its got worse. In all honesty I didnt buy the TV for 3D but at least would of liked to of tried it - feeling a bit let down now

This leads me onto my next point, my Blu Ray player is a Sony BDP360, but is so slow at loading BDs that I am thinking of upgrading to a Panasonic BDT220, is this player a quick loader? I will be able to get some 3D BDs also to enjoy (or so I thouht), but from what I have read the 3D is a dissapointment.

any feedback from you guys? Is the 3D on the GT really as bad as what I have read!

D

Deleted member 2457

Sorry cant help I don't do 3D, but I have only read good things about 3D on this TV. I have read THX mode disables the pixel orbiter so just double check it is on in the picture settings.

D

Deleted member 2457

stevebrock said:
ok pixel orbitor - does that save the screen re: IR

Yes that is how I understand it, so from what I have seen it is major important, and does work! I still watch Sky Sports News but make sure this is on.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
"Orbiter" is disabled in THX mode, but you only need it for logos etc.

"Cinema" is pretty close to THX on my GT30, just kill the contrast. Leave your TV running for 10-hours a day and you're probably covered in 3-weeks. Took the advice/opinion of 200 hours run-in - job done!

D

Deleted member 2457

stevebrock said:
any other tips for running it in?

ive just been watching Bluy Rays since Ive had it, worried about static images though

I just had mine on normal factory settings I have read this is a good way to run it in and the pixel orbiter is always on for sure. I might change the THX mode soon but at the moment I love the picture. With static images don't worry too much as long as the Pixel Orbiter is on it does do its job. Just enjoy the picture and don't worry, it is a very good TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
"Orbiter" is disabled in THX mode, but you only need it for logos etc.

"Cinema" is pretty close to THX on my GT30, just kill the contrast. Leave your TV running for 10-hours a day and you're probably covered in 3-weeks. Took the advice/opinion of 200 hours run-in - job done!

Ah cheers, thought so man that is slightly worrying I think I am going to say on normal settings I love the bright picture against stunning blacks.

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I was a member of the '3D Is A Gimmick' club haviing seen various demos., but I recently watched Avatar in 3D on my GT50 and was very impressed.

I hope you will be too!

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
gel said:
Ah cheers, thought so man that is slightly worrying I think I am going to say on normal settings

Well there is a better way.

I'm happy!
smiley-smile.gif

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Try not to be too critical of the pq,once run-in it will be fanatastic :)

I had my gt30 on all day and night for about 3weeks,kept contrast and brightness down and used the cinema setting.

I recomend using the scrolling bar every now and then....even if you can't see any ir.All proccesing off.

Now run-in i use the thx setting,adjust contrast,colour brightness to taste.The only gripe is the fan can be heard,not as load as my ps3 but still there.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Sizzers said:
And also kill all the processing; ruins the picture to my eyes.

what do you mean? in laymans please !!

In your picture settings you will find extra processing options such as: Vivid Colour, C.A.T.S., P-NR, Clear Cinema, Intelligent Frame Creation etc. (some of these are under “Advanced Settings”). Some look down right weird: try “Intelligent Frame Creation” on max, makes the picture look like Michael Jackson’s “Moonwalk”!

You’ll find descriptions of what they’re for in your manual, or when that particular option is highlighted as you’re scrolling through the settings. Nothing wrong with trying them out to see what you think or how they work or how you like them; it’s your telly and it’s what you’re happy with at the end of the day (and I’m genuinely glad you are!!)

I calibrated my TV using this, which has given me a beautifully natural and stunning picture so why would I ruin it with extra artificial processing?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers said:
stevebrock said:
Sizzers said:

In your picture settings you will find extra processing options such as: Vivid Colour, C.A.T.S., P-NR, Clear Cinema, Intelligent Frame Creation etc. (some of these are under “Advanced Settings”). Some look down right weird: try “Intelligent Frame Creation” on max, makes the picture look like Michael Jackson’s “Moonwalk”! You’ll find descriptions of what they’re for in your manual, or when that particular option is highlighted as you’re scrolling through the settings. Nothing wrong with trying them out to see what you think or how they work or how you like them; it’s your telly and it’s what you’re happy with at the end of the day (and I’m genuinely glad you are!!) I calibrated my TV using this, which has given me a beautifully natural and stunning picture so why would I ruin it with extra artificial processing?

crikey thanks very much!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Just a note, though, that IFC can be useful sometimes for some fast motion TV such as sports for example.

I have fiddled with it in the past and it can have it’s uses under those circumstances, otherwise it just makes everything look animated and rather “glassy” to my eyes. As I said, have a fiddle and see what you think.

jeffro

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers said:
stevebrock said:
Sizzers said:

In your picture settings you will find extra processing options such as: Vivid Colour, C.A.T.S., P-NR, Clear Cinema, Intelligent Frame Creation etc. (some of these are under “Advanced Settings”). Some look down right weird: try “Intelligent Frame Creation” on max, makes the picture look like Michael Jackson’s “Moonwalk”! You’ll find descriptions of what they’re for in your manual, or when that particular option is highlighted as you’re scrolling through the settings. Nothing wrong with trying them out to see what you think or how they work or how you like them; it’s your telly and it’s what you’re happy with at the end of the day (and I’m genuinely glad you are!!) I calibrated my TV using this, which has given me a beautifully natural and stunning picture so why would I ruin it with extra artificial processing?

any chance you could post your calibrated settings please

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jeffro,

There isn’t any point as apart from the fact that you will have a completely different lighting environment, you also have a completely different panel. (mine’s the 42GT30).

If you’re interested in calibrating your TV then I can highly recommend the AVS disc which you can download and burn from where I linked to earlier, and although you’ll need a blue filter you can order one for as good as nothing from here.

All you need to concern yourself with are “Basic Settings”, and there is a written guide on this here. However, on the burned disc there is an excellent hand-holding, step-by-step guide on how to do the calibration.

Hope this helps.

jeffro

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Hi Jeffro, There isn’t any point as apart from the fact that you will have a completely different lighting environment, you also have a completely different panel. (mine’s the 42GT30). If you’re interested in calibrating your TV then I can highly recommend the AVS disc which you can download and burn from where I linked to earlier, and although you’ll need a blue filter you can order one for as good as nothing from here. All you need to concern yourself with are “Basic Settings”, and there is a written guide on this here. However, on the burned disc there is an excellent hand-holding, step-by-step guide on how to do the calibration. Hope this helps.

cheers sizzers for your reply

i'm following 3 threads on the GT.this one,HDTV test & AV forums and i've only found one calibrated settings on pro 1,i think it was HDTV test and i found it a bit dark tbh, i was thinking of paying for a pro calibration but maybe a few users calibrations might work for me,i'm using txh cinema and very impressed with a few tweaks to contrast and brightness has helped

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts