My mind is easily blown

F

FunkyMonkey

I am not new to NAS, and I am quite techy, and so I went the extra mile over easter break and got a MyCloud from Western Digital. Copied all my music over from my NAS the this newer internet-connected MyCloud device.

Now I am work and streaming lossless WAV (or MP3) files using my phone.

I know it's not a big deal in 2018, but I am amazed how easy it all is. And just as importantly, how good it sounds with free equipment (okay my phone was not free but I did not buy it as a hifi device), and cheap (but good quality) equipment (VEHO ZB-6 bluetooth headphones).

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
FunkyMonkey said:
I am not new to NAS, and I am quite techy, and so I went the extra mile over easter break and got a MyCloud from Western Digital. Copied all my music over from my NAS the this newer internet-connected MyCloud device.

Now I am work and streaming lossless WAV (or MP3) files using my phone.

I know it's not a big deal in 2018, but I am amazed how easy it all is. And just as importantly, how good it sounds with free equipment (okay my phone was not free but I did not buy it as a hifi device), and cheap (but good quality) equipment (VEHO ZB-6 bluetooth headphones).

It is good isnt it? I use plex and have a 20+TB server at home with all my movies and ripped CD's on. If I'm at home I play them locally as FLAC with JRiver Media Centre, if I'm anywhere else in the house, I use Plex which means I have access to everything anywhere I go (provided I can get an internet connection).

F

FunkyMonkey

Yes it is great.

Please tell me more about Plex. It was mentioned when I was trying to find out how to use other apps than teh MyCloud app to stream.

It was suggested you can only use MyCloud app as the interface (when out and about)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The Lacie Cloudbox I bought in 2014 was supposed to do all of this but frankly the mobile app was/is attrocious and hasn't been updated since launch five years ago. It was clear from the start Lacie was never going to issue patches for the app to fix the countless bugs. I really don't think whoever designed the app tested that the end to end process of using it to access a remote Cloudbox NAS actually worked. The NAS itself however has been reliable enough, touch wood.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Plex do apps that can be installed on NAS devices but I'm not sure specifically which makes/models.

I went down the route of building my own media server using a small itx motherboard. I prefer to have control over what hardware & software I use rather than having it forced upon me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts