My Home Cinema / Retro Gaming / Retro HiFi / Office / Man Cave

Messiah

Hi All!

Meant to get round to this a while ago when I read that the forum was back (which was great news!).

I moved a little while back and found myself with a converted loft space. The loft still needs to house a lot of stuff that needs storing but I have managed to squeeze as much as I can into compartments on one side. With a realtively clear loft my goal was clear. I now had space for a Man Cave to house a home cinema, my old-skool Hifi, retro gaming set-up and office (due to the recent COVID situation).

I know that we are now onto Dolby Atmos etc but as I last had a come cinema set-up about 10/12 years ago and decided to pick up where I left off as I never got to experience Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Home Cinema Kit

- Pioneer VSX-LX70 receiver
- Pioneer BDP-LX71 blu-ray player
- Pioneer CDP-2950 laserdisc player (retro / memories)
- Sony SLV-E920 VCR (retro / memories)
- Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 Full HD TV (hard to get a TV that is not 4K these days).
- Monitor Audio Radius 90 (latest) fronts
- Monitor Audio Radius 200 centre
- Monitor Audio Radius 90HD on Radius stands (2 pairs but only one pair in use) rears.
- Cambridge Audio S80 sub
- Chord C-Screen speaker cable
- Amazon sub cable
- Generic HDMI

16th April 2020 (4).jpg

16th April 2020 (2).jpg

16th April 2020 (7).jpg

16th April 2020 (10).jpg

HiFi Kit

- Kenwood KA-5050 Amp
- Kenwood DP-3060 CD Player
- Kenwood KX-3060 Tape Deck
- Kenwood KT-3050 Tuner
- Mission 750LE
- Generic chunky speaker cable

16th April 2020 (11).jpg

16th April 2020 (12).jpg

16th April 2020 (1).jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

Good to see you back! I love your gear very cool. 👍

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi All!

Meant to get round to this a while ago when I read that the forum was back (which was great news!).

I moved a little while back and found myself with a converted loft space. The loft still needs to house a lot of stuff that needs storing but I have managed to squeeze as much as I can into compartments on one side. With a realtively clear loft my goal was clear. I now had space for a Man Cave to house a home cinema, my old-skool Hifi, retro gaming set-up and office (due to the recent COVID situation).

I know that we are now onto Dolby Atmos etc but as I last had a come cinema set-up about 10/12 years ago and decided to pick up where I left off as I never got to experience Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Home Cinema Kit

- Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 Full HD TV (hard to get a TV that is not 4K these days).
- Monitor Audio Radius 90HD on Radius stands (2 pairs but only one pair in use) rears.
- Amazon sub cable
- Generic HDMI

View attachment 1084

View attachment 1085

View attachment 1086

View attachment 1087

HiFi Kit

- Kenwood KA-5050 Amp
- Kenwood KT-3050 Tuner
- Mission 750LE

View attachment 1088

View attachment 1089

View attachment 1090

I just went wow...that is one dedicated awesome setup :)

Messiah

So, it’s been a while since any update it seems!

I have now moved the Home Cinema stuff to the Living Room leaving just the HiFi in the loft. (There will be a new thread about that).

I have added some of the final photos and some in its new home. (If this works!)1.JPG
3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg8.jpg5.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi All!

Home Cinema Kit

- Amazon sub cable
- Generic HDMI

View attachment 1084

View attachment 1085

View attachment 1086

View attachment 1087

HiFi Kit

- Kenwood KA-5050 Amp
- Kenwood KT-3050 Tuner
- Mission 750LE

View attachment 1088

View attachment 1089

View attachment 1090
Pioneer LX71 - thats when manufacturers took disc play seriously, built like a tank great piece of kit

Messiah

Pioneer LX71 - thats when manufacturers took disc play seriously, built like a tank great piece of kit
It's a great player, a little slow, but the picture is gorgeous.

Would really like a Pioneer 4K player but they don't seem to be made anymore (also read a WHF article about this recently) and prices on eBay are, let's say, a little steep!!

Messiah

The Pioneer AVR has now been replaced with a Denon 3700H.

The rear right channel died. Whilst I could have gotten it repaired it gave me a chance to bring my AVR into modern times.

Ideally I wanted another Pioneer AVR to keep it all Pioneer branded but due to the lack of Pioneer AVRs recently there was nothing really suitable for what I wanted to pay.

So, this lead to the Denon. What a superb AVR!

Enough has been said about Denon AVRs so I won't bang on about that. But, what I will say is that watching stuff in Atmos (via streaming services - and not even a proper Atmos set up as I am still using standard 5.1 speaker placement), sound engineers seemed to have finally utilised the surround channels to full effect. Stuff sounds soooo good! (Denon does also have a mode that enhances the rears so that may also be having an impact).

The whole thing is just so much more immersive. Well pleased with the purchase. 😊

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Messiah

Update time (possibly lengthy post!).

(If you don’t want to read it all, the Pioneer BD player, DVD player and LD player have been replaced with a PS5 and Marantz CD6007).

I like components to match so decided to replace the Pioneer BD player and DVD player with a Denon model - ideally the DBT-3313. (Whilst I have a 4K TV and 4K AVR, standard blu-ray still looks great to me and 2nd hand discs are pretty cheap).

The relevant model came up on eBay from a seller with 100% feedback over many years. I am really fussy with condition so messaged them to see if there were any marks/scratches (as the pics were not that clear) and was told there were none. Bought it.

BD player turned up and not only was it covered in marks and dents (some clearly covered up with a black marker) but it also did not work. Gutted. After a little back and forth the player was returned for a refund.

Decided at this point (as I was gonna get one eventually) to buy a PS5 to take care of video duties. At least I would have the satisfaction that it was new AND it played 4K - only downside was no CD playback.

Have used it a few times now and I have to say that I am really impressed with the performance. (I did get the dedicated remote).

This left me with the need for a CD player. Seeing as the Pioneer LD player was sitting there looking pretty I decided to hook this up. The good news. It sounded great (surprisingly good to be honest). The bad news. It kept skipping. Used a lens cleaner (Allsop) CD that I have used on other players to good effect, but CDs (and Laserdiscs) still skipped.

I do have someone local that repairs Hifi but I have to weigh up the cost of this (and at this point I have no idea whether it’s a simple fix or costly/unrepairable), versus getting something else. Given how old the LD player is and that, even if repaired, there is no guarantee that it would not develop another fault given its age, I decided to get a dedicated CD player.

Did not want to spend too much as I do not expect it to get much use in the current location. Came across a Denon DCD-520AE from a different seller and again asked if there were any marks / scratches. Was agin told there were none.

CD player turns up, and you guessed it, a few marks and a long scratch down the front. (Why can’t sellers be honest!). On top of this, the player would skip.

Contacted the seller who provided an immediate refund and did not want the player back so I think they knew this was going to happen.

Moving on I decided to just bite the bullet and bought a new Marantz CD6007. (Whilst this does not match the Denon there is some method to this madness as I was always planning to replace my Kenwood gear (which will be going to my Mum) with a Marantz CD6007 and PM6007 - more on that when I update my Hifi thread).

Front Room Jan 24.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts