My home cinema pics

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and your tray ceiling would allow you to install some mode lighting for not much money....see http://www.visualchillout.co.uk/lounge-twin3.htm.

I've added a tray ceiling to my living room so that I can do something similar to the picture below.....all controllable across my wireless network.

ml21g092037.jpg

Hi, the Monitor Audio in-wall speakers will work very well for you. You're welcome to demo at my place if you want. Dealer demos of in-wall speakers are difficult.

I went for WT280-IDC instead of WT380-IDC because I.wanted all speakers from the same series for better tonal match. I wanted smaller rears, surrounds and Atmos speakers but Trimless 300 only did 8-inch versions. I am very happy with the performance my speakers.

Thanks for the Visual Chillout link. Incidentally, I have installed some mood lighting in the ceiling from the same manufacturer (exactly the product you have linked). It is annoying though, that they switch on when I use the Oppo remote!!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I used to live in York. I went to the Uni for my post graduate studies and worked for a while at the Central Science Laboratory as a Research Scientist. However, I now live in Dorset so it's a bit too far for a demo. Many thanks for the offer :)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just had another reply from the technical department at MA. They indicate that in-wall speakers without a supplied back box (eg CT265) can be placed into a box, allowing on-wall installation. As a rule of thumb, they recommend a box volume of 13 litres. Interestingly, they state this is the best volume for all of their custom installation speakers.

For me, this suggests that you should aim for a void of around 13 litres behind MA speakers when installing them in-wall (assuming they are not from the Controlled Performance range).

For the avoidance of doubt, here's their reply to my question regarding suitable speakers to partner with the CP WT380-IDC fronts.

Hi PJPro

Another good thing about our custom installation products is that they can be mixed and matched to a certain extent. If you weren’t worried about having a back box on the rear speakers (the back box will reduce the sound traveling into the adjoining room by about 30dB) then you can use the CT265 if you wanted to. If going for a 7.1 system, you could also consider the CT265-FX.

You can make a back box for the normal CI speakers if you want. The best volume to aim for is around 13 litres and this applies to them all.

I hope this helps?

Best Regards

Technical Services Department

My original enquiry to Monitor Audio was about the CP range. They replied saying that performance is similar to Trimless 200 but also prevents sound leakage. So if I wasn't bothered about sound leakage into adjoining room, the Trimless 200 will be equally good.

The 13 litres requirement for an external box is interesting, so that's the volume of the back box in CP range! Would that apply to both 6.5 inch as well as 8 inch speakers??

Yes, that's why there's lots of fabric in the room: fabric sofas, curtains, carpet and canvas photo on the wall stuffed with rockwool. I took advice of my friend's brother who owns a recording studio and has experience in acoustic treatment. I'm happy with the sound now.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am huge on Room acoustics importance as you know

Canvas is generally not acoustically transparent - if its woven material with holes then thats different - it needs to be to work as an absorber. It also needs to be pretty big to do any damage to the reverb of the room which will be high with plain walls and wood floor.

Material sofa didnt do anything in my room because they are mostly hollow wood frames and again the material used is not normally designed to allow air through or anywhere near thick enough - might do a bit at high freq though.

Same as people tellng you books work as diffusors they dont this is proven

If your happy this is irrelevant but its important for other people reading I think to know

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even if a sofa wouldn't make a difference from an absorption point of view, a normal fabric type one won't reflect high frequencies like a leather or leather look one.

I would say that books turned with their spine against the wall would make a difference too, particularly if they're not set flush with each other (of course, no one is going to do that - but old used books are a nice cheap way of cutting down on reflections though :)).

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi BB, can you still buy your screen for your projector?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yes, they now have an upgraded version. Ellisdj demoed it at a trade show recently.
Cheers, I remember reading that, I will google it. Ta.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi bigboss how are you doing?

It's been a while since I've been in these forums. I know this is your thread but without any messaging and I can see you're still active in here I though't I'd ask here.

Did you ever experience your Kuro making any crackling sounds a bit like arching while it was running? If so did you find out what it was? I will ask generally in the main forum but wondered if it happened to you.

Nothin visible on the picture and I haven't had a chance to look through the vent holes in the top to see anything while it's turned on. Non of the cables in my set up seem loose either.

GP

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
did you upgrade your sub to the arendal or still got the dxd? (still says you do in gear list) if you did upgrade would be good to hear what you think about it

No I didn't upgrade, still got my DXD. I was in 2 minds about upgrading it. Fall in GBP value vs Euro made me stop looking at it for now. I'll probably put off the purchase until end of the year or even next year. How's your Arendal?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
No I didn't upgrade, still got my DXD. I was in 2 minds about upgrading it. Fall in GBP value vs Euro made me stop looking at it for now. I'll probably put off the purchase until end of the year or even next year. How's your Arendal?

it's great, it's hard to tell to my ears for music but it does sound better as it is sealed, less of a boom is the right word and no bass overhang i think it's called like ported subs can have? still goes super low. better extension than my old ported dali, has a way better design and finish looks amazing. bigger driver is also a positive. although the sub is only as good as how loud you can have it! only had 1 film night at quite loud volumes and it does impress. for example watching batman v superman on the dali it sounded like it was ready to give up during some very low LFE moments but the arendal can keep on going, the much better amp power helps here. very pleased, i would probably try and go duals in the future unless i get the itch to sell it and go for a single sub 2..

the new placement also helps not just in the sound but like what i was originally going for when upgrading was to feel the bass also like at the cinema i have achieved. probably not to the same extent as i was hoping but i will have to see if pushing the volume will help! *ROFL*

i'd of happily gave you a demo if you was close/around nottingham way *smile*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts