My hi fi project - advice & suggestions welcome.

rjjackson

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Right then,

I've recently come into possession of some Wharfedale Valdus 500 speakers. These are the old versions (but practically unchanged) of the current Xarus 5000 speakers seen here:

http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/hi-fi/hifi-speaker/wha-xarus5000-black/product

What I'm looking to do is replace the drivers as they're shot, possibly the tweeter (was prone to blowing) and anything else you guys can suggest to improve the functionality of these floorstanders - further insulation, porting etc. Then I'm looking for advice on a suitable amplifier with the power to drive my creation to the fullest.

I have to admit I've only touched active speakers in the past (last set up was 2 Mackie SRM 450's) so I'm a complete novice with building a functioning tower and matching a suitable amplifier. I've found multiple 8" drivers on eBay for relatively cheap but I'm unsure which will be suitable for what amplifier.

If you're able to offer me some advice I would like to clarify some points:

1) This speaker will be used for music only and used at very high volumes. I'm hosting a party which is the sole function of these units. I'm not interested in clear, high fidelity and accurate sound. I'll be happy to compromise on those points for a larger sound footprint, heavier bass and a more general 'night club' feeling.

2) The music that will be played will be a mixture of: House music, current and past chart / dance anthems. Nothing too technical or demanding.

3) The room size is approx 30m by 30m and will be catering for approximately 30 - 40 people.

4) I'm looking to surpass the sound offered by the current Xarus 5000 for relatively the same price.

5) Looking to spend up to £200 for a suitable amlifier - second hand if it means I can get a higher performance unit.

So there we go, I don't ask for much do I?!

A cabinet that has a large presence, can push high volumes over a sustained period - matched to a suitable amplifier that wont clip or overheat.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do - what would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out!

Rob.

JessNell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I would buy new speakers to be honest! Try Cambridge Audio. For used, on eBay, the world is your oyster to be honest.
smiley-smile.gif

rjjackson

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea I did think about doing that but I love to tinker. Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two along the way also!

Problem with buying new speakers is I wouldn't want to put them in front of drunk party goers. The cabinets are going to take a knock or two over this year so I have no problem using the cabinets I've been given. I'm doing this so I don't have to subject my KRK VXT 8's to the abuse!

If I can outfit this cabinet with drivers of a much higher quality than standard Wharfedales for pretty much the same price as buying new, it seems like a no brainer for me?!

I've narrowed down the driver selection to these two (unles anyone knows of any others more suitable?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Stage-Line-SPA-8PA-8-Inch-Bass-Mid-Range-PA-Speaker-Driver-DIY-Parts-300W-/121209988660?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1c38ada634

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-8-Inch-1000W-Max-Kevlar-Speaker-Driver-Cones-Replacement-Parts-DJ-Disco-PA-/151135395333?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item23305f1e05

As for amplifier choice the vast majority of Hi Fi amps I've seen (Harman Kardon KH3490 for example) are running at around 80w - 120w per channel, would this be sufficient to drive speakers such as these? Or would a PA amplifier running at 250w per channel be more suitable?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully your answers will serve to help people in my position in the future!

Rob.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Nad c370 is the only (hifi) amp in your budget that won't blow, but let me tell you you're asking too much.

Valdus 500's are ok as house party speakers but your room is insanely large 30mx30m is ridiculous.

You need a sub with those speakers although they do have unparelelled response for anything (not pa) remotely near the price to around 70 hz.

I'd advise STRONGLY (if it's only for parties) getting some active 15 inch pa speakers.

Repairing them won't be cost effective, equivalent 8 inch bass drivers will be £15 each.

IF you want to do it this way and use valdus 500's get a second hand behringer amp capable of pushing 1000w"rms" a side (realistically 800)

Then get 3-4 sets from ebay (they often go below £50) and wire them (daisy chain/paralell) so the load is acceptable all off one side of the amp, run them all mono and spead them around the room. Valdus 400's would be better to be honest for this.

On the other side of the amp to a subwoofer and buy a cheap behringer crossover to split the signal from ebay. For subs try and get a fane collossus xb/sb/one of the ones that can take 600wrms+(the old model) or try another brand second hand (do a search there are some diy pa forums around that sell used drivers, there's loads you could use) and build an 8 cubic feet enclosure tuned around 45hz.

Final alternative is to build your own pa cabs, again probably too expensive.

Seriously anything other than active pa speakers from ebay in your budget is probably going to end in tears.....if you try one of the more exotic options let me know I'll try and help but I 100% do not recommend it.

rjjackson

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Woops, my bad. Its actually 30ft by 30ft not meters!!

Cheers for the advice. I'm not interested in going down the PA route again however. Getting a decent set of Mackie srms or JBL eons is a touch out the budget. Plus they are far too much for what I want, 120SPL in a room my size is just annoying and ear splitting.

With regard to cost I'm happy to replace the drivers for £150 - 200. Then spending another £200 on an amp to drive them.

In your opinion is the amp you've mentioned the best suited for this application?

Rob.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
rjjackson said:
Woops, my bad. Its actually 30ft by 30ft not meters!!

Cheers for the advice. I'm not interested in going down the PA route again however. Getting a decent set of Mackie srms or JBL eons is a touch out the budget. Plus they are far too much for what I want, 120SPL in a room my size is just annoying and ear splitting.

With regard to cost I'm happy to replace the drivers for £150 - 200. Then spending another £200 on an amp to drive them.

In your opinion is the amp you've mentioned the best suited for this application?

Rob.

Nad c370 is the only (hifi) amp I've had that will not overheat with valdus 500s. If you take care of it though you can use it in the future for a real hifi setup (not for parties), new equivalent is going to be around £4-500+ roughly I think

To be honest you have to realise though that it's not worth the cost of upgrading the drivers. They are fantastic value for house parties if you get a fully functioning set (look on ebay). But the cabinets are terrible so I wouldn't bother replacing the drivers.

But the cabinet is a real piece of #### (it's 1/2inch chipboard). So there's no point putting far better drivers in there, especially as they won't be optimised for the too small space of the valdus cabinets.

If you want to do it go ahead but I think you'd get better bass from buying a another set of valdus 400's/500's (easily under £100) then spend the rest of the money on a subwoofer from ebay eg sw150 or mordaunt short 10 inch subs.

Alternative is to buy a set of mission 753's for around £150-200 I'd guess. They are actually a good speaker (unlike the valdus) and will still get loud.

To be honest though I'd get a second hand set of £3-400 15 inch pa speakers, then just eq the bass where you want it, probably way above the rest because as you said 120db would be screecy/awful, so run it 105-115 with the bass mear capacity with a parametric eq. You will then be able to sell them for prety much what you bought them when you're finished with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts