My first turntable

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am about to get my first turntable. I have no spesific budget yet, will plan some shop visit for the next week. Any advice what to avoid, concentrate on, etc? Does it worth to go for second hand units?

it will be connected to Rotel RA-1570 powering B&W CM9

Thanks,

Tomas

Tomas said:
I am about to get my first turntable. I have no spesific budget yet, will plan some shop visit for the next week. Any advice what to avoid, concentrate on, etc? Does it worth to go for second hand units?

it will be connected to Rotel RA-1570 powering B&W CM9

Thanks,

Tomas

Do you actually own any records?

Will this be your only source or do you own a CD player? Oops, ignore that, just seen your signature...... ;-)

The reason I ask is, on the cheap, you are not going to get anywhere near CD quality sound. If you don't know what you are looking for then avoid second hand.

There are plenty of threads on here that ask the same question about first turntable.

My advice is not to be caught up in the vinyl upsurge just because it's a fad, and especially if you don't already own any LP's, unless you have a good amount of cash you can pump into a set up.

My advice, if you wish to proceed, is to visit a reputable dealer.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I owe small collection from a long time ago when we (back than my dad) had record player. I am supriesd about other forums as there is guide negative wibe against vinils? I am not doing it coz it is in at the moment, I just want to have different sound.

I might stay with my orriginal plan and invest in better CD player(with digital input) and leave this for later. Or will just compare the sound of 1k record player against 1k cd player...

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Tomas

Tomas said:
I owe small collection from a long time ago when we (back than my dad) had record player. I am supriesd about other forums as there is guide negative wibe against vinils? I am not doing it coz it is in at the moment, I just want to have different sound.

I might stay with my orriginal plan and invest in better CD player(with digital input) and leave this for later. Or will just compare the sound of 1k record player against 1k cd player...

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Tomas

I don't want to put you off vinyl Tomas, but 1k what? Pounds, U.S. dollars, Roubles? Where in the world are you?

Ultimately the performance of a turntable is down to its tonearm / cartridge combination. Listen to as many as you can but do not buy one that comes as a package with a cheap cartridge pre-fitted, it's not the best way to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts