My First Turntable Setup

canadaspenguin13

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello All!

I am new here and wanted to join in because after doing tons of research and getting bombarded with the ridiculous amount of information that is out there about turntables, pre amps, speakers and such, I wanted a more refined set of recomendations. Ive narrowed down my choices a bit and because I have no local shops to go test out my options, I was hoping to find someone who is using or has used any combination of what I am looking at.

My system is going to be the following: a marantz av 5009 connected to two Def Tech SB55's. Those are pretty much set. But I need advice on my TT and phono stage choices. I am really looking at either the Rega RP 1 because of the good reviews and upgradability in the future or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Now, I could reach into the depths of my patience and save for either the RP3 or Pro-Ject Essentials Carbon but I haven't seen any groundbreaking reasons to do so.

As for my phono stage, because the marantz doesn't have a phono amp, I am torn between the rega fono mini, pro-ject phono box S, music fidelity v90 or splurging and getting the pro-ject tube s.

The turntable I am willing to wait to spend up to 8 maybe 9 hundred dollars if I can find reason to do so. The phono stage I'd like to stay around/under 500. Any other reccomendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Crispion

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, have you thought of going on eBay for an older more vintage turntable,the reason being ,I've just started using my Pioneer PL 514' again, I bought it in 1977' it still sounds great I've just changed the belt,but it wasn't broke,it cost £6, they were solid decks back then you see some real bargains, I had to buy a phono preamp, because i ve got an Arcam solo with no phono stage, I bought a Cambridge Audio,sounds good

Crispion

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, have you thought of going on eBay for an older more vintage turntable,the reason being ,I've just started using my Pioneer PL 514' again, I bought it in 1977' it still sounds great I've just changed the belt,but it wasn't broke,it cost £6, they were solid decks back then you see some real bargains, I had to buy a phono preamp, because i ve got an Arcam solo with no phono stage, I bought a Cambridge Audio,sounds good

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Crispion said:

Hi, just noticed this old post from you. I recently got me an Arcam Solo too and have the Cambridge 640P phono stage coming in the mail today. Can you advise me what is the best way to connect, which inputs to use on the rear. Considering I also have an Onkyo CD changer to connect aswell. I use that when I'm entertaining friends or guests. Thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Chances of you getting a reply from Crispion are close to none seeing he's not logged in for two years. You can plug the output from the phono preamp into any line-input on the back of your amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts