My First Hi-Fi -Where would you start?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. This is my first post and I really need some advice on putting together my first ever system.

I have a budget of about £350 for which i want Speakers(Bookshelf), Amplifier and CD player. I will be setting the system up in a small room approx 3mts x 4mts. Most of my music is either on Cd or stored on my PC.

I have no problem with buying used stuff of any age if it gets me more bang for my buck. Where should I start and what would you do or consider in my situation?

matthewpiano

Firstly, a few questions about your priorities, which will help us to guide you.

1. Is CD replay important to you, or would you be happy to rip your CDs to the computer and look at a PC-based set-up?

2. What kinds of music do you listen to?

3. Do you know what sort of sound you want? Are you after something that is comfortable and easy to listen to, or something that sounds brighter, faster and more like a live event?

A

Anonymous

hi mathewpiano & thanks for your reply

All my CD's are now ripped to my PC and i now download all my music in mp3 format. Currently i mostly listen to my music on my mp3 player(not an ipod) or i conect the player via the headphone output to a midi system.

So yes if i could interface my PC to my new set up(wireless??) or use a netbook or conect my mp3 player then I guess that would be an option i would like to explore. I'm not sure whats best or if i loose quality by connecting my mp3 player via its headphone socket. I would certainley like to understand what what options i have. I just thought that with my budget I would be best sticking with a traditional set up. However I would be prepared to stetch the budget order to save burning all my downloaded music back to cd.

I lisen to all types of music. But I guess 70% rock/pop 20% jazz and 10% classical.

In terms of the sound I think i definately prefer "brighter/faster".

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
sevlow:
hi mathewpiano & thanks for your reply

All my CD's are now ripped to my PC and i now download all my music in mp3 format. Currently i mostly listen to my music on my mp3 player(not an ipod) or i conect the player via the headphone output to a midi system.

So yes if i could interface my PC to my new set up(wireless??) or use a netbook or conect my mp3 player then I guess that would be an option i would like to explore. I'm not sure whats best or if i loose quality by connecting my mp3 player via its headphone socket. I would certainley like to understand what what options i have. I just thought that with my budget I would be best sticking with a traditional set up. However I would be prepared to stetch the budget order to save burning all my downloaded music back to cd.

I lisen to all types of music. But I guess 70% rock/pop 20% jazz and 10% classical.

In terms of the sound I think i definately prefer "brighter/faster".

If you do not want CD replay and you want brighter/faster and could stretch the budget this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVI-ADM9-Active-Speakers-Inc-DAC-Legacy-ADM9-1-System-/190393785471?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item2c545a9c7f

would be good for the money. It may go far over your budget but if it stays around £450 it would be a steal. you should be aware that there is only one rca and one optical connection so if your PC does not have optical you would want something like an airport express to stream music via wireless (about £60)to take advantage of the built in DAC. they do come up on e-bay every now and then so could save up a bit!

Richer sounds also do some great system deals, get on the VIP mail list and there could be some options there.
Richer sounds

matthewpiano

Alternatively, as you like a brighter, faster sound look at the following:

Pioneer A400 (about £100 2nd hand)
Roth Oli 2 speakers (£150 but widely available new for £100)

A great combination - superlative imaging, plenty of speed and attack but real tonal fidelity as well and never harsh sounding.

Add a DAC such as the Beresford Caiman or the MF V-DAC, and you'll be well away.

Only thing I would say is make sure your music files are at least 320kb and preferably lossless - the Pioneer/Roth combo is very revealing!

Agree entirely with Chebby - get an external hard drive as well.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Alternatively, as you like a brighter, faster sound look at the following: Pioneer A400 (about £100 2nd hand) Roth Oli 2 speakers (£150 but widely available new for £100) A great combination - superlative imaging, plenty of speed and attack but real tonal fidelity as well and never harsh sounding. Add a DAC such as the Beresford Caiman or the MF V-DAC, and you'll be well away. Only thing I would say is make sure your music files are at least 320kb and preferably lossless - the Pioneer/Roth combo is very revealing! Agree entirely with Chebby - get an external hard drive as well.

second this combo....... the Caiman is a fantastic bit of kit..it is also great with headphones as well.

A

Anonymous

Guys

Thanks so much for the advice. There are some great buys on ebay for both the A400 and Roth Oli speakers and for the price I'm thinking of going down that path.

My files are backed up to two external hard drives one connected to the PC and one I keep elswhere.

Excuse my ignorance but whats a DAC!

A

Anonymous

basically very basically........A DAC or Digital anlogue converter.

will make all your computer files sound much better if you connect the DAC via usb or optical to your computer and also to your amp via phono leads.

DACS are found in lots of audio equipment such as a cd players......where it transfers the digital information off a cd into an analogue signal for your amp.

DAC's are now widley being manufactured as the onset of using a pc and digital files as a main source increase.

If you are going to use your PC as the main source I would highly recommend one......

you will find the DAC reviews under CD subheadinh on this site

D....sorry about any spelling

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the idiots guide - much appreciated

So i physically connect my laptop to the DAC. you say via USB/optical( but wont i have to connect to the soundcard). My existing soundcard only has headphone type output. Then i just play my tracks via itunes or winamp?

A

Anonymous

The leading budget DAC's at the moment are....

Cambidge audio DAC Magic £ 230

Music fidelity VDAC £ 150

Bersford Caiman £250.......there is also the version before TC-7510 which is about half the price.

Firestone Spitfire £250

CYP AU-D3 DAC £42...............probably not right for you but still.......

I am sure there are plenty of others.

If you can afford it eek out the budget a bit to include a decent DAC for all those audio files on your computer and you will reep the rewards.

A

Anonymous

if you connect your computer to an external DAC via usb or optical it will bypass the computers internal DAC automatically

A

Anonymous

The first thing to do is go onto your sound settings on your pc and see whether you have an SPDIF output, it should tell you on that very first screen that opens. If you do and you can't go any higher with your budget, then I would also recommend that you look on ebay or a certain other forum for a Beresford 7510 dac which I have had now for quite a.while and am mightily pllased with the sound quality it has offered me. The only other thing to add is get some speaker stands to, definitely recommended, doesn't matter whether old or new really as long as they are sturdy
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

sevlow:
Guys

Thanks so much for the advice. There are some great buys on ebay for both the A400 and Roth Oli speakers and for the price I'm thinking of going down that path.

My files are backed up to two external hard drives one connected to the PC and one I keep elswhere.

Excuse my ignorance but whats a DAC!

The A400/Oli 2 combination is a hell of a lot of hi-fi quality for minimal outlay. Let us know how you get on if you do take this route!

A

Anonymous

I'm watching a couple of A400's on ebay. One is a GTE version (Modified by Tom Evans) although thats £185 start, The standard version seems to go for around £70-£120. I also see a lot of A300's again with a few modified by TE.

still confused about the DAC. My laptop and PC only have headphone outputs. I could change my pc souncard to a better one but then will have to cable from that to hifi which is a pain. Changing sound card on laptop is not an option. Any advice sugestions would be welcome but tanks to you all for taking the time to help out - much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry I thought i'd explained,

If your laptop has a USB socket then you can connect to the DAC via that. You don't have to wory about the headphone outputs or your soundcard, which will be bypassed when connected to the DAC.

Is your amp going to be nowhere near your amplifier when you get it .? .

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
if you laptop has usb then buy a usb dac. if not have a look at the manuel and there is always some form of digital out, often doubled up in the 3.5mm headphone socket.

matthewpiano

Thought a bit more information about the sound of the Pioneer/Roth combination might help you.

This system is all about clarity, detail, soundstaging and surprising accuracy for the price. It never gets harsh or too bright but, at the same time, it wouldn't be the system of choice for anyone who likes their music in the background. With this combination it is more like sitting close to the front at the concert. Playing Metallica's black album earlier was like being thrown straight into the snake pit! It doesn't flatter poor recordings and it doesn't add bass that isn't there but even with less well recorded music you get a vibrant and rhythmic presentation of the music that still manages to involve you completely.

Vocals are excellent with a sense of airiness around them that you don't usually hear with budget kit and the seperation between instruments is excellent, even when the textures get thick and complicated. It also manages intimacy well on small-scale acoustic material - when I played 'Solitary Man' this afternoon I could shut my eyes and almost believe that Johnny Cash was sat there playing and singing in front of me.

So, if you want your music to blend into the surroundings this isn't going to be for you. It demands you listen to the music and the number of times I've found my feet tapping vigorously in the last few days in testament to how involving it is.

Nearest to?? I'd say a poor man's Cyrus + ProAc combination (obviously not as good, but very much in that spirit).

A

Anonymous

Mathew - sounds perfect

Do you stream your music to your amp?

matthewpiano

I mostly listen to CDs from my Rotel '965BX, but I do sometimes stream music from my computer using the Squeezebox which also sounds excellent. Any music I have stored on my computer's external hard drive is lossless - usually ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). I like the interface the Squeezebox provides. Still a CD-nut at heart though.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Thought a bit more information about the sound of the Pioneer/Roth combination might help you. This system is all about clarity, detail, soundstaging and surprising accuracy for the price. It never gets harsh or too bright but, at the same time, it wouldn't be the system of choice for anyone who likes their music in the background. With this combination it is more like sitting close to the front at the concert. Playing Metallica's black album earlier was like being thrown straight into the snake pit! It doesn't flatter poor recordings and it doesn't add bass that isn't there but even with less well recorded music you get a vibrant and rhythmic presentation of the music that still manages to involve you completely. Vocals are excellent with a sense of airiness around them that you don't usually hear with budget kit and the seperation between instruments is excellent, even when the textures get thick and complicated. It also manages intimacy well on small-scale acoustic material - when I played 'Solitary Man' this afternoon I could shut my eyes and almost believe that Johnny Cash was sat there playing and singing in front of me. So, if you want your music to blend into the surroundings this isn't going to be for you. It demands you listen to the music and the number of times I've found my feet tapping vigorously in the last few days in testament to how involving it is. Nearest to?? I'd say a poor man's Cyrus + ProAc combination (obviously not as good, but very much in that spirit).

Hey Matthew,

Randomly I was listening to the Black album today as well...........................best heavy album ever.....at least one of the contenders. I was listening on the new Dali's and it was absolutly brutal......almost sounded live...if you know what I mean..

will have to try it on the Roth's upstairs larer....gld to hear your still getting on with them.

D

T

the record spot

brittondave:

Bersford Caiman £250.......there is also the version before TC-7510 which is about half the price.

Firestone Spitfire £250

If you can afford it eek out the budget a bit to include a decent DAC for all those audio files on your computer and you will reep the rewards.

Another would be the M-Audio Transit, £50-60 depending on where you buy. Looks like a great little device, easy to carry around and apparently excellent in operation.

Other option is the Apple Airport Express, which, for £80 allows you to dispense with wires, and spending another £20 gets you a licence to use Airfoil, a 3rd party appliction that then puts any source on your PC/laptop or Mac through the Apple AE - BBC Radio, WinAmp, Spotify, etc, etc. Brilliant little app and this is the set-up I use at home when not using the main stereo source (the AE just hooks up to the Sansui amp and it comes out through the Missions). Sounds great too.

Amp shout - tight budget? Sansui AU-217. Best kept secret out there, get one in good nick, partner it with a pair of reasonably sensitive speakers (circa 88db minimum), wire in and off you go. I find it quite transparent in operation, doesn't appear to add or detract much from the music at hand. Rather good in as much as mine cost me £33 off Ebay, serviced and delivered all in. I wouldn't part with it now. Seriously recommended, even more than the Apple AE/Airfoil option.

T

the record spot

brittondave:

Firestone Spitfire £250

Another would be the M-Audio Transit, £50-60 depending on where you buy. Looks like a great little device, easy to carry around and apparently excellent in operation.

Other option is the Apple Airport Express, which, for £80 allows you to dispense with wires, and spending another £20 gets you a licence to use Airfoil, a 3rd party appliction that then puts any source on your PC/laptop or Mac through the Apple AE - BBC Radio, WinAmp, Spotify, etc, etc. Brilliant little app and this is the set-up I use at home when not using the main stereo source (the AE just hooks up to the Sansui amp and it comes out through the Missions). Sounds great too.

Amp shout - tight budget? Sansui AU-217. Best kept secret out there, get one in good nick, partner it with a pair of reasonably sensitive speakers (circa 88db minimum), wire in and off you go. I find it quite transparent in operation, doesn't appear to add or detract much from the music at hand. Rather good in as much as mine cost me £33 off Ebay, serviced and delivered all in. I wouldn't part with it now. Seriously recommended, even more than the Apple AE/Airfoil option.

T

the record spot

brittondave:

Firestone Spitfire £250

TRENDING THREADS