my DREAM system. oh, maybe one day...

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
They should, according to the objective theory.

In the past, I have tried to play a cd player via an optical in on a receiver ( a Teac 5.1 from abt 2002) and it sounded really bad - I was very surprised. Not that there was difference, but that it was so big, as if it was broken or decoding wrongly.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Almaataz,

Couple of questions,

Did you ever do an audition or anything of the B and W M1 computer speakers?

How are you finding the Genelecs after a few months?

What system do you listen to most in your house?

Many Thanks

Um

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry totally missed the page where you actually purchased the MM1's and loved them. :oops: :read:

what about MM1's vs Genelecs?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Um said:
Hi Almaataz,

Couple of questions,

Many Thanks

Um

I find MM1s excellent. they do have boosted bass (possibly DSP-based variable loudness compensation) which I think is great for low level use which I have (bedroom). I am very happy with them.

The Genelecs are excellent, too. As they are white, they fit the decor well, the stands are great for mounting and they sound excellent. Perfect speakers when you need small ones.

As for which ones get most airtime -

- the least time is the mm1s in the bedroom as we only have them on occasionally (slow weekend mornings mainly and sometimes briefly evenings).

- the next is the main system - again, mainly on during weekends or when I am alone I crank it up a little. We watch very little if any TV these days so this reduces the airtime on the main speakers too.

- the most often used is actually the kitchen system as we switch it on even before the morning coffee and as soon as we come back from work and switch it off only when we go to sleep or watch a movie. On weekends, it is not unusual to have both the main system and the kitchen system playing in sync for the whole day.

There is another system that consistently gets a lot of airtime - iphone + apple in-ears. as much as the main one, if not more.

I am 100% happy with all of the above systems. I think the only occasional trouble is the less than reliable remote app / library connection.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Um said:
Hi Almaataz,

Couple of questions,

Many Thanks

Um

I find MM1s excellent. they do have boosted bass (possibly DSP-based variable loudness compensation) which I think is great for low level use which I have (bedroom). I am very happy with them.

The Genelecs are excellent, too. As they are white, they fit the decor well, the stands are great for mounting and they sound excellent. Perfect speakers when you need small ones.

As for which ones get most airtime -

- the least time is the mm1s in the bedroom as we only have them on occasionally (slow weekend mornings mainly and sometimes briefly evenings).

- the next is the main system - again, mainly on during weekends or when I am alone I crank it up a little. We watch very little if any TV these days so this reduces the airtime on the main speakers too.

- the most often used is actually the kitchen system as we switch it on even before the morning coffee and as soon as we come back from work and switch it off only when we go to sleep or watch a movie. On weekends, it is not unusual to have both the main system and the kitchen system playing in sync for the whole day.

There is another system that consistently gets a lot of airtime - iphone + apple in-ears. as much as the main one, if not more.

I am 100% happy with all of the above systems. I think the only occasional trouble is the less than reliable remote app / library connection.

Thanks so much for the reply,

I went to listen to the MM1's today and they are very nice. Thing is though I tried the Monitor Audio WS100's whilst I was there and I choose them @ £250 and they are also excellent like the B and W's . I believe they are an active design.?

Um

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
From the specs they do look like proper actives. Also a bit bigger than the MM1s (but I htink the woofer size is the same). So do they have slightly deeper bass?

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
From the specs they do look like proper actives. Also a bit bigger than the MM1s (but I htink the woofer size is the same). So do they have slightly deeper bass?

actually the bass is surprisingly full and deep. And yes bigger than the MM1's. I'm so impressed with the MA's .. Really good speakers

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Evolution of the bedroom system -

From this

4765263958_52bc6f1463_o_d.jpg

to this

6742193051_73c0ee9738_d.jpg

to the current one. Less boxes (Airport is blue-tacked to the back of the chest), great sound and easy control.

9176001294_a82277588e_d.jpg

9173782595_40e85bfeb9_d.jpg

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
I am currently using Benchmark dac1 hdr to ATC actives but I also have a mid range av receiver (Maratz sr5005) which has digital optical and coax inputs. Have not checked but they should be 24/96 capable so should be as good as the Benchmark.

I also have rca to xlr adapters so I am going to try connecting the mac mini to the receiver via optical (and apple tv is already connected via hdmi) and then pre outs to the ATCs and see if I can hear any difference.

As the Benchmark has dual outputs, I am using the rca ones to feed the sub but with the receiver I will have to use the sub out (and will need another set of rca to xlr adapters as the sub is xlr only).

Should be interesting. Any bets?

Finally tried it today. Connected the macmini to the receiver via optical, speakers front pre outs via rca-xlr cables and sub pre out to the sub via rca to rca-xlr adapter.
Run re-calibration. Play.
Sounds good, no issues with sound quality.

I noticed though that I could not achieve loudness levels as high as with the Benchmark. this is probably due to it having higher output levels on its xrl outputs compared to the receiver's rcas.

There were some issues, too:

- on one (classical very high dynamic range) track which plays on high vol setting there was some regular soft cracking kind of noise which is not there when played via Benchmark. I think this is either processing artefacts or just gain mismatch making them more audible

- this I cannot figure out: with bass setting on 'lfe+main' there is no (or nearly no) sound from the sub. With bass setting on 'lfe' the sub plays ok. It is not that it is cancelled out, the driver does not move. What this could be?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I am starting to think over how my system can evolve. Although I do not plan any changes in the near future, in 2 to 4 years I may.

Currently, it is a 5.1 system with an AV receiver fed by a bluray player, combined via HT bypass with a 2.1 system based on a MacMini- DAC/pre - active stereo speakers.

Potential improvment areas:

Box count: So the system is overcomplicated - the same functionality could be achived with less boxes. I have a separate dac/pre becasue it has XLR outs for the speaekers, while the receiver does not and using RCA outputs does not sound right (I think either due to earthing issues or level mismatch or both)..

Speaker: Apart from reducing the box count, I could do with using an active instead of a passive for the centre speaker.

Computer: I may get a desktop mac one day so macmini will no longer be necessary so there is potential here to furhter reduce the box count

Possible upgrades:

If I replace the AV receiver with an AV pre, e.g. Marantz 8801, I gain XLR outs, interated airplay and integrated network switch as well as some other functionlaity. I can tehn get rid of several boxes - DAC/pre, macmini (as a source located onteh rack). The AV pre would also feed the new active center, which would be ATC C3Ca.

Slight issue is if the rears are still passive, I would need to add a steero power amp (or say class D amp packs on the back of the rear speaekrs) or I have to replace the rears with actives, which increases cost.

A projector + roll-out screen (or a larger (4K?) TV) also potentially a future option.

What other improvements can I achieve?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking to simplify things without compromising sound quality you could consider the Oppo 105 blu ray player. Blu ray player doesn't really do this justice, as it is a streamer too, with various inputs, both HDMI and digital audio (co axial, optical, USB) enabling it to act as a digital hub. It also has variable or fixed outputs so you can use it as a pre-amp: if you do, you can connect its 7.1 output to either active speakers or power amps then passives, but you can also feed your front left and right from a balanced XLR output. In other words, you could effectively replace your blu ray player, Benchmark DAC (it has two high quality sabre DACs on board, one dedicated to the stereo outs on XLR) and AV amplifier with one box, though you would need power amplification for your centre and rears. You could also connect a NAS directly rather than use the Mac Mini (if so, the Oppo will stream video as well as music). The video processing on board I suspect would also make the most of any future projector purchase.

Worth checking out anyway. I see Wish Tree's recent 'your system' entry combines an Oppo 105 with some very nice B & O actives - worth asking him about his experiences.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
James7 said:
If you are looking to simplify things without compromising sound quality you could consider the Oppo 105 blu ray player. Blu ray player doesn't really do this justice, as it is a streamer too, with various inputs, both HDMI and digital audio (co axial, optical, USB) enabling it to act as a digital hub. It also has variable or fixed outputs so you can use it as a pre-amp: if you do, you can connect its 7.1 output to either active speakers or power amps then passives, but you can also feed your front left and right from a balanced XLR output. In other words, you could effectively replace your blu ray player, Benchmark DAC (it has two high quality sabre DACs on board, one dedicated to the stereo outs on XLR) and AV amplifier with one box, though you would need power amplification for your centre and rears. You could also connect a NAS directly rather than use the Mac Mini (if so, the Oppo will stream video as well as music). The video processing on board I suspect would also make the most of any future projector purchase.

Worth checking out anyway. I see Wish Tree's recent 'your system' entry combines an Oppo 105 with some very nice B & O actives - worth asking him about his experiences.

Yes, Oppo is very interesting and as I think about it it grows on me! So, the xlr will output multichannel for L and R at the same time as the rca for the rest of the channels? Can it do auto calibration for speakers? Do they publish full discrete remote codes?

need to check the oppo manual.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes to the first, I am pretty sure anyway - balanced output for front left and right while other channels are fed unbalanced signals. Cannot answer your other queries I am afraid. As I say, worth checking out. It might not suit but it occurred to me looking at your system that it might fit nicely.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
James7 said:
Yes to the first, I am pretty sure anyway - balanced output for front left and right while other channels are fed unbalanced signals. Cannot answer your other queries I am afraid. As I say, worth checking out. It might not suit but it occurred to me looking at your system that it might fit nicely.

thanks! I checked the manuals and some av forums. While it should definately work and should perform well there are some limitations to functionality. I need to study it further.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have decided - I think I have :)

First I will upgrade the multi-channel speakers to actives (currently only the front L and R are actives). I will look at simplifying the pre/pro/dac arrangement later (I am happy with how it works at the moment).

The rears will probably be the first - as I seem to know what I want here. I may also add (if I like how it sounds) passive surround L and R back pair, using existing tiny Elac speakers.

I will then look into the centre channel. Sure, it is better to start with it, but I do not see a viable option in terms of specific products at the moment. An obvious candidate is ATC C3Ca, but, even though it is the smalles ATC active centre, it is is very big, extremely heavy (near 40kg!) and very expensive.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
A bit of change of plans -

I am going to stay with passives for the rears and the front for a while now - I will look at 'all-active surround' a bit later.

Instead, I have decided to get a pair of old ATC SCM 7s (if I can find one) for the rears and, out of nowhere, try a new Marantz AV receiver, the SR7008. This one has the more advanced version of Audyssey, the XT32, and is more powerful, which should help a bit with the ATC passives.

So, my SR5005 and the old floorstanders are hitting ebay and I am expecting some deliveries...

I will keep thinking through the 'all-active surround', especially the centre channel. Not many options for the centre at the moment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ATC C1C centre speaker would be the obvious one. I mean, you've saved a ruddy packet buying the SR7008.

Ok you'd prefer it to be active.

Can AVI sell you one DM5? (Does that work regarding connectivity from the Marantz?)

I am a bit clueless with AV stuff.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
ATC C1C centre speaker would be the obvious one. I mean, you've saved a ruddy packet buying the SR7008.

Ok you'd prefer it to be active.

Can AVI sell you one DM5? (Does that work regarding connectivity from the Marantz?)

I am a bit clueless with AV stuff.

I am already using the C1C, and it is very good. I am considering going all-active, for which I ideally want an ATC centre but for rears matching the make is less important for me. So a single DM5 for centre is not my preferred route, but they would work for the rears. I am not so confident with AV either!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The main remote needed updating for the new system configuration of cause, as well as for the new functions - which I still have to work out fully, as well as the multitude of Audyssey DSP settings, figuring out which ones I need and how I wll use them.

13820738544_b0ddd8b686_z_d.jpg
13820430193_ef554f6b13_z_d.jpg

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Quite a major system update this week with the arrival of a new receiver - Marantz SR7008 - and a set of new surround speakers, arriving later this week.

The packaging and the content is the same as with SR5005, except the new one does nto have a printed manual (only CD-ROM):

13766673814_0a6f065df5_d.jpg

These stickers for labelling the speaker cables are really handy, especially if wiring for 11 channels (I am only using 5.1 or maybe 7.1).

13766331843_15ae79fb50_d.jpg

The remote is relatively simple.

13766341393_2e8a31fdb7_d.jpg

13766347043_7b254109a9_d.jpg

Audyssey calibration mic:

13766712754_e90411de9f_d.jpg

Box flip

13766348045_e64ab7d47f_d.jpg

The 7008 is slightly larger (taller) than the SR5005 it is replacing, but it did (just) fit on the same shelf.

13766722784_c153e7fd2b_d.jpg

Next is connecting it all up and checking the sound - both for stereo and AV surround.

I hope to simplify the system by getting rid of HT bypass (which means my Benchmark HDR may become redundant!). I also gain new functionality like built-in airplay, various network/internet functions, app control etc. Will have to explore these.

The SR5005 is hittng ebay soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts