My Demo of AVI ADM 9s and 40s

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
WishTree said:
I heard the ADM9Ts in the past at a dealer and was not impressed with them AT ALL.

When I first got my ADM9Ts (ordered blind), I was a bit underwhelmed at first. They were a bit dull sounding in comparison to my rather "lively" Focals ( I think the liveliness of the Focals may have been a bit of crossover distortion which I'd grown accustomed to).

However, I soon got over that (a day or two) and I certainly wouldn't call them dull now!

Don't get me wrong, it was obvious the ADMs were very good, it was just the initial change from what I was used to.

It's something to bear in mind when auditioning speakers (which all vary massively) that it takes time to get used to something different.
I soon got over that (a day or two) and I certainly wouldn't call them dull now!

Messiah

How many more people have to comment on how good the ADMs are for all the haters to stop?

I don't really get it. If someone told me there was a set of speakers on the market that sounded better than most kit costing many times the price then I would want to hear them. Instead people seem to dismiss the many claims without having listened to them. (I appreciate there are a couple of you that have heard them and don't like them and fair enough).

Whatever claims are made by the manufacturer surely the testimonies of the many people that have heard them carry some weight? Certainly from once very respected members such as Iggle?

Why does every AVI thread have to descend into a battle between those that have heard them and praise them and those that have not heard them and feel the need to dismiss the 'wild claims'.

Those that have heard them feel strongly about them for a very good reason. Those that have not heard them should perhaps arrange a demo and see what all the fuss is about of refrain from these threads.

Messiah

Your probably right and I may have been a little hasty but lets wait and see...
smiley-laughing.gif

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Nicely put Messiah.

Mind you, due to this thread I am trying to arrange a demo of some ADM9T's but unfortunately struggling to find anyone with a pair near Plymouth / Exeter who would be kind enough to let me listen to them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Messiah said:
smiley-laughing.gif

You've probably speeded up the process if anything.

From what I can work out it's not the speakers that anyone has an issue with but the somewhat "robust" attitude of the manufacturer. I'd be interested but I don't see how I could integrate them into a HC line-up without a matching centre and I don't buy the idea that one wouldn't be needed either.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Messiah said:
smiley-laughing.gif

You've probably speeded up the process if anything.

From what I can work out it's not the speakers that anyone has an issue with but the somewhat "robust" attitude of the manufacturer. I'd be interested but I don't see how I could integrate them into a HC line-up without a matching centre and I don't buy the idea that one wouldn't be needed either.

I agree.

Peoples' attitudes, POV and beliefs are often strongly held, and so are not easy to change. This means that getting across a different perspective takes logic, respect and patience.

If the Active argument is receiving a cold response, it is unlikely to be the fault of the product, but the construct and tone of the debate.

daveh75

The_Lhc said:
I'd be interested but I don't see how I could integrate them into a HC line-up without a matching centre and I don't buy the idea that one wouldn't be needed either.

That's one of the reasons i went for Mackies, and ADMs weren't even a consideration for me...

About time they either developed a matched centre or made 'slaves' available singley, because you do need a centre...

Building an A/V set-up around them would of meant buying 3 pairs, and paying for DAC/Pre-amp functionality i didn't want/need/require

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Messiah said:
How many more people have to comment on how good the ADMs are for all the haters to stop?

I don't really get it.

I don't get it either.

The OP has a new system, he's very happy, recommends anyone interested check it out!

Absolutely no-one has a problem with that at all.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I'm very happy but would never want to be guilty of forcing it down anyones throat. I'm very lucky that I have the rooms for separate HC and hifi. I'm delighted with my current 5.1, and I'm quite confident it's as good as I could hope for at the money I spent. Tbh. I couldn't care less if it's active, passive or powered by rocket fuel. I'm lucky as I only live 1/2 hour from the factory. I agree £3k without a demo would be a massive leap of faith, and one I probably wouldn't have made if I couldn't demo. Like most I'm a believe when I see (hear) it type. I have and I do. It was my review not an advert. Saying that if you can get to listen to either of the models I'd do it. If only to dismiss it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I'd be interested but I don't see how I could integrate them into a HC line-up without a matching centre and I don't buy the idea that one wouldn't be needed either.

I'm surprised that AVI don't offer a 5.1 ADM package for home cinema use. They could use the 10" sub together with five 'slave' ADM's (without a DAC or preamp included) which would be perfect for connecting to a receiver that has analogue pre-outs.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'm surprised that AVI don't offer a 5.1 ADM package for home cinema use. They could use the 10" sub together with five 'slave' ADM's (without a DAC or preamp included) which would be perfect for connecting to a receiver that has analogue pre-outs.

That would be 5 mains leads for the ADMs and another for the sub and another for a receiver.

With a TV and a Blu-ray player that's 9 mains leads and 9 mains sockets.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Ah but think how much better it'll be...

...but it would lose one of the big selling points of the ADMs, their minimalism, and lack of clutter.

In it's usual stereo application, the ADM9 system is all contained in two speaker cabinets requiring only something like an ATV or Squeezebox as a source.

An ADM 5.1 system would actually involve more 'clutter' than a passive equivalent due to the 5 extra mains leads/sockets required. There is no saving on box count either. (A receiver or 5.1 processor/pre-amp is still required).

I thought the Neutron 5 2.1 system was meant to be AVI's alternative answer to such AV speaker/amp systems. (Requiring only one set of speaker cables and one mains lead and an optical digital cable from the TV or Blu-ray player).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
steve_1979 said:

That would be 5 mains leads for the ADMs and another for the sub and another for a receiver.

With a TV and a Blu-ray player that's 9 mains leads and 9 mains sockets.

Good point. A 5.1 ADM setup would be a bit, erm, wirey. Bet it'd sound awesome though.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Well, I've just taken the leap of faith on the promise of all the ADMs have to offer, and on the strength of the reviews that various people have posted. I live too far from the factory for an audition to be a practical reality, and IMO auditioning a pair of speakers anywhere other than your own listening room is a bit pointless anyway.

No doubt it's a gamble, but I'm reassured by the fact that they are getting a lot of interest, so in the unlikely event that I don't like them, I should be able to sell them as a mint 'barely used' pair for not much less than their new price (hopefully :shifty: ).

The_Lhc said:

If practically possible it's worth trying your stereo amplification/speakers in place of L, C & R via your AV amp/speaker package if a) all the people who watch your HC system would sit between the front L&R speakers and b) you currently have small satellite speakers on your HC system but full size speakers on your hifi system. All things being equal, then no doubt having a centre speaker is better, but the point of trying it this way is if things would not be equal, i.e. the power amplification and full size speakers that you'd be sending the front L&R (with centre mixed in) through would be far better than that built in to your AV amp and satellite speakers. I tried this, swapping the power amplification in my Sony STRDA3300ES and 3 * MA Radius 180s, for my SuperNait in AV bypass mode and my Neat speakers. It was simply a vast improvement. Obviously anyone sitting too far off the centre point between the front speakers will notice the dialogue being skewed to one side (not an issue in my case), and it may be a complete coincidence whether the tonal character of your stereo amp/speakers matches with the other channels, but my point is - in my experience it's well worth a try.

I'm going to try it with the ADM 40s when they arrive, but my intention is actually to do away with all the surround sound malarky and go back to stereo for AV - quality over quantity until we move house and I can put a serious full-size-speakers-all-round AV system together.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Messiah said:
I don't really get it. If someone told me there was a set of speakers on the market that sounded better than most kit costing many times the price then I would want to hear them. Instead people seem to dismiss the many claims without having listened to them. (I appreciate there are a couple of you that have heard them and don't like them and fair enough).

Heard the ADM 9Ts and did not like them at all. IMO, ADM sound from 9Ts is more clinical and no emotion being conveyed (Definetly NO foot tapping happening)

I am quite keen on ADM40 as the concept is amazing! Two speakers and if the sound is also great then it is one stop solution.

Sadly, not so atleast with ADM9Ts and I will find out about ADM 40s in my next trip to UK.

However there are people who love the ADM sound as people love the Arcam sound or some other brand / combination sound.

I can understand people being vocal about what they like but somehow with ADM community it feels that (Yes, it is only those people who are too vocal about what they like and not wanting to accept that there are other choices as well as other likings that people have), it is all a cult and not a hobby any more.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
No doubt it's a gamble

It certainly is nerve racking buying speakers without auditioning them. I almost didn't buy my N5's because I couldn't hear them first but I'm so glad that I took a gamble because the AVI sound is great (if you like natural sounding clarity and detail) and I'm yet to hear another system that offers anywhere near the value for money that AVI does.

TRENDING THREADS