My daughter came in from school... (lighthearted thread)

... yesterday. She said "do you want to hear a hi-fi-related joke, dad?" I replied: "Yeah. Okay".

"Two aerials get married. The reception was terrible".

The point of this thread is the impact our hobby/interest has on other family members. Over recent months she's become more inquisitive about how hi-fi works. Have/has your family members taken an interest in the 'whys' and 'wherefores' as a consequence of us spending copious amounts of money over the years?

insider9

Lucky you! My 16 year old son has no interest whatsover. Funny thing is he does listen to music via headphones. Streams Spotify and YouTube but go no interest at all in hi-fi. I've got enough gear to make him a decent setup of his own but he doesn't care. At least we both share enthusiasm for computers.

My wife usually comes to me for tips on music. She predominantly listens at the gym and it's all playlists based (which I don't do). Again a headphone occasional listener with no interest in hi-fi. She does get fed up quite often if I talk too much about the hobby.

@insider9

She's always been intrigued by electrical/mechanical stuff. She would rather build a Airfix model of a vintage car or aircraft than play with the usual girlie things.

When she was 8 or 9, now 14, she asked me how a combustion engine worked.

About 3 years ago she asked whether she could have her own hi-fi for the bedroom. Because we live in a bungalow it isn't practical, due to the noise.

insider9

plastic penguin said:
@insider9

She's always been intrigued by electrical/mechanical stuff. She would rather build a Airfix model of a vintage car or aircraft than play with the usual girlie things.

When she was 8 or 9, now 14, she asked me how a combustion engine worked.

About 3 years ago she asked whether she could have her own hi-fi for the bedroom. Because we live in a bungalow it isn't practical, due to the noise.

That's really impressive.

My 16 year old wants to be a chemical engineer but at the same time doesn't share my enthusiasm for equipment. He was only vaguely interested when we were building his PC. For him is the application that matters. Happy with computers but not really bothered about how. It's not that he doesn't know it, it's just doesn't fascinate him. It's what he can do with it that matters to him. You'd think these things are inclusive but apparently not.

I like the how and why as much as the end product.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CFo4WEjXIAAQqnE.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
IIRC you said you worked, as a teen, in a hi-fi shop. You've also had hi-fis for most of your adult life, has any of that enthusiasm rubbed off on your daughters, regardless of format?

No, thank goodness. They are, mercifully, free of this blight!

They both, however, caught the photography 'bug' which is far healthier (especially as it is results rather than gear driven in their case) and more creative.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
my nearly 20 yr old son is a gamer and listens to everything including music through headphones. On the other hand my nearly 17 yr old son has an old technics tt, pioneer a400, kef q100's and chrome cast. He also goes through my cds and accuses me of listening to his music*biggrin*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Here's a good one. I replaced all my mains cables and added a power condititioner and it affected the sound!

Good one
My son humours me when i talk about speakers etc but deep down hes not worried but he loves music and does appreciate sq

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
One summer holiday when student daughter was at home I let her use an elderly marantz cd player, mission cyrus 2 amp and tannoy M20 speakers in her bedroom

. I said to be careful as some of the speaker insulation cable was missing at the end . One day it stopped working as it had shorted and blew the output transistors (i think)

Lesson learnt by me for sure - I blame myself tbh. I was never a huge fan of the Cyrus 2. - She then went on to use my ancient A and R A60 amp instead.

regards tonky

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
My Partner came up with a slogan for a TShirt I am going to have made up - if someone steals this your in trouble - it goes

Dont hate me because I am an Audiophile

Hate me because I am a !#&!

Shows what she thinks about me and it all

insider9

ellisdj said:
My Partner came up with a slogan for a TShirt I am going to have made up - if someone steals this your in trouble - it goes

Dont hate me because I am an Audiophile

Hate me because I am a !#&!

Shows what she thinks about me and it all 
Are you sure that was your wife? Sounds like something mother-in-law would say ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts