My Condo Home Theatre

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’ve got my home theatre set up just the way I like it…

It consists of the following:

o the heart is the Nakamichi AV-10 receiver
o the surround sound speakers are KEF KHT3005SE with KUBE-2 subwoofer
o the display is the Samsung PN51D6900 plasma
o I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box PVR (Rogers cable service)
o Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray player
o Nakamichi MB-10 5-disc CD player
o Hauppauge HD PVR 1212
o Apple Mac mini (2011 Sandy Bridge)

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_1496.JPG

The AV-10 is an old AV receiver from 1999. Since it only supports composite and S-Video, it is not suitable for video-switching. But it is a fantastic 5.1 audio receiver and that’s why I kept it.

The KUBE-2 is a great subwoofer for movies, but it is less adept at music. However, for the money the speaker package is the bargain of the century (I paid C$899). These are wonderful speakers!

The KEF speakers are shelf-mounted at the front (left, right, centre) and stand-mounted at the rear (left, right). These egg-shaped beauties fit in perfectly with my interior design.

The Sammy plasma is sexy thin. Its 51-inch screen looks fabulous, especially after calibration!

All video sources are connected to the plasma via HDMI. In the AV-10, two coaxial inputs come from the cable box and Blu-ray player, and two optical inputs come from the plasma and Mac mini. The CD player connects to the AV-10′s stereo inputs.

The cable box connects to the Hauppauge PVR via component video and optical input. This is for archiving HD programs (using my Dell Dimension 9200 PC).

The Mac mini is for sharing music and videos from the Dell PC and for surfing the web through the plasma television. Although the Sammy plasma has Smart TV, it is limited in a number of ways:

1) for some inexplicable reason, Samsung have chosen not to include a web browser for this particular model
2) playback controls are severely restricted for shared content
3) it doesn’t support the full gamut of video formats
4) the UI is awkward and annoying to use

The Mac mini is also useful for iOS development (which I do from the Dell PC using TeamViewer).

A

Anonymous

The first photo was taken *before* I purchased the Mac mini, which now resides on top of the TV stand, near the right KEF speaker.

A

Anonymous

I forgot to mention...

The Mac mini is controlled by the VisionTek CandyBoard Bluetooth wireless keyboard. And the entire home theatre is tied together with the Harmony 700 universal remote.

A

Anonymous

BTW, the home theatre is in a brand new condo (22nd floor). The living room is basically 11' x 11', so I was under severe space constraint when designing the theatre. Thus, the placement of the rear speakers and subwoofer is not necessarily ideal. Nevertheless, the system sounds great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts