My 1 month journey back into Hi-Fi so far.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I can't be of any help with the Tannoy speakers (though I'm sure there are plenty of people who can help there).

In the "KEF Museum" section of the KEF website (isn't that a kind term for them to use!) at the bottom of the C10-C80 section is the brochure for this speaker range (below).

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/80s/C10_C20_C30_C40_C60_C80_r.pdf

The C40 is described as being "particularly appealing to the cost-concious rock listener." Nice...!

If you scroll to the last page of the brochure there is a table and under the C40 column it states:

"Free standing on stand 13-25cm high" and "Matching KEF stands are available".

Perhaps you could try e-mailing them to see if they have a pair of the correct stands kicking about (doubtful!) or if they have any suggestions for what else you cold use?

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Good luck getting your CD63 to work. Mine's been in its box for a year and now won't read discs. Bas***d :rofl:

A

Anonymous

Timbot, that description/admission by KEF themselves has sealed the fate of my speakers and my credit card - even in those days I wasn't a "cost-conscious rocker" and I sure as hell am not now. Still, bit curious to have a listen until decide to replace and will have to get my hands on some rock to see what they mean.

Gibs, absolutely gutted for you, I know you still rate that CD player - mine's been packaged away for years and years so not holding out much hope for a successful plug-in at the weekend.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
About an hour in a warm room with the cd tray open and she breathes again! It must have just been condensation on the laser. Phew

....and having been on for a further hour or so the sound is markedly improved, so perhaps leave yours on for a couple of hours before testing her again

A

Anonymous

Cheers Gibs, good advice, will do.

I saw your comment on the rs' Onkyo thread that you have had to discount rear venting floorstanders like the Tannoy Revolution DC4s. What kind of space is required behind them then? I was thinking of buying some DC6Ts.

Currently my thinking is:

Option 1 - keep my current amp and speakers (subject to trying to breathe life back into them again after storage and obviously how they sound) and add a DAC to rescue my music from my laptop.

Marantz CD63

Marantz PM44SE

CA DACMagic Plus or poss Arcam rDAC

Need to check how these DACs would sound with that amp.

Option 2 - keep the CDP and replace rest with my (subject to testing them) ideal research option of Regas - expensive by my standards but should be good quality if paired with the right speakers:

Marantz CD63

Rega Brio-R

Rega DAC

Assuming Rega DAC and amp would sound good together

Option 3 - Keep CDP and (subject to sound test of course) go for the all singing all dancing option of the Onkyo (per my initial post). :cheer: About £700 cheaper than the Rega option so would need to be a SIGNIFICANT sound difference

Marantz CD63

Onkyo TX-8050

Try above combinations with Tannoy Revolution DC6Ts and some others depending on space requirement needed behind them (10 to 15cm max space from wall is most realistically that I could accommodate). May have to rethink this research option

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I was actually contemplating the Tannoy Mercury V4's, not the DC4's (http://www.whathifi.com/review/mercury-v4)

I've read varying reviews suggesting 14-60cm from the rear walls, which I can't do at the minute. I assume filling the rear firing ports with foam bungs would ruin the makeup of them though. If memory serves either MP or TRS had a similar amp to yours and noted it sounded a little flat, so perhaps a change is in order there. I'll search that 8050 thread

A

Anonymous

Yep, getting confused with the rs' speakers there, I'm pretty sure he's got Tannoy Revolution DC4s. His and mp's Quad11l's do make me think I might just be on the wrong track with floorstanders, especially if I go down the Onkyo route based on how happy they are with their combinations (my room is 14' wide by 23' long and they will be facing out widthways).

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I still favour the room filling sound of floorstanders, even at low volumes. I listened to some Monitor Audio BX2's the other day and considering they're the WHF award winners, I found them a bit flat and shrill. Not what I was expecting at all. Perhaps they were just badly set up, but I was surprised

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
About 2 weeks ago I had a pair of DC6T's for the weekend at home to demo. My room is 4m wide by 5m long with the speakers in front of the 4m wall. They boomed at first, until they were at least 50cm from the back wall and approx 70cm in from the side walls. Great speakers but I preferred the Rega RS3's which I had home the previous weekend. Still haven't finally made up my mind though - at £599 from 7oaks, they are very tempting (DC6T's).
smile.png

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that post JonathanRebecca, hearing what you said and doing some research into other forums on the RS3s (thanks to Chebby for detailed review) these are now firmly on my listening/purchasing list.

Would be very interested to hear what you decide to go with in the end and how you get on with them.

A

Anonymous

So, auditioning session set up for tomorrow, current thinking which I would welcome views on please:

OPTION 1
Rega Brio-R
Rega DAC
(possibly Rega Apollo-R CDP but most music on laptop so DAC most important)
Rega RS3

OPTION 2
Audiolab 8200CD
Audiolab 8200A
Rega RS3

Have heard Audiolab amp is a little too analytical and lacking natural warmth - is this your experience too?

Should I consider Naim Nait5i Amp with 8200CD?

Rega Brio-R amp with 8200CD?

OPTION 3
Naim Nait5i amp
Naim CD5i cdp
Rega RS3
Not sure what DAC would work with this??

Also for me this is a pushing the budget out expensive option and not sure the sound will be worth the extra cost.

Would also be particulary grateful for views on speakers for these options, based on research and comments am thinking RS3s as had floorstanders before (old ones!) and the RS3s can be situated close to a wall with great reviews.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

UPDATE

My 1 month journey back into Hi-Fi so far:

mark.png
I need to get a much better quality sound than this from my laptop!

type.gif
Research online ...

smile.png
This is easy, can afford something, bring on the music, job done.

cheers.gif
I'll have a pint to celebrate what I'm going to buy tomorrow.

read.gif
Hang on, what did he say?!

type.gif
What did she say?!!

type.gif
Better check this out................

read.gif
Hmmm, there's a fair bit of choice.

rant.gif
Quite a lot of opinion too.

horseshit.gif
A lot of helpful people on these forums.

help.gif
Hmm, there's a fair bit of choice!!!!

wall.gif
Can't there be a Hi-Fi store which has stock of SOMETHING I want to audition somewhere near here!

type.gif
Stuff this, I'll buy it online, can't be bothered to wait for them to get stock.

quest.png
Where's my order?

angry.png
3 bluudy weeks and still not here, why aren't they responding to my emails or picking up the phone?

mail.png
Got a feeling I know what's in that envelope from that solicitor sounding firm....

doh.gif
Thought that online price was a bit too good to be true.

naughty.gif
Should have been patient.

wave.gif
Well, I can pretty much kiss goodbye to that money then.

pray.gif
Visa payment protection? C'mon Visa you can do it! You'll look out for me.

beer.png
Short
beer.png
Short
beer.png
sad.png
sick.png
beer.png
Wine ....well, there's more to life than money, forget about it. Hic. Ouch.

type.gif
Research online...................................................................

quest.png
What the hell is an Onkyo TX-8050???

boohoo.gif
apparently it's fine for instrumental.

cheer.gif
The Record Spot and matthewpiano seem to think it's not too bad.

poke.gif
It can't be 4am can it?!

quest.png
How long's this Onkyo thread?!?

argh.gif
What the hell ISN'T the Onkyo TX-8050???????????

:type: Research............

:type: Reseach ........................

:type: Forums.....................................

:rofl: Not sure if this is pleasure or some kind of previously unheard of audio illness I'm experiencing!

:read: Work's in danger of suffering.

:poke: Relationship's in danger of suffering.

:clap: Credit card's in danger of suffering.

:eek: Rega, Audiolab, Cyrus, Marantz, AVI, Onkyo (careful the RS!), Naim, separates, style systems, floorstanding, stand-mounted, networked, streaming, digital or not digital, wired, wireless.................vinyl !?! :hand:

:boohoo: When I've decided which way to go I will set it all up, relax and enjoy

:dance: :cheers: And then I'll celebrate with music I actually like ..........

:wall: And my semi-detached neighbour will like it too, I'm sure...

T

the record spot

SteveD said:
Yep, getting confused with the rs' speakers there, I'm pretty sure he's got Tannoy Revolution DC4s. His and mp's Quad11l's do make me think I might just be on the wrong track with floorstanders, especially if I go down the Onkyo route based on how happy they are with their combinations (my room is 14' wide by 23' long and they will be facing out widthways).

The Onkyo is 100wpc so it wouldn't have much trouble driving most speakers, floorstanders or otherwise.

EDIT: And it's fine with more than just instrumental... ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks RS, and it doesn't surprise me that you said that :grin:

Patience is not a virtue of mine it seems when it comes to getting a system back up and running but I really ought to try out the Onkyo, probably with the 6004 as Mr Piano suggested.

T

the record spot

And if you fancied spending more of your wad, with a little style, then I'd be looking at the Aura Note. Around £1500.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Running the Audiolab 8000S with my CD63 KI and Mission 752's I found the sound a little too analytical and thin. The Audiolab is a great amp, but personally I'd match it with a warmer source, or slightly bass heavier speakers than the 752's

......oh, and I'm now the owner of the last Onkyo 8050 in Oxford >)

Watch this space

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi SteveD, I dont envy you having to start from scratch with all those choices. For many years my hobbies were mountain biking, running & 'the kids', but I also slowly replaced my 80's Technics & Wharfdale system with a Rega Brio 2000 amp & Apollo CD player, and Mission 780 speakers on Atacama stands. This system was perfect for my dining room and my 'semi-detached neighbour'.

Having built an extension, the 'music room' is away from the neighbour, and a much bigger room, hence my interest in floorstanders. MA RX6's, DC6T's, KEF Q500's and the RS3's were all up for consideration. The RS3's were an obvious option with my Rega kit and next year I'd like hopefully to get the new Brio-R amp. My local dealer steered me away from the MA RX6's saying they would not suit my kit or taste in music. So I demo'd at the shop the other 3. There was a clear difference between the DC6T's and the RS3's, with the Kef's more similar to the DC6T's. I found it really hard to make up my mind, so I arranged to collect the RS3's the following saturday evening (as the shop closed) and take them home to listen to over the weekend. The following weekend I did the same with the DC6T's.

The DC6T's are much bigger speakers than the RS3's, and needed the open space to shine. The RS3's worked best for me with the base facing outwards, 35cm from both the back and side walls (3m apart).

My 17yr old son summed up the difference perfectly, the DC6T's made him want to dance and have a party, but the RS3's make you want to listen to music.

For me, the home demo was essential, so if you can - get your main contenders home.

Finally, my decision is clouded by also looking to put together a home cinema system to go with my wall mounted Pana 50in tv. I either keep the 2 systems separate, maybe the MA Bronze 5.1 system, or I match the centre speaker with the floorstanders, but would need a receiver with pre-outs, so that I can play music through the Rega amp. I change my mind everyday!

Oh, also I can't afford to do it all in one go, so purchasing the floorstanders maybe some time off yet.

Your initial post certainly struck a chord with me - brilliant!

Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that the RS, that had not yet been on the radar so looking into it.

Gibs, great news about the Onkyo, be interested to see if it makes you happier with the sound from your Ruarks, hope everthing works out for you.

Jonathanrebecca, appreciate that, listened today to Rega DAC, Rega Brio-R and the RS3s - big smile........... Not to put another spanner into the complicated matrix of decisions you've already got going on but the dealer I saw today suggested I might want to run my Sky HD, blu-ray and Panasonic TV set up through the Rega DAC if I go for it (obviously not possible to get surround but he thinks would be a much better sound quality than most surround amps, albeit through only the two speakers). If I get the Rega DAC I'll try that vs my ageing surround system.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Did you manage to get your bits set up for the re-listen?

I really like the Onkyo. It's fantastically detailed and transparent, which makes it a good partner for many setups. The only issue I've got now is it's highlighting the slightly thin and bright nature of my CD63 KI. Instead of enjoying the music right now I'm thinking it sounds a bit sharp (something my KI leaned towards anyway). Perhaps I need a CD6004 to smooth things out but retain the detail. I'm still working on the Ruarks, so I'll keep you posted when I've had a play. The weekend was just far too busy to get to it

A

Anonymous

Apologies for the very late reply Gibs, after a hint from my good lady :poke: I've been easing off the forums focus :eek: for a bit to make sure my relationship stays :cheer:

All in moderation eh"!

UPDATE

My 1 month journey back into Hi-Fi so far:

mark.png
I need to get a much better quality sound than this from my laptop!

type.gif
Research online ...

smile.png
This is easy, can afford something, bring on the music, job done.

cheers.gif
I'll have a pint to celebrate what I'm going to buy tomorrow.

read.gif
Hang on, what did he say?!

type.gif
What did she say?!!

type.gif
Better check this out................

read.gif
Hmmm, there's a fair bit of choice.

rant.gif
Quite a lot of opinion too.

horseshit.gif
A lot of helpful people on these forums.

help.gif
Hmm, there's a fair bit of choice!!!!

wall.gif
Can't there be a Hi-Fi store which has stock of SOMETHING I want to audition somewhere near here!

type.gif
Stuff this, I'll buy it online, can't be bothered to wait for them to get stock.

quest.png
Where's my order?

angry.png
3 bluudy weeks and still not here, why aren't they responding to my emails or picking up the phone?

mail.png
Got a feeling I know what's in that envelope from that solicitor sounding firm....

doh.gif
Thought that online price was a bit too good to be true.

naughty.gif
Should have been patient.

wave.gif
Well, I can pretty much kiss goodbye to that money then.

pray.gif
Visa payment protection? C'mon Visa you can do it! You'll look out for me.

beer.png
Short
beer.png
Short
beer.png
sad.png
sick.png
beer.png
Wine ....well, there's more to life than money, forget about it. Hic. Ouch.

type.gif
Research online...................................................................

quest.png
What the hell is an Onkyo TX-8050???

boohoo.gif
apparently it's fine for instrumental.

cheer.gif
The Record Spot and matthewpiano seem to think it's not too bad.

poke.gif
It can't be 4am can it?!

quest.png
How long's this Onkyo thread?!?

argh.gif
What the hell ISN'T the Onkyo TX-8050???????????

type.gif
Research............

type.gif
Reseach ........................

type.gif
Forums.....................................

rofl.gif
Not sure if this is pleasure or some kind of previously unheard of audio illness I'm experiencing!

read.gif
Work's in danger of suffering.

poke.gif
Relationship's in danger of suffering.

clap.gif
Credit card's in danger of suffering.

eek.gif
Rega, Audiolab, Cyrus, Marantz, AVI, Onkyo (careful the RS!), Naim, separates, style systems, floorstanding, stand-mounted, networked, streaming, digital or not digital, wired, wireless.................vinyl !?!
hand.gif

boohoo.gif
When I've decided which way to go I will set it all up, relax and enjoy

dance.gif
cheers.gif
And then I'll celebrate with music I actually like ..........

wall.gif
And my semi-detached neighbour will like it too, I'm sure...

:smile: HOW LOOOOOOOOOOOONG'S THIS ONKYO THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the Onkyo thread has been/is being a very interesting thread.

I've thrown in my lot with Rega in the end though (Rega DAC, Rega Brio-R and Rega RS3s and V-Link II) as I absolutely loved the hour or so I spent trying it out. I know there were a huge amount of (maybe even better) options for this kind of money and I can't thank all of you who took the time to give me advice enough, but I'm absolutely confident this will keep me smiling for the foreseeable............the £200 off RRP helped a bit as well.

Now I wait.............................................

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
No worries. If I totted up the time I'd spent reading, researching, starting again etc over the last few weeks I think I'd cry. Good job I only see the other half at the weekends :rofl:

I'm still not quite there yet on the speaker front though, so yet more time to donate to the battle

TRENDING THREADS