Muso and Alto speakers

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Having auditioned an ARCAM solo mini for use in my study I have been very impressed. It's the perfect solution to provide the sound for my little sanctuary at home while the wife is in the living room playing her Ne-Yo cd's on my main system.

While I am sold on the solo mini, I am yet to decide over the speakers to pair with the system. I understand that the ARCAM Alto speakers are being discontinued, and I have seen them available for half price online (£200 as opposed to £400). I have also seen that ARCAM are replacing these speakers with a new range called Muso (for a much reduced cost compared to the Alto). Can anyone tell me about who manufacturers these speakers for ARCAM and if anyone has auditioned either I would be very interested in hearing thoughts / reviews of the 2.

Additionally, if anyone has any ideas for smallish stand-mounters that would pair well with the solo mini I would be delighted to consider alternatives!

A

Anonymous

I know for sure that Muso speakers are actually manufactured by KEF.

I've listened to a Muso / Logo 5.1 setup, with Arcam's Solo Movie 5.1. It was pretty impressive on movies, with good dynamics and a huge soundstage. I don't know how such small speakers can create that huge sound. Obviously, at very high volumes they became a little aggressive (dynamic compression).

Having said that, for a stereo system, for music, I think you can have better sound with traditional speakers. The Muso's enclusure is made of Aluminium
emotion-42.gif
(or something similar...not MDF anyway).

I think one of the best small mini-monitors is the Epos ELS3. It doesn't have low bass, but it times like a metronome, and mid-range transparency is absolutely astonishing for the price. I even like it better than the M5 and M12.2. These may be more refined, but the ELS3 is more entertaining, IMO.

Regards,

Rodrigo

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Epos speakers, and as I've mentioned in another post picked up a pair of M16s for my living room that my wife now regularly abuses with her R&B without letting me get a look-in! I have auditioned the Alto speakers, and I really really like them. They just sound right to my ears, but I've struggled to find any independent reviews of these speakers. I think mostly as they were marketed as an accompaniment to the solo / solo mini rather than as a standalone product. I'm thinking of just trusting my own judgement without reference to 'expert' reviews and plumping for the Alto speakers.

Are there any other Alto owners that use this forum?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts