Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD player and ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi There, this is my first post here, but I have been an avid reader of what Hi-Fi for many years.

I have come into the possession of a musical fidelity X-Ray CD player from 1998 and would like to build a system around it. I have about £500 to spend on a pair of speakers and an amplifier (although I would be happy to spend less). The speakers will be wall mounted up near the ceiling. The set up is for the kitchen, and the room is about 6.5m by 3.2m, with the speakers going on the narrow wall and pointing down the room. I would love some advice as to what kit would partner well with the cd player including what would be good to mount the speakers. Eventually when funds allow I would like to add a Sonos player to the set up.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

A

Anonymous

A used pair of AVI Neutrons and an Arcam Alpha amp. If you can stretch it, see if there's an Alpha 9 integrated that fits the budget with these speakers. Also consider the Rotel RA01, RA02 & RA03. If you're really really lucky, you'll find some AVI Neutrons with amp packs for your budget.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Igglebert, I just picked up an Arcam alpha 9 on ebay for £170 hope that's a good price. I can't find the speakers anywhere though. What other speakers would work well in this set up, they don't have to be second hand, but happy for any suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Hold out for some AVI Neutron IV or V if you can. Failing that, perhaps see if you can find some Proac Tablettes. Both are small speakers but given the room config I'm guessing that they'd work well.

Others to consider are PMC DB1+ (slightly older model but you might find some at your budget), Monitor Audio GR10 or GS10. The Alpha 9 has a decent amount of power so should be able to control most small speakers quite well.

In terms of wall mounting, see the links below. Have a good read up about the weight and size that they accept before jumping in though!

Target Hifi
Vogel
Pinpoint

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the advice and links, keeping an eye out for the neutrons, no joy yet.

I have been lookinig at a few new speakers online, how do any of the following sound: Wharfedale diamond 10.1 for £170, monitor audio bronze bx2 for £225 or Mordaunt Short mezzo 2 for £275. I was thinking about the 10.1's as trying not to spend too much, but would either of the others be worth the extra outlay do you think? Or better still to wait for some of the ones suggested.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

Never heard any of those speakers I'm afraid. I think you'd be selling the electronics short though. See what the winds bring in the next couple of weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts