Musical Fidelity X-Can V3

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked one of these up cheap from a cash converter the other week, I thought I would give it a whirl as I had never heard the V3 X-can.

Initial impression.......its rubbish. There is no sound stage, the treble is splashy and the mids sound recessed and muddy, it has good bass response but still a little muddy. Really disappointing even my Fiio E7/E9 combo trounces all over it.

Anyway since it was cheap I pulled it to bits had a quick look at the circuit. I have added a few bypass caps in a couple of places replaced the cheap I/P polarized electrolytics :shame: with something more suitable. I have also built and upgraded power supply the results......still disappointing. It sounds better but the sound stage was still poor and closed in. Anyway I have never been a big believer in valve rolling but I had a pair of JJ E88CC's lying around which matched up well on the AVO so I chucked them in. What a big improvement, the muddy sound has gone it now sounds half decent.

I can't understand why Musical Fidelity ham stringed these units, a few minor tweaks really brings it to life. Anyone else got one ?

A

Anonymous

hi i use the x-can v3 headphone amp
the only thing i changed was the valves for some russian spec ones
it was also a good improvement,
i have always liked the sound of this amp and never found it in any way splashy or have no sound stage,
the one you bought at cash coverters sounds like a dodgy one to me,
what are the headphones you use with the mf-amp.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
dvdaudio said:
hi i use the x-can v3 headphone amp the only thing i changed was the valves for some russian spec ones it was also a good improvement,
I usually don't go for the valve rolling as there is a lot of BS associated with it but on this occasion it did genuinely make a difference. Having said that the JAN Phillips ones I took out did have quite low emission when tested. For all I know this headphone amp could have been left permanently on for the last 5 years, but the valves are not stressed in this unit at all so they should last ages.
dvdaudio said:
i have always liked the sound of this amp and never found it in any way splashy or have no sound stage,
the one you bought at cash converters sounds like a dodgy one to me,
Test OK on the test bench. Its definitely better now, I have some audio grade caps coming today so hopefully they should improve it further.

dvdaudio said:
what are the headphones you use with the mf-amp.
Various

caesar44 said:
What about using Opamps on it? probably you'll notice even more improvements on the sound signature.
Maybe.....if it had some opamps in it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts