Musical Fidelity V-DAC2 vs Amplifier Upgrade

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok I will try to keep this as simple as I can. I use the internal dac in the asus xonar essence st at the moment and run from the phono outputs with chord crimson into the marantz pm6003 and onto my q500s via biwire at the speaker end.

I would like to know if moving upto a more powerful amp like a second hand Nad c370 would provide more of sound investment choice than changing the dac over to the new MF V-DAC2 as my budget for next upgrade will be £200 and both come in at this price exactly.

I listen to electronic music and hiphop. Mostly my source is flac or spotify premium.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would suspect that if you listen to electronica the mix of NAD and Q500's "may" not be the best choice tbh with you. Personal opinion of course. There is nothing wrong with the 6003 and is on par with the 370 quality wise although admitedly it doesn't deliver as much current. I would opt for V-DAC 2 tbh if it was a choice of either or!

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you have ideas as to whether the vdac2 has better dac chips than my current essence card? The idea of changing the amp has been with me a while because I tend to push the volume a lot on my days off in the week when everyone is out at work. If I can't feel the bass in my chest I'm not happy :) Not really what I'd call bass junkie though because I chose the q500s for the treble quality overall.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
IV've got the mf vdac ( when did 2 come out ? ) , only got a nad315bee amp and mission 780se speakers .... i cant give a good opinion on listening as i dont use that much :( i do however use teh dac via my pc into a graham slee solo srg11 and listen with sennhieser hd600 headphones......must say glad i bought the dac :)

now is it better than rthe dac on your soundcard ......my own logic would tell me yes..... main reason being that the dac has one job and one job only...... your sonar does alot of things for around the same price ( guessing ).... so the mf should win .... but i have no concrete evidence to back this up i'm affraid

manicm

Boy does the V-Dac II look just gorgeous. I now foresee my future hifi - and it doesn't involve flogging my Solo Mini nor does it involve streaming...

It will include this piece of beauty and a tablet with a USB port - so that may be the next iPad, or a forthcoming Windows 8 tablet.

The future looks good.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
i want to see soem reviews first... the only thinig i was previouly considering was teh rega dac... but its abit oricey ......only had teh vdac 1 a few months ... not sure its a wise investment o to get 2....although i supose i coudl sell the vdac 1

A

Anonymous

Excellent review in HI-FI News & Record Review or is that heracy to mention them here!

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Seriously considering one of these, but wondering whether the M1 DAC will now receive a similar upgrade, in which case I might be tempted to wait.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
of course, it's the M1 DAC-A and is due November, I can't link to it but you should find it if you google :) It will have a slightly different fascia and different coloured lights to the original.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
CustomCable said:
of course, it's the M1 DAC-A and is due November, I can't link to it but you should find it if you google :) It will have a slightly different fascia and different coloured lights to the original.

Great. Thanks for the info. When you say a different fascia, will it still match the existing M series kit or be totally different? Not a deal breaker but as I have the HPA and M3 amp it'd be good it it matched. Cheers - might have to get a pre-order in.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
from the words of MF "Slight changes to the fascia" I am awaiting piccies from them to show what the differences are but as yet nothing is available. I can only image it will be very slight!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
So you can buy the V-dac II in the UK already ? I live in Holland and they are still selling the old one here.............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts