Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifier Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

musiclover121

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
maybe it will sound much better, thats why i need demo, 76 wpc for 3 way speaker seems not enough, but just imo as beginer, as el hefe wrote a reviews here and i can change it at the shop with no cut for the m6i

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
To peterpan

One reason could be the M6i price: Fanthorpes Hi-Fi are giving them away for £1.500 minus your trade in crank.

Now, you tell me why not to get one!

Meet you there...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
@ Musiclover.....don't listen to the AMS35i, then.
evil.png

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
musiclover121 said:
maybe it will sound much better, thats why i need demo, 76 wpc for 3 way speaker seems not enough, but just imo as beginer, as el hefe wrote a reviews here and i can change it at the shop with no cut for the m6i

I am sure you will benefit from the M6i especially if you are getting it at a good price.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Just had lunch with MF sole distributor here... sometime in Q3 this year... there will be an upgraded M6i to be launched. Main changes will be its power is increased to 225 wpc and the pre and power amp section will have a separate power supply or something in that line.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi El Hefe I have heard that there is to be a new M6 CDP did that come up in conversation? I have just bought a M6 500i and I love it loads more scale

larger stereo image and POWER :grin: Ive still got my M6i as I still love it to I may build it into my surround system toghther with the M6500i at the front end

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi El Hefe I have heard that there is to be a new M6 CDP did that come up in conversation? I have just bought a M6 500i and I love it loads more scale

larger stereo image and POWER :grin: Ive still got my M6i as I still love it to I may build it into my surround system toghther with the M6500i at the front end

You sly dog.............enjoy! :dance:

:cheers:

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi El Hefe,

Saw you driving proac speakers with M6i, was just curious, are those D28's or D18?

I've got D28 on home demo at the moment and am looking for amp for them.

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
sa2013 said:

Thanks.

You should consider Tubes or SS Class A (Sugden/Luxman/Accuphase), as Proac was voiced with the former in mind.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
sa2013 said:

Thanks.

You should consider Tubes or SS Class A (Sugden/Luxman/Accuphase), as Proac was voiced with the former in mind.

Thank you CnoEvil, I will start a new forum topic so that I don't hijack this one.

SteveR750

El Hefe, Cno, everyone; I've just discovered MF with the M1 hadeaphone amp, all I can say is wow!

I've moved house, room is much bigger and I think the M2 is struggling a bit to persaude the D18s the shift the air with sufficient control. I've read through this with renewed interest.

Apart from the 6i, the Rotel pairing ought to be considered perhaps, but what else can I put on my shorts list? I know you like the AMS35i Cno, but it's only 35wpc and I think it would struggle at the level I listen to (loud enough so that you cannot have a conversation at times).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I know you like the AMS35i Cno, but it's only 35wpc and I think it would struggle at the level I listen to (loud enough so that you cannot have a conversation at times).

Don't be put off by the 35W if you have reasonably efficient Speakers.

It doubles its power into 4 Ohms and again into 2 Ohms; so with my speakers, which have a Sensitivity of 90dBs and an impedance that drops to 3.2Ohms, it can go uncomfortably loud....It sounds more like a 250W amp and has enough instant current to give a dramatic transient response, along with very deep, powerful and controlled bass.

I think you will find other owners will back up this view.

Other alternatives to consider might be Electrocompaniet, Sugden (IA-4) and the new Arcam Class G (A39/A49), which are a big step up (more exciting) from Arcams of old.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have owned the MIHPA headphone amp for a couple of years now, and I agree its brilliant. I think MF offer very good hifi at very competitive prices. All of my kit is now MF apart from the PMC23 speakers.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
I know you like the AMS35i Cno, but it's only 35wpc and I think it would struggle at the level I listen to (loud enough so that you cannot have a conversation at times).

Don't be put off by the 35W if you have reasonably efficient Speakers.

It doubles its power into 4 Ohms and again into 2 Ohms; so with my speakers, which have a Sensitivity of 90dBs and an impedance that drops to 3.2Ohms, it can go uncomfortably loud....It sounds more like a 250W amp and has enough instant current to give a dramatic transient response, along with very deep, powerful and controlled bass.

I think you will find other owners will back up this view.

Other alternatives to consider might be Electrocompaniet, Sugden (IA-4) and the new Arcam Class G (A39/A49), which are a big step up (more exciting) from Arcams of old.

Cno, I've started a MF thread, but there are some other ideas in that thread, including the AMS35i. I'm also looking at a Sugden A21SE, also class A low power on paper etc. I had an A19 amp for a while, it was chalk and cheese to the M2; not my cup of tea at all, so I'd need some convincing about anythin Arcam badged...

How does the AMS compare to the M6i?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
One thing I can vouch for with the Sugden A21SE is that if I turn it up you won't be able to have a conversation, there should be no worry on that score! My speakers are 87dB.

SteveR750

Thanksd Bogit, useful info. What size room? Mine's in 25ft x 15ft , with an opne archway into a dining room half as long again, same width. It's a bog old space to fill, as I've found out.

The D18s are 88dB so nothing in it.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As I,ve learn't today on a visit to Ivan, at IPL Acoustics its more about the correct size of speaker for your room, room acoustics, and speaker placement. My listening room is 12'x15' firing across short distance, if i were firing down the lenght, Ivan would of recomended the next size speaker up if i really wanted a larger speaker. But in that roomit is as loud as my 80 watt Leema Pulse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts