Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL - A Personal Review

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
First Minute impression....I found my missing link to my Concept. Review soon....

6302781496_62c812e6a3_z.jpg

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Now folks, been running the Concept TT through the ViNL for about 8 hours now over 2 days. And my first minute impression of the unit just got better and better.

People might feel that I went over the top with the remark of the missing link in my TT venture but this piece of kit really did gave the BIGGEST improvement compared to when I upgraded my CDP, Amp and speakers. Value for money it is indeed. Especially for someone whom have been facing lows and highs of using TT for the past few months.

Built

As the thread title suggest, it came in the increasingly popular shoebox black ash casing, similar to the other M1 series of CLiC, CDT, DAC and HPA. Relatively lightweight at 3.5 KG unboxed. Nicely finished with the normal 3 pin power cord, another feature that is always good in my book. I dont really like equipments that comes with those 9 Volts plug.

The display window is the similar light blue screen similar to CDT. It is easily legible from about 6 ft away.

The soft buttons for Power/Standby and the list of options between MC and MM and the response curve are very responsive and well laid across the front fascia.

Input/Output

1. 1 pair of RCA MM input

2. 1 pair of RCA MC input

3. 1 pair of RCA output

4. 1 pair of balanced XLR output

5. 1 trigger input

6. 1 trigger output

7. Earth connection

I particularly like the feature of having the XLR output but unfortunately I will not be able to use it as the only XLR input on my M6i amp is used by my M1 DAC. Bummer.

Features

This is the best. Well, at least for me as these features really gave me the biggest improvement. More importantly, I found that music signature that I long for from the TT. I do believe some of this impression I get is due to the fact that my ears are accustomed to MF signature.

1. MC Loading resistor selection

There are 10 options available to choose - 10,18, 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 or 470000 R (ohms).

With minimal knowledge, what I notice is that the higher the resistor value, the 'louder' the TT sounds. At a 10 o' clock volume on the amp, the TT sounds louder at 47k R and softer at 10R. After few hours of listening, it does not only do that but what it does (to my ears), smoothens some harshness on the high notes at 47K. Tried some 'noisy' LPs, and the harshness on some of them are reduced.

I find myself to like 47K R best for older LPs and 1600 R on new LPs.

For MC, capacitor is fixed at 470 pF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. MM loading resistor selection

Two options available at 47K and 68K R

3. MM loading capacitor

Eight options available - 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350 and 400 picoFarad (pF)

For items 2 and 3, I have no chance to test it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. RIAA and IEC

The choice to roll off the output at very low frequencies from the normal RIAA frequency response can be activated by choosing IEC.

On one of my old LPs that is very noisy, choosing IEC sounds much better as it reduces surface noise.

Listening Session

First went in was Diana Krall - Quiet Nights. First track was Walk on By. It sounded really different from my NAD phonostage. One thing for sure, the warm MF signature has been injected into the Concept TT. Very nice indeed. It gave me this chill to the spine. Diana's vocal extremely blends into the entire song.

Then went in my famous Black Dog Bone LP. It sounded less mechanical using ViNL. It took away some part of the 70's sound and gave it more life. Not sure whether thats what you want from your 70's LPs but it did took away a lot of background noise which then gives me a good clean sound with a touch of warmth.

OK, now those LPs have always been good to me eversince I got into TT. Now the greatest challenge is those so called 45 RPM audiophiles LPs, namely Metallica.

So went on Ride the Lightning LP. First track on was From Whom the Bell Tolls.

Applying 47K R and IEC, thats when Metallica sounded better than the usual sound I hear using NAD. More liveliness to the overall dull and flat sound previously heard via NAD. At 10 R and RIAA, its not worth listening to.

Next track was Fade to Black. The guitar intro was superb on 47K R and IEC. The drums still sounded a bit flat but there was an improvement.

I am still not convinced with this audiphile grade claim on 45 RPM. But I am glad this ViNL injected some life into my 45 RPM LPs.

Is it that good?

To me, YES. Why? Maybe because I am a novice in LP. Maybe because my forehead has an MF stamp on it. But my ears surely like what they are hearing.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not surprised you heard such a big difference between the Nad the MF. The Nad is after all a budget phonostage and the MF is in another league, both in price and sound quality. Glad that everything has finally come together for you in your quest for audio nirvana.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Sabby said:
I'm not surprised you heard such a big difference between the Nad the MF. The Nad is after all a budget phonostage and the MF is in another league, both in price and sound quality. Glad that everything has finally come together for you in your quest for audio nirvana.

You are right. Its not a fair comparison but I can say it is a huge step up from NAD.

A

Anonymous

Dear All

Finally Musical Fidelity gave acess to user manual in their web site!

I wonder to see internal pictures of this product before order one.

Even if it was brought aboard it has lots of customs taxes, so it is very expensive to us in Brazil. So I would like to know deep details to become confident to buy one. Internal pictures show up parts and assembly quality as well.

Tks to all

r_merola

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
excellent write up as always, El Hefe :type:

MF also sounds like :rockout: :dance: to my ears.

Here's to hoping that there will soon be some M1 ViNLs on the 2nd hand market with price drops similar to those with the M6i.

A

Anonymous

I've said here a couple of times that the difference between a budget phono stage and something more esoteric is huge. You won't here anything like the full range of frequencies or dynamics your vinyl replay can give without spending some more cash. Budget phono stages both onboard and offboard can be a major system bottleneck, your review seems to bear this out, hope you continue enjoying the significant gains.

:)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In the same way as the better the phono stage the better the sound. The same applies to the cartridge, which when you think about it, is logical, it is connected to the phono stage . . . Skimping on the cartridge is the same as using a cheap phono IMHO.

I know this is not a widely agreed with view, but its a fact for me. Set a half decent TT/arm up right, give a bit of attention to detail . . . it will perform better than most would give it credit for. Having just been this route, I know I overstepped the theoretical mark. However, the whole system seemed to step up to the plate and deliver the benefits of a quality cartridge, connected to a decent MC transformer and a valve phono stage . . . ???

CJSF

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
El Hefe

I've really appreciated your contributions to this forum - your communication and descriptions put many professional reviewers to shame! Maybe WHF should recruit you....

I haven't heard the Vinl or any of your MF units yet, but have a similar experience using the new Creek phono stage (the Wyndsor). This is a two-box unit and, once warmed up, provides a staggering amount of detail and drive. I previously used a Naim stageline, which was nice, but it's nowhere close to telling you what's on the record. Many Naim owners use one with very expensive t/ts and don't know what they're missing, regardless of improved power supplies etc.

Like the MF, the Creek has fully adjustable settings. I may try and listen to the MF but dealers in the UK who actually stock new products are getting hard to find in the UK now.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all for your positive comments. That would be a dream come true if I ever land on a job with WHF team, but with my level of English proficiency, I might need to attend extra English grammar classes.:rofl:

If I ever upgrade my Concept to a higher end TT, I might be inclined to upgrade the phono stage as well. Funny though, I am not a keen believer of the so call 'believe' of higher price = better sound quality as my past experience listening to various CDP, DAC etc, it was really hard to justify spending an extra GBP 500 to 1000 between 2 CDP models as the different in sound quality is rather minimal. But for the phono stage, I do tend to agree that a pricier phono stage may be able to provide better sound for your TT.

I also agree on other tweaks on the cartridges, tone arm etc. The impact of even the smallest adjustment or changes made on any part of the TT 'signal' can easily be heard.

A

Anonymous

Turntables seem more tweaky than digital sources, you really do get what you pay for and your not just throwing money away.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Spectre

I noticed you're using the Lehmann phono with a Creek Destiny 2 - you really should try the Creek Wyndsor phono! Settings are a bit OTT if you have 1 cartridge but the sound is superb, and units very compact.

A

Anonymous

Hello ! :wave:

This is my first post on this forum...

I decided to share some MF vinl nude pictures ... there are NE5532, LM318N and Panasonic FK capacitors on board...and some Jamicon's caps in PS..

I wonder what opininions you might have on built quality and used components...? :quest:

6862630749_2a680baf54_b.jpg

6862631291_ed7877fa92_b.jpg

6862631791_a7e03f564c_b.jpg

6862632269_4541489bcb_b.jpg

6862632851_22a669d3c4_b.jpg

6862633419_8e812d4aa4_b.jpg

6862633973_b613a16218_b.jpg

6862634581_25cc21efc8_b.jpg

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
TomTom said:
Hello ! :wave:

This is my first post on this forum...

I decided to share some MF vinl nude pictures ... there are NE5532, LM318N and Panasonic FK capacitors on board...and some Jamicon's caps in PS..

I wonder what opininions you might have on built quality and used components...?

The naked pictures......look very green.... SOrry TomTom....internal parts are way beyond my expertise nor interest.....i rather enjoy the music produced by the component rather than pondering on the internals....too much work...definitely not something I would want to venture into after long hours at work...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello El Heffe,

I just recieved my M1 Vinl yesterday an as I got my settings right Im still wondereing the difference between the IEC & RIAA options..... :?

If I got it right the IEC option should reduce the clicks an pops or.....

thanks for your advice...

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Roby,

Sorry for the late reply. Was travelling across Spain and France for the past 2 weeks.

Yes, thats wahat I experience with IEC. When used with some old records, there were less cracks and pops from them.

cpr

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello El Hefe,

First of all, thank you for such a well written review of M1VINL. Especially as being also an owner of Clearaudio Concept who is thinking about upgrading the phono stage.

Recently I was lucky to have an M1VINL on lend to try at home for 3 weeks. However, I did not share the same thoughts with you when I started to run it. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good product. But it did not bring too much improvent compared to my budget Cambridge Audio Azur 640P. Yes, the CA Azur received too many good critics that it is a great performer for its price, but in the end it is a budget device. I have tried it with several types of records; good recordings, bad recordings, heavy music, mellow music, etc. In some recordings the sound was a bit open, but even that difference was too subtle that it did not justify the 10 times price difference to Azur. And I did not get any changes with the different settings either. During these 3 weeks, my thoughts did not change. I was playing only through M1VINL for a couple of days, then getting back to Azur. And I was not missing anything.

Unlike you, I have the Concept MM cartridge. Maybe M1VINL shines better with MC, I don't know. In a couple of weeks, I will have chance to try Concept MC as well. May I ask you what cartridge you have? Concept MC? Or some other brand/type?

One more thing : I totally agree with you regarding the so called audiophile-ness (!!) of the 45 RPM remastered Metallica records. They are a disaster, especially Master of Puppets. I prefer playing the original old records :rockout:

All the best

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
cpr said:
Hello El Hefe,

First of all, thank you for such a well written review of M1VINL. Especially as being also an owner of Clearaudio Concept who is thinking about upgrading the phono stage.

Recently I was lucky to have an M1VINL on lend to try at home for 3 weeks. However, I did not share the same thoughts with you when I started to run it. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good product. But it did not bring too much improvent compared to my budget Cambridge Audio Azur 640P. Yes, the CA Azur received too many good critics that it is a great performer for its price, but in the end it is a budget device. I have tried it with several types of records; good recordings, bad recordings, heavy music, mellow music, etc. In some recordings the sound was a bit open, but even that difference was too subtle that it did not justify the 10 times price difference to Azur. And I did not get any changes with the different settings either. During these 3 weeks, my thoughts did not change. I was playing only through M1VINL for a couple of days, then getting back to Azur. And I was not missing anything.

Unlike you, I have the Concept MM cartridge. Maybe M1VINL shines better with MC, I don't know. In a couple of weeks, I will have chance to try Concept MC as well. May I ask you what cartridge you have? Concept MC? Or some other brand/type?

One more thing : I totally agree with you regarding the so called audiophile-ness (!!) of the 45 RPM remastered Metallica records. They are a disaster, especially Master of Puppets. I prefer playing the original old records :rockout:

All the best

cpr,

thanks for the compliment.... and you are doing the right thing actually....which is NOT to take review as something that is set in stone... Demo-ing the unit yourself is the best thing to do.... My reference when I said that it is my missing link and gave the biggest improvement is mainly because I believe the NAD PP2 I used previously did not match well with the Concept and also the rest of my set up.

And yes...I believe using MC also gave me that extra improvement... and I am only using the Concept MC.

In your case, I would try listening to MC first before upgarding your phono stage.

Have fun experimenting :)

cpr

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply El Hefe!

I am looking forward to trying the MC Cartridge, hopefully in 4 weeks time.

Take care!

NilsOscar

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful review.Did you experience any problems with grounding it? My mains aren't grounded. Are yours?(It says on the back: "THIS APPLIANCE MUST BE EARTHED")

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts