Musical fidelity m1 dac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bought the m1 on thursday it will arrive tomorrow, it replaces my old v-dac 2. i cant wait to plug it in, the reviews for this dac are great and surely if i enjoyed the v-dac 2 it will be a case of more of the same but better! i also bought a atlas navigator for a great price which (should) sound better than the atlas explorer i use, I thought about buying the audiolab-m dac but as i sit near field at my pc desk the audiolab may be bit in my face with all that detail being thrown at me, i think the mf dac was the right choice and a bargain at £400, musical fidelity know a thing or two about making good dac's!

A

Anonymous

When i say Musical fidelity know a thing or two about dacs i mean they were one of the first to really champion dac's along with arcam, this is why i think you cant wrong with a dac from arcam or mf.

A

Anonymous

My point is you get a great sounding dac for £400 where as the rega is £500 and does not have asyncrhonous usb, it does not matter that i paid full rrp for the dac, for me personally i bought the best dac that suited my need's, so i consider it a bargain to get a sweet sounding dac for £400.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
A few people in this forum might know how my ears are tuned to MF kit...so I can only agree about the comments on M1DAC.... The only gripe I have now is that mine is the first edition hence the USB is not asynchronous and does not have a power standby button.

A

Anonymous

For me the m1 was the only contender, always liked mf though, i have owned an x-series system many years ago x-ray, xa1, xa50, x-10d, see my profile picture, i wish i never sold it :cry:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
jimm said:
For me the m1 was the only contender, always liked mf though, i have owned an x-series system many years ago x-ray, xa1, xa50, x-10d, see my profile picture, i wish i never sold it :cry:

I feel u.... I had the same predicament when i wanted to upgrade from xa1 + xa50. Used for 12 over years.... But i did not regret upgrading to M6i.... My xa50 have had problems a fea times for the past 2 years also...did a final fix and sold it.

A

Anonymous

Nice amp mate, if i had £2,500 spare i would buy the m6i in a heartbeat!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
sorry to change the subject but I am thinking about changing my mission 752s and I was wondering El Hefe what size room you are running yor speakers in how close to side / rear walls you have them placed I am assuming that they work well with M6i as thats what your running I am also looking to bi amp to thanks for any help with this one any other speaker recomendations welcome musical tastes black keys ac/dc led zep hue and cry richard thompson yes the who

:cheers:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
toyota man said:
sorry to change the subject but I am thinking about changing my mission 752s and I was wondering El Hefe what size room you are running yor speakers in how close to side / rear walls you have them placed I am assuming that they work well with M6i as thats what your running I am also looking to bi amp to thanks for any help with this one any other speaker recomendations welcome musical tastes black keys ac/dc led zep hue and cry richard thompson yes the who

:cheers:

My room is 15 x 20 ft....my speakers are placed along the 15 ft wall...

Its 2 ft from the side wall and 2.5 ft from rear....how did i come to this you may ask? Forget about the mumbo jumbo rules of speaker placement....i tried so many of them and experimented....and none of them works. The placement I put in was basically by me sitting in my listening spot and my friend move the speakers around for me to find the sweetspot.

Regardless of what you hear about how the D18s need to be placed away from walls, to me those are very subjective. And below is an explanation from David Amey of ProAc on his visit to Malaysia.

1) Big E: ProAc seems to have moved all their speaker ports towards the bottom firing direction, any design or user application advantages for the move?

David: ProAc is heading that direction with all our floor standing speakers, as you can see. We feel a bottom firing port allows more flexible speaker placement in a domestic environment, which now days are increasingly subjected to the WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor), i.e. hifi must co-exist in harmony with the family well being. With a bottom firing port, one can place the pair of speakers that much closer to the rear wall with out the room boom effect, meaning more space for the family and a less intrusive speaker in the living environment. However, there two versions of the theme. First, on our more afford able models, the ports just fires direct to the floor, which is not so good, because we will never know what's under the speakers, like carpets or rugs, wooden or concrete floors are just some of the more common surfaces. So on our higher end speaker models, we built a plinth under the speaker, supported by an arch design on the sides. This design allows the bottom firing port to have a consistent surface to work on, allowing bass response to be more predictable. On our Carbon Pro Series speakers, the plinth is made from carbon fibre composites, which has a certain reflective quality, very desire able to achieving tuneful, tight and dynamic bass response.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
many thanks El Hefe I will try before I buy as room about same size but at the moment speakers firing down the room and a big change may be required and some £££ for wife to shop with to sweeten her up into seeing the merits of moving room around :rofl:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
A pair of earrings would usually softens things up LOL...
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Do you guys have already removed the lid of the M1 DAC?

Does anybody know the op-amps that are used in this DAC?

What is the brand of the capacitors?

A

Anonymous

Just got home, the m1 has arrived, it looks lovely, tank like build too, very easy to install, just plugged it in, will post my thoughts on the sound after a few days :dance:

A

Anonymous

The dac has been on all night, listened to a few songs and thing's have got better, i am not a reviewer so ill describe the sound as best i can, compared to my old v-dac 2/psu combo the m1 is a class above in every area, better detail with space between instruments, bass is tighter and rythmicly faster, female vocals are amazing, so soft and clear. My advice to any v-dac 2 owners who are thinking of spending £150 on the psu upgrade is to hold fire and save your cash, buy the m1 dac, it may share most of the internals of the v-dac 2 but sonicaly and tonaliy the m1 is very different, anyway, just my thought's, back to the music 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts