Music that makes you laugh or smile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

a few years back, I found a website quoting the all time great rock cd's/lp's ... I had a lot of them and read a good writeup about Captain Beefheart's Trout mask replica which I had never heard... and had never heard any music from Captain Beefheart

so decided to buy , could not find it in cambridge ... convinced the wife that it was a really really good cd and had her take off half a day's work so as to go to the music store and specially order it for me

Made her phone the cd store daily to find out if it had arrived ... during this time, she was really looking forward to hear this ... eventually arrived after 2 weeks... we sat down, stuck it in the hi-fi ... the horror on her face still makes me smile!

have listened a few times (still have it) ... smile everytime and somehow, I just dont fully understand this type of music .... and would say it's the worst cd I have ever bought (others may beg to differ)

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I really like Dan Le Sac Vs Scrubious Pip. Some of their stuff is very clever and certainly makes me smile.

"Though shalt not make repetitive generic music. Though shalt not make repetitive generic music. Though shalt not make repetitive generic music."

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
TrevD wrote: "The Lonely Island - Incredibad".

Brilliant! It's such a relief to know someone else is listening to this gem.
The Natalie Portman track is actually taken from a video that's on the BluRay of "V for Vendetta".
Take a close look at the extras and you'll find it . . . .

Also some of the early Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band stuff was also pure gold.
"Adolf Hitler on vibes, Mmmmmm!"

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
a few years back, I found a website quoting the all time great rock cd's/lp's ... I had a lot of them and read a good writeup about Captain Beefheart's Trout mask replica which I had never heard... and had never heard any music from Captain Beefheart

so decided to buy , could not find it in cambridge ... convinced the wife that it was a really really good cd and had her take off half a day's work so as to go to the music store and specially order it for me

Made her phone the cd store daily to find out if it had arrived ... during this time, she was really looking forward to hear this ... eventually arrived after 2 weeks... we sat down, stuck it in the hi-fi ... the horror on her face still makes me smile!

have listened a few times (still have it) ... smile everytime and somehow, I just dont fully understand this type of music .... and would say it's the worst cd I have ever bought (others may beg to differ)

Trout Mask Replica can certainly polarise opinions. It's a highly acclaimed experimental album but as such is pretty hard going to begin with. Perserverance pays off but you'll probably want to go and listen to something less challenging before you get to the point where you appreciate it fully. It was no58 in Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time. There are other Captain Beefheart albums with infinitely more accessible music, in fact, he has one of the best bluesy singing voices around. Don't let TMR put you off.

TRENDING THREADS