Music that makes you laugh or smile

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I have been enjoying listening to Flight of the Choncords on the daily commute into work (central London) this week - there's nothing quite like having a chuckle or smile to one's self when all around are looking like they'd rather be anywhere but...

Anyone got any recommendations for anything similar - I'm not talking Chas 'n' Dave here - something with at least a hint of a tune...!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I had a smile to Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers on the drive home yesterday. Particularly Government Centre, New Teller and I Was Dancing in the Le$bian Bar.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
'My Wife is on a Diet' by Leslie Sarony. It's just one of the tracks I've been astonished to find on Spotify. I have the original 78 (I used to collect them when I was a a student!) The words are very silly and non-PC, but I love the band - 1920s I think.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some classic Half Man Half Biscuit - such as Joy Division Oven Gloves - never fails. Don't think they're on Spotify, though. Great site here, though, including links to downloads of all their John Peel sessions.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Depends on your taste, but Monty Pythons Contractual Obligation Album makes me laugh. "All Things Dull & Ugly" is a particular favourite.

Also, Tom Lehrer is very funny.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Cheers everyone - wasn't sure I'd get such a good response... will have to wait until I get home - got caught by none other than the IT Director himself playing Spotify at work yesterday. He membled something about bandwidth - he clearly hasn't seen how many PC's in the organisation are running something off Youtube at any given moment in time!

A

Anonymous

"'Effing 'ell it's Fred Titmus" I'm with Clare on the Half Man Half Biscuit. Back In The DHSS is a great debut album. My current fave track by them is Vatican Broadside. At 31 seconds you can listen to the full song as a preview on iTunes.

A

Anonymous

There Ain't Half Been Some Clever B@%*£%ds' by Ian Dury. I especially like the Einstein verse:

'Einstein can't be classed as witless.

He claimed atoms were the littlest.

When you did a bit of splittemness,

Frighten everybody...'

Classic!

idc

Highlight of this cracking album is The Medical Love Song.........inflamation of the foreskin reminds me of your smile.......

41VM4F97YSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:All these posts and no mention of Tenacious D....
emotion-3.gif

Tenacious D are great and even better with video.

I used to like some of the songs from the albums released by `Not The Nine O`Clock News`, especially the first album. Most of the material on those albums are however very topical for the time when they were made.

The writer who makes me smile the most is Morrissey. I`m usually smiling just by reading some of the song titles on the back of the case. He is of course the Marmite of the music world so not sure if he`d be your taste.

`Big Balls` by AC/DC is quite amusing.

A

Anonymous

The Loney Island - Incredibad.

Comedian and HotRod star Andy Samberg's superb 'Fake MC' CD had me in stitches!!

With guests like Justin Timberlake, T Pain and 'Leon' star Natalie Portman, this spoof album is surprisingly well produced!!

Jack Black on 'Sax Man' had me in tears of laughter and sounds brilliant cranked up. Also check the video with JT, '* in a Box' very funny take on early 90's RnB. A great buy, just don't listen with the kids
emotion-5.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

61T0jThEPwL._SS400_.jpg

But it's definitely laugh rather than smile...

That'll be laugh as in choke/vomit at the appalling nature of it.Lou Reed went down the same road not so long ago.Vocals to die for.

So the audience did.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

61T0jThEPwL._SS400_.jpg

But it's definitely laugh rather than smile...

I haven`t heard this but the reports I`ve heard sound quite disturbing. To think earlier this year he built up all that credibility by becoming the oldest artist to have a number one album of new material. Hmmnn...

Do you think it will sound any better come December when you`re more in the mood for this sort of thing?

TRENDING THREADS