Music streaming from AVR

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all
This is a bit of a complicated question so bare with me. I am going to buy a separate integrated amp something like a Roksen Blak to power my MA gold G5 200 speakers rather than my Denon X6400H. My question is where I will need to buy a dedicated music streamer of if I can use the function from my Denon ? The issue will be a DAC. As far as I can see there is no digital output on the amp other than a spare HDMI output. So...question 1 - is there such thing as a hi quality dac which coverts HDMI into RCA. Question 2. If there is then is the Denon streaming capabilities with HEOS app just as powerful as buying a stand alone streamer
Thanks

abacus

Why do you say the Denon would not be up to it, have you tried it? Also most AV Receivers have a digital out that can be run straight into a DAC (Bypassing the pre-amp) which is another option, if you find the Denon pre-amp is not up to it.

Also remember that unless you use the Denon pre-amp you will lose the room correction system, which as the room makes the biggest difference in the sound, you are likely to end up having a less accurate sound, rather than a better sound.

Bill

Reactions: record_spot

record_spot

I can though the pre out of the Denon but then I’ll be subject the Denon pre amp and DAC which would not be up to it for the Roksan and speaker.

Why not just hook up to the Roksan amp's DAC (or had one I think?) and let that run the duties. You don't need to go mad on a separate DAC then. Apologies if I've got the Blak's details wrong.

record_spot

Second hand Oppo BDP-105 or BDP-205. They both have full streaming as well as HDMI inputs, with balanced outputs for the Roksen Blak.

Only if you want to pay through the nose. If 4K isn't an issue, there are cheaper options. A 205 is £2,000 and often more. Plus Oppo are out of business these days and not even sure if they have a service support in the UK still.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
You did indeed.
Sorry I didn't read the other posts before I added mine.
As an Oppo owner I think it's definitely the way to go. :)
Personally didn't see the point of record-spots' post...
Thanks everyone for your input. I suppose the simple question is should I buy a dedicated streamer / DAC or make use of the demons streaming capabilities? To answer - I’m not interested in using the ore out RCA directly into the Roksan I feel that would defeat the object of buying a premium amp. The pre Amos of the Denon are not ‘hifi’ and there is no digital out on my Denon.

my options are Denon amp steaming with HEOS. Direct out of HDMI. To a capable DAC. Or an external streamer /DAC. The only reason I’d use the Denon streaming is to maybe save money on a streamer by only buying a DAC

My hifi brain is saying for music to stay clear of the Denon and let that just take care of movies, which I’m fine with using the pre outs for

jjbomber

Personally didn't see the point of record-spots' post...
No, he's having a bad day. However he does contribute a lot of very good things on here. Indeed his suggestion on another thread of the Arylic S10 £50 streamer may well win the readers product of the year award when the time comes. So he's added a few negative things here on different threads without anything constructive. So what, we all have a bad day now and again. He is still well in credit.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts