Music storage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently purchased a Yamaha DSP-AX861SE AV amp with Kef speakers and, for the time being, a Sony GX120 DVD Recorder. What I would like to do is rip my CDs to my PC and connect this to the system, perhaps wirelessly. How should I go about this?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Use a PS3?
The PS3 is a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) client which comes wifi enabled, though also has a gigabit ethernet network adapter for wired networks.
So, bung a DLNA server on your PC (WMP 11, TVersity, Twonky Media, etc, etc, etc) and the PS3 connects to this. Will allow you to view audio, video and picture files.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
PS3 is overkill. Squeezebox is the best bet. Either the classic, or the new diuet. Great out the box quality, and FLAC compatibility

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Oh, and I am a bit of a fanboy so I'm happy for you to ignore my advice[/quote]

I have a PS3 too. Fantastic machine, but for the OP, overkill. And a squeezebox is silent. A PS3 can at times be a little noisy if it gets hot.
Also a squeezebox will play FLAC natively, has proper RCA outputs, and a digital COAX out. The PS3 also has a shockingly bad interface for large collections of music, unless you install Linux (which I have). The PS3 Operating System is great for games, not so good for large collections of media.
Not to mention the requirement of a TV being ON while you use it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Yes, all valid points. So why do I still like it so much?[/quote]

Its a great all rounder... and you like the occaisional random killing spree in GTA IV??? (I know I do)

A

Anonymous

Thanx for the responses guys; I went away to re-tile the bathroom - didn't think anyone would be replying!

Problem with PS3 - I'm a grandad and can't get my head around PC games (no offence intended) and my grandson is far too young (maybe by PS8?). I've Googled Squeezebox and that looks promising although I probably need to update my ASDL router as a first priority.

Some have said use an iPod and dock (good for travel and next car?) but I'm suspicious of the longterm battery life. I gather a factory fit is required to replace flat batteries and you dont even get your own unit back (that's an age thing again).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some of the more recent iPod docks from hi-fi companies (Arcam springs to mind; sure others are working on it, probably including Yamaha so it'd work with your amp easily) use intelligent charge, so they'll only juice the player if it needs it, not constantly trickle-charge so it screws the battery...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]If you want somewhere to store your music, buy a CD rack[/quote]

As soon as I have finished all my conversion to FLAC, the CDs are going into storage(Actually just the cases, I'll stick all the disks into a big multi CD holder). They take up too much room, and the quality I get now with FLACs into my Squeezebox Duet into Harmony DA9 DAC(currently borrowed, but on order) is sublime. Any 'CD' I want, with a few keyclicks...And hopefully a hifirack minus a CD player... yeah!

No room for nostalgia now...embrace the future :)

TRENDING THREADS