music sounds better in the dark

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
mission mark:i think that music sounds better at night with the lights off. and lay down with my eyes closed

anyone agree ?

Principally because vision takes up a lot more of your brain's 'processing power' than hearing. One reason I always spend some time testing the sound quality of AV receivers with the picture turned off.

A

Anonymous

even better with the grado sr60's on
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

It does; I agree

Love it when listeing to my other system and maybe whilst the wifes reading and some candles on; love watching the flickering light off my RX2's mid/bass driver cone
emotion-5.gif
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

eyes closed is definitely the key. nothing for the brain to process visually. just listened to Adele bbc1 studio sessions with me eyes closed - golly gosh, great god almighty and hallelujah

A

Anonymous

mission mark:

i think that music sounds better at night with the lights off...

I would like to add - when is very quiet around (hmm, yes, for most of us at night). Lucky Greenlanders...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:mission mark:

i think that music sounds better at night with the lights off. and lay down with my eyes closed

anyone agree ?

Couldn't agree more - you never hear moles complain about their hi-fis?
emotion-16.gif

until they reach 13 and 3/4s
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

mission mark:
i think that music sounds better at night with the lights off.......

Indeed it does. and black amplifiers sound much. much better than silver ones........

A

Anonymous

yep..... but you can hear the clicks and pops on the vinyl more clearly as well
emotion-5.gif
oh yeah ; and you trip over things when you get up to change sides....

I play in a couple of bands and have the nice job of playing bass and quite often stand at the back with my eyes closed getting into what the other guys are playing... We have just finished putting an album together and I am looking forward to playing it loud in the dark with my eyes shut, just have to wait for the fat moany bloke next door to not be in..

Tonestar1

betamale:You are, without a doubt right. To expand on that, a fresh pot of coffee percolating in the next room tops it off for me.

Sack the coffee a good red in hand enhances the sound no end,

In all seriousness The less stimulation your brain has to cope with the more it can focus on the task at hand. That's why lots of people bite their tongue when thinking hard. Brain doesn't have to compute what the tongue (full of nerve endings) is doing.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I read that late night listening is improved by a 'cleaner' electrical power supply also...not entirely sure this is the reason but to me anyway, you can't beat a late night session with the lights dimmed...and when I used to drink, a nice glass (or three) of red wine...

Funny, that since I stopped drinking, the late night sessions don't happen nearly as often...and I don't get up in the morning with CD's scattered all over the living room floor !!??
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I agree also. Just being able to sit down and listen to 'my' music is a godsend. I'm sure like a lot of parents on here, during the day I have to be careful which tracks I choose because of lyrical content.

When I lived at home we had no central heating. I sure my system sounded more refined and tighter on a cold Winters night. Might have just been me. By it was cold in my bedroom sometimes. Sat there with a duvet around me playing on the Megadrive.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

I'm sure like a lot of parents on here, during the day I have to be careful which tracks I choose because of lyrical content

That's the beauty of death metal..... Nobody can understand a word they're growling about.
emotion-2.gif

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
NSYGrinner:
I agree also. Just being able to sit down and listen to 'my' music is a godsend. I'm sure like a lot of parents on here, during the day I have to be careful which tracks I choose because of lyrical content.

tell me about it :(

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree, nusic sounds awsome with eyes closed but I always fall asleep if I do that even if I have my grados up loud and I'm 27! So I just turn the lights off and stare into darkness.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:NSYGrinner:

I'm sure like a lot of parents on here, during the day I have to be careful which tracks I choose because of lyrical content

That's the beauty of death metal..... Nobody can understand a word they're growling about.
emotion-2.gif

There are words in there?????.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts