Music received for Xmas

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear what "new" music people got for Xmas. My list is:

1) Donizetti - 'Anna Bolena' - Not an opera I knew but with Anna Netrebko and Elina Garanca singing it was bound to be good and in fact it's great. It's the DVD that I was given and it's going to be on my playlist a lot this year. Not an easy opera though so not for anyone wanting to start exploring!

2) Elina Garanca - 'Bel Canto' - You may have guessed that I love Garanca and this is more lovely singing of the top order from her.

3) Magdalena Kozena - 'Lamento' - Another brilliant mezzo (Gramophone's artist of the year) singing less well-known Bach. Superb!

4) Schubert Complete Symphonies - Vienna Philharmonic, Istvan Kertesz - I used to have these (some of them anyway) on vinyl and these remasters are great. I've read reviews saying that his playing of the early symphonies isn't of the highest order but they are pretty lightweight IMO and it's the later symphonies you want and these interpretations are top class. A great bargain at less than £15 for 4 packed CDs.

5) Beethoven Complete Piano Concertos - Ashkenazy, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Solti - I was a bit surprised to get these as I've always favoured other interpretations but a knowledgeable friend bought them for me with a note saying "Listen with an open mind" so that's what I'm doing. The playing is very fine but I'm not convinced that Ashkenazy gets to the soul of Beethoven.

What did you get and what do you think of it?

Chris

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Paper Aeroplanes, We were ghosts

Rachel Sermanni, Under mountains

The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow

Joshua Radin, Underwater

Joshua Hyslop, Between the mountain and the valley

Barely a bad track to be heard on any disc!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Some good choices there, just heard a few samples, must admit do not know any of these bands, where do you hear these? Joseph Hyslop sounds the best to me. Do you know a group called The Swell Season they are a bit like some of music you bought.

Have not ordered any yet but prob. be:

Solas - Words that Remain

Eric Bibb - Deeper in the Well

Art Pepper - Blues for the fisherman

Capercaillie - To the Moon

:)

Still sorting the rest out, depends on price and what formats are available.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
[Kraftwerk]

Theres a thought, quite enjoyed some of there stuff years ago, may get Autobahn myself.

May even buy some Tangerine Dream, have not anything like that in my collection.

jjbomber

Not sure if these count but they have only just surfaced from under a volcano in Japan.

Led Zeppelin: 25th May 1977 Landover, Maryland SOUNDBOARD

Led Zeppelin: 30th May 1977 Landover, Maryland SOUNDBOARD

I already had the audience versions and the Soundboards from the 26th and 28th, but only now the SBDs have surfaced from the 25th and 30th. Not sure how they took so long. There are still 7 concerts from the 1977 tour ''missing'', so here's hoping for next Christmas.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Some good choices there, just heard a few samples, must admit do not know any of these bands, where do you hear these? Joseph Hyslop sounds the best to me. Do you know a group called The Swell Season they are a bit like some of music you bought.

Have not ordered any yet but prob. be:

Solas - Words that Remain

Eric Bibb - Deeper in the Well

Art Pepper - Blues for the fisherman

Capercaillie - To the Moon

:)

Still sorting the rest out, depends on price and what formats are available.

Hi Big H,

Glad you liked my selection... discover artists like these in various ways;

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/

Spotify and last FM.

Particularly love Joshua Hyslop myself... a few more names for you;

Peter Bradley Adams

Lucy Rose

Barnaby Bright

Megan Henwood

Cara Dillon

Catherine Feeny

Kate Walsh

Karine Polwart

To the moon by Capercaillie an excellent album, love Solas too... have you heard any solo albums by Karen Matheson, lead singer from Capercaillie?- The dreaming sea and A time to fall both very good CD's.

Cheers

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts