Music on Hard drive - best method to play it

gurkin1979

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, I have now stored all my cds, audio onto a hard drive and am looking for the best way of being able to play it without losing too much audio and avoiding having to have a computer set up next to the system. I have what i still think is a decent system which i've never had to upgrade really....until now (set of Kef Refernece 3.2s, powered by a Meridian 557 power and a Meridian 502 pre and usually use a 508 24 bit cd player).

The 502 pre has only phonos or XLR inputs so am looking for something to bridge this gap. What can i use to read my flacs, WAVs, MP3s etc from the hard drive, with decent functionality and above all top quality sound. Will i need to fork out for a DAC. Is it worth uploading all the music onto something instead as i have quite a bit stored. Budget is variable - if the right machine gives me what i want then i'll pay good money for it.

I am aware that there are numerous places i could add this but it doesn't really fit into any specific thread i have come across yet (apologies in advance).

Any ideas would be much appreciate as it's been a while since i knew what was what and it seems everything's superceeded me!

n

A

Anonymous

Is your music stored on the pc hard drive or a seperate NAS drive ? Dac would be obvious choice but you need to think about getting from pc to Dac to hifi ? Wireless streamers like Sonos would be one way to do it

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A better answer might be as follows...

...I just picked up a fairly old (2006 I think) Mac Mini for £90 from gumtree. It has optical out, so I lead this out to my relatively new Beresford Bushmaster DAC, which cost me about £190. The Mac has a pretty large HD, but I bypass that and connect to my NAS.

The Mac Mini is awesome - even with one that old I can stick pretty much any software I like on it. Even from the standard audio out it sounds fine, but via the DAC it''s pretty amazing. I use an old iPad that I had kicking around to control it all via a mixture of VPN and Apple Remote. You could pick up an old iPad for peanuts, or a new Android tablet.

Job done. At the risk of sounding arrogant (hello there CSE!), job done!

Have a lovely day y'all...

gurkin1979

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much for this. Very kind and helpful. Am i right in thinking you can control the mini mac with the ipad? All the music is on a portable hard drive so guess i could run it through the minimac but will this lose any quality?

I was toying with the idea of using something like a Naim unitiserve - does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge on these or a waste of time?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
gurkin1979 said:
This is not an issue - i've previously been evicted for noise 'pollution'

Now there's something to be proud of. If you had been 'polluting' me, eviction would have been the least of your problems.

pgoody

May 3, 2012
Visit site
You should also consider a Naim or a Linn streamer. I just had a listen to Linn Majik DSM. It was really great. You could use it as a source or pre-amp directly into your power amps so it would not add a box if you sold the pre-amp. You can use your IPad / IPhone as a remote controll and stream from your Computer or a NAS. The connectivity of the DSM is really great. You get RCA, optical and HDMI inputs and even a phono stage. The IPad app works great.

gurkin1979

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
Now there's something to be proud of. If you had been 'polluting' me, eviction would have been the least of your problems.

If you were my neighbour, sounds like i would have left anyway....

NOTE from MODS to ALL PARTIES - Let's leave it there now and keep further posts on topic

gurkin1979

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
pgoody said:
You should also consider a Naim or a Linn streamer. I just had a listen to Linn Majik DSM. It was really great. You could use it as a source or pre-amp directly into your power amps so it would not add a box if you sold the pre-amp. You can use your IPad / IPhone as a remote controll and stream from your Computer or a NAS. The connectivity of the DSM is really great. You get RCA, optical and HDMI inputs and even a phono stage. The IPad app works great.

Thanks for this. I have a feeling a Naim ND5 XS sounds tempting although slightly worried about the DAC. Other "curve-ball" option i've just been told about is a Pioneer CDJ2000. I know it's not quite in line with the other peices here but i've been told they read hard drives / flash sticks. Seems like another option (with added bonus of being able to claim i can DJ or learn) although again i have no idea what the quality would be like. Seems like if these are the staple diet of numerous festivals and clubs round the world they're not going to compromise?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts