Music Magpie anyone? - updated 13/4

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Anyone bought from them? Just purchased a couple of compilation CDs from their eBay store. They were listed at £2.39 each inc P&P, not bad considering they're both double CDs in 'fat packs', and I got 50% off one of them for buying two albums at once. They have 99.4% feedback with 6.3m ratings. Looking at the negative feedback, it would appear the main complaint is that if you are one of the unlucky 6 in 1,000 customers to buy a lemon, you may as well go shout at a wall than expect their non-existent customer service department to respond to messages. It's a risk I'd take at £2.39 a shot but some of their CDs are not quite so competitively priced.
 

Paulq

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2007
332
13
18,895
MajorFubar said:
Anyone bought from them? Just purchased a couple of compilation CDs from their eBay store. They were listed at £2.39 each inc P&P, not bad considering they're both double CDs in 'fat packs', and I got 50% off one of them for buying two albums at once. They have 99.4% feedback with 6.3m ratings. Looking at the negative feedback, it would appear the main complaint is that if you are one of the unlucky 6 in 1,000 customers to buy a lemon, you may as well go shout at a wall than expect their non-existent customer service department to respond to messages. It's a risk I'd take at £2.39 a shot but some of their CDs are not quite so competitively priced.
I have bought quite a few from them and found it to be a bit hit and miss. Quality was iffy on some but my major gripe is that at least 3 of the CDs I ordered never turned up. As you say, getting some redress was rather challenging.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Well if these turn up I shall consider myself lucky, and warned. When a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. We'll see how it goes.
 

AntAxon

New member
Jan 9, 2015
47
0
0
MajorFubar said:
Anyone bought from them? Just purchased a couple of compilation CDs from their eBay store. They were listed at £2.39 each inc P&P, not bad considering they're both double CDs in 'fat packs', and I got 50% off one of them for buying two albums at once. They have 99.4% feedback with 6.3m ratings. Looking at the negative feedback, it would appear the main complaint is that if you are one of the unlucky 6 in 1,000 customers to buy a lemon, you may as well go shout at a wall than expect their non-existent customer service department to respond to messages. It's a risk I'd take at £2.39 a shot but some of their CDs are not quite so competitively priced.
I've ordered quite a few secondhand CDs from Music Magpie. They have all turned up after a few days okay. The only problem I've had is a couple have had cracked jewel cases. They have all played without any issue. If I were buying new however I would probably use Amazon or another reputable supplier.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
AntAxon said:
If I were buying new however I would probably use Amazon or another reputable supplier.
Indeed. Strangely they do sell allegedly-new CDs, even though I thought their whole business model revolved around buying used CDs in bulk for comparatively little then selling them individually at a profit.
 

steve_1979

Well-known member
Jul 14, 2010
231
8
18,795
I've bought over a hundred CDs from them via eBay and Amazon. The CDs always arrive promptly and in excellent to good condition.

The one time when I received a CD in worse condition than described I contacted them and they offered a refund without any issue.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
2
0
Yes I have used them a few times. They used to be called Zoverstocks, one of the big sellers on Amazon for used cds. Delivery was quick, only had an issue with one cd which would not play on my cdp, which they replaced with another one without any problem. Most of these were 1p + postage. Have not used them for a few years as everthing I want to buy is expensive used.
 

DougK

Well-known member
Dec 8, 2013
1,192
849
20,070
steve_1979 said:
I've bought over a hundred CDs from them via eBay and Amazon. The CDs always arrive promptly and in excellent to good condition.

The one time when I received a CD in worse condition than described I contacted them and they offered a refund without any issue.
Same here, been using them for years. Compare their prices on eBay and Amazon as they do vary on certain CDs. Jewel cases are generally in poor condition and I've had the odd bad one that wouldn't play due to sratches but have always found their customer service pretty good. Did have one that skipped on CD player, contacted them and they refunded without the need to return the item, however, I managed to rip it so didn't need to get a replacement.

I don't buy many new CDs now, mostly used from Amazon merchants and eBay, so don't be scared of trying other suppliers too on both sites. My success stories buying used far outnumber the lemons.

What does astound me with CDs is how do people manage to trash them so easily. Some of my CDs are over 30 years old and they are pristine.
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
3
18,545
DougK said:
steve_1979 said:
I've bought over a hundred CDs from them via eBay and Amazon. The CDs always arrive promptly and in excellent to good condition.

The one time when I received a CD in worse condition than described I contacted them and they offered a refund without any issue.
Same here, been using them for years. Compare their prices on eBay and Amazon as they do vary on certain CDs. Jewel cases are generally in poor condition and I've had the odd bad one that wouldn't play due to sratches but have always found their customer service pretty good. Did have one that skipped on CD player, contacted them and they refunded without the need to return the item, however, I managed to rip it so didn't need to get a replacement.

I don't buy many new CDs now, mostly used from Amazon merchants and eBay, so don't be scared of trying other suppliers too on both sites. My success stories buying used far outnumber the lemons.

What does astound me with CDs is how do people manage to trash them so easily. Some of my CDs are over 30 years old and they are pristine.
From the look of some of them thay have been left naked in a car glovebox to rattle about with all the other junk or thrown onto the passenger side floor after playing , some have obviously been used as coasters or makeshift side plates.

Most "ordinary" people have zero respect for Cd's , I blame tommorrows world. *aggressive* *smile*

I have been lucky with all my music magpie purchases so far.
 

macdiddy

Well-known member
Sep 3, 2010
87
3
18,545
with any of the cd/dvd/bluray's that i have purchased through Musicmagpie whether new or secondhand.

usually much cheaper than amazon's own price especially on films.

will continue to use them.

*good*
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
steve_1979 said:
I've bought over a hundred CDs from them via eBay and Amazon. The CDs always arrive promptly and in excellent to good condition.

The one time when I received a CD in worse condition than described I contacted them and they offered a refund without any issue.

 
+1
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
So my CDs arrived today...two double albums. One album is fine (both CDs) but one CD of the other album won't play the last 4 tracks because of advanced disc rot. Not sure whether that makes me 50% lucky or 75% lucky, depending on your viewpoint. Doesn't say much for their 'meticuous quality checks'. But still, for the price of a brew in a posh cafe, I'd still say it was worth the risk. I've asked for a refund on the unplayable CD.
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
3
18,545
MajorFubar said:
So my CDs arrived today...two double albums. One album is fine (both CDs) but one CD of the other album won't play the last 4 tracks because of advanced disc rot. Not sure whether that makes me 50% lucky or 75% lucky, depending on your viewpoint. Doesn't say much for their 'meticuous quality checks'. But still, for the price of a brew in a posh cafe, I'd still say it was worth the risk. I've asked for a refund on the unplayable CD.
You are indeed very unlucky, I have never ever seen a Cd with disc rot and I have handled many thousands of Cd's in my time.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
2
0
Electro said:
MajorFubar said:
So my CDs arrived today...two double albums. One album is fine (both CDs) but one CD of the other album won't play the last 4 tracks because of advanced disc rot. Not sure whether that makes me 50% lucky or 75% lucky, depending on your viewpoint. Doesn't say much for their 'meticuous quality checks'. But still, for the price of a brew in a posh cafe, I'd still say it was worth the risk. I've asked for a refund on the unplayable CD.
You are indeed very unlucky, I have never ever seen a Cd with disc rot and I have handled many thousands of Cd's in my time.
I had one that skipped on my CDP but would play on the computer. I told them about it and they said keep that one and they sent me a replacement.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
634
12,070
They offered pennies, wish I didn't bother. Only realised after I got the receipt. It was in an exchange for one of their vouchers along with many games being traded in.

Not sure how much Music Magpie offers but if prices are similar I'd suggest donating them to a local charity instead.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Electro said:
You are indeed very unlucky, I have never ever seen a Cd with disc rot and I have handled many thousands of Cd's in my time.
I've had several, out of a collection of circa. 700 CDs, and all of them were pressed at PDO in Blackburn, Lancashire. This one included. It's a well known problem with CDs pressed at that particular plant between 89-92. So well known in fact, PDO offered free exchanges to any affected customers right upto 2005, providing you had proof of original purchase. But who the hell keeps a CD receipt at all, if the CD at least plays the day you take it home? Let alone keeps it for 12-15 years.

I've ordered another copy of the same CD from another seller. Almost certainly this will still have been pressed by PDO as well, so this too could be 50/50 whether it plays or not, if the seller hasn't checked it recently. We shall see.
 

laserman16

New member
Nov 23, 2007
99
0
0
insider9 said:
They offered pennies, wish I didn't bother. Only realised after I got the receipt. It was in an exchange for one of their vouchers along with many games being traded in.

Not sure how much Music Magpie offers but if prices are similar I'd suggest donating them to a local charity instead.
From what I can remember it was not a lot at all. Most of what we sold was very popular stuff though, which probably had thousands upon thousands of copies sold when released.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
insider9 said:
They offered pennies, wish I didn't bother. Only realised after I got the receipt. It was in an exchange for one of their vouchers along with many games being traded in.

Not sure how much Music Magpie offers but if prices are similar I'd suggest donating them to a local charity instead.
I did intend selling a bundle to Magpie, but they were offering so little I didn't bother. Instead I now send them to a friend who sells them as a part of his little business and I get a new CD of my choice in exchange.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts