Music from NAS to DAC

Artoo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi all!

I'm about to build my first hifi system, considering the Hegel H80 amp, which has a built in DAC. I also plan to get a (Synology) NAS in the future to store music in flac format and wonder how I would play these files through the DAC without using a computer? The H80 has optical, coax and usb input (but no dnla), the NAS has a usb port but I do not know whether that can be used for transferring the music directly to the DAC, or if I need some kind of adapter or media device in between the two. I'd also would like to have the possibility to play up to 192/24 files this way, which is supported by the optical and coax inputs of the DAC. How can I do this, keeping cost down, without loosing too much sound quality on the way?

Cheers!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
You can connect a DAC directly to the Synology USB, but it might be worth checking the synology website to see of your DAC is listed.

It should be fine as most do work but YMMV.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The Synology NAS can output a signal through its USB port direct to your DAC. If you go down this (nicely simple and fine-sounding) route, you'll be using the Synology's own music-streaming software (Audio Station), which you can control from a smartphone or tablet. It's very easy to set up and is almost entirely maintenance free.

Audio Station isn't the most flexible or user-friendly software, but it's stable and clean.

Artoo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Ok, sounds good! Audio station seems like a good way to go. I guess I'll have to convert 24/192-files to 24/96-files as the DAC only handles up to 24/96 through the usb interface.

Could something like Hiface 2 be plugged in directly to the NAS, sending 24/192 to the coax interface? (Or perhaps even some cheaper adapter?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts