Music Fidelity A100 upgrade or modern amp?

Iainj1978

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

First post so hello to all....

I have 300-400 to spend on a 'new' amp and was considering the Cyrus 6xp or NAD C356BEE but I have an A100 gathering dust and not working. Does anyone have experience of upgrading one of these and how it would compare? It'll be running with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, Apple TV and pair of Monitor Audio RX2's....I listen to an electic range but would err on the side of blues, soul, hip hop and electronic music.

I have info on Arkless and JS Audio who offer the service for about 300 quid.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

iain

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Iain,

Not sure I can help you, but just wanted to say that many years ago I had the A100's little brother, the A1.

Sweet and warm (in both senses of the word, due to its class A workings!) and powerful beyond its ratings with a beautiful midrange....

It's what set me off down the path to Valves.

Just saying that if you go the A100 route and like the sound, you might not be able to go back to 'normal' SS Amps in the future.

I know I couldn't.

Iainj1978

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

It's ran emotive amp I remember buying it from the trade in rack when all my friends were buying marantz and pioneer amps and it sounding completely different, very warm and involving as you say.

I'm just out of touch with how amps have moved on in the last ten years and interested to hear people's thoughts...

I suspect I'll stick with the amp, but repair for £100 or upgrade for £300?

Thanks

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd go and have a listen to a few...

Amps have changed quite a bit in the last ten years, but an older Amp that sounded great in its day will still sound great.

That, and £300 isn't going to get you much of an upgrade.....

If you can get your A100 up and running for hundred quid, I'd definitely do that.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Hi Iain,

Not sure I can help you, but just wanted to say that many years ago I had the A100's little brother, the A1.

Sweet and warm (in both senses of the word, due to its class A workings!) and powerful beyond its ratings with a beautiful midrange....

It's what set me off down the path to Valves.

Just saying that if you go the A100 route and like the sound, you might not be able to go back to 'normal' SS Amps in the future.

I know I couldn't.

I am sure you speak as you find but my experience of these amplifiers are exactly the opposite.

The A series were some of the worse product from an establised manufacturer that I have ever seen. Very much 'flavour of the month' in their day we had a fair few customers who 'upgraded' systems we had supplied with one of these amplifiers, almost always 'ended in tears'.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As you say, I speak as I find.

Had my A1 for a long time. I used it for years without any trouble, then the Volume pot got a bit noisy and I bought something else. Didn't trade it in as it did duty in the second system in the kitchen.

I sold it on eBay earlier this year and got a couple of hundred quid for it.

Seems there's a lot of people out there remember them fondly too.

I don't think the A series were great in the usual domestic set-up as they run really hot, but if looked after and kept well ventilated, as was mine, well, like I said, I never had any problems.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
As you say, I speak as I find.

Had my A1 for a long time. I used it for years without any trouble, then the Volume pot got a bit noisy and I bought something else. Didn't trade it in as it did duty in the second system in the kitchen.

I sold it on eBay earlier this year and got a couple of hundred quid for it.

Seems there's a lot of people out there remember them fondly too.

I don't think the A series were great in the usual domestic set-up as they run really hot, but if looked after and kept well ventilated, as was mine, well, like I said, I never had any problems.

Your story is not unusual, there were certainly some good examples about, but the issue with these amplifiers was a lack of consistency and poor relibility. One week's product was very different from the next and some of the (well substantiated) stories that were in circulation were very disturbing. We were not MF dealers but some of our friends were and much of what they told me could not be repeated on a public forum.

Iainj1978

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback davedotco, I'm not sentimental just want some opinions on best use of spending up to £400.. What would you recommend?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Iainj1978 said:
Thanks for the feedback davedotco, I'm not sentimental just want some opinions on best use of spending up to £400.. What would you recommend?

Keep saving your pennies and buy a Creek 50a.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts