Multi channel vs stereo dilemma

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am in the position of making a change in my hifi away from CDs as a primary source and moving towards FLAC streamed music. However the method by which this is implemented is causing me a dilemma. I have narrowed it down to 2 options which are quite different and I am looking for any opinions either way. Just to be clear, my priority is great sounding stereo music - the multi channel films, TV etc are secondary.

Option 1.

System based on Naim Uniti for FLAC streaming and amplification. Surround speakers driven by my current Yamaha E180 surround processor which does a nice job of rears and centre. However the key aspect is that using the Yamaha is optional and will be turned off for normal stereo listening.

Option 2.

Go for a multi channel home cinema receiver (such as Pioneer SC-LX 83) to handle everything including stereo music

My concerns about option 2 may be a bit outdated, but I am worried that the stereo will not sound as "HiFi" as option 1

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bencliff:
Hi,

I am in the position of making a change in my hifi away from CDs as a primary source and moving towards FLAC streamed music. However the method by which this is implemented is causing me a dilemma. I have narrowed it down to 2 options which are quite different and I am looking for any opinions either way. Just to be clear, my priority is great sounding stereo music - the multi channel films, TV etc are secondary.

Option 1.

System based on Naim Uniti for FLAC streaming and amplification. Surround speakers driven by my current Yamaha E180 surround processor which does a nice job of rears and centre. However the key aspect is that using the Yamaha is optional and will be turned off for normal stereo listening.

Option 2.

Go for a multi channel home cinema receiver (such as Pioneer SC-LX 83) to handle everything including stereo music

My concerns about option 2 may be a bit outdated, but I am worried that the stereo will not sound as "HiFi" as option 1

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

You're almost certainly right (I say almost as the 83 is meant to be reasonable for stereo), if you have the option to connect the Yamaha to the Uniti in order to run the front speakers from the Uniti then that would give you the best performance in stereo.

John Duncan

bencliff:Option 1.System based on Naim Uniti for FLAC streaming and amplification. Surround speakers driven by my current Yamaha E180 surround processor which does a nice job of rears and centre. However the key aspect is that using the Yamaha is optional and will be turned off for normal stereo listening.

emotion-21.gif

I'm about to plug my Yamaha '620 into the Uniti to do exactly the same thing...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts