MT-30:Which AV Receiver???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Any suggestions as to which AV amp I should go for to match my B&W MT-30 speaker set-up? I've just moved in and the kit is in a room more or less 3m x 3m square. TV is Philips 42PF9831 full HD and there's a Sky HD feed. Ideally I would get 3 HDMI in plus 2 out to allow me to drive a spare TV in the next room. Any suggestions gratefully considered.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We were doing so well until you mentioned the need for two HDMI outputs. To achieve that, you're looking at a very few receivers, the Onkyo TX-NR905 being the obvious example at about £1400.

The way round this is to use an HDMI splitter, allowing the signal to be fed to two displays - it might be much more cost-effective to spend £70 or so on a unit like this, which will take one HDMI input and feed it to two TVs.

But bear in mind that HDMI isn't great over long cable runs - if your other TV is more than about 10m from the AV receiver you may be pushing things a bit, unless you slot in a repeater or equaliser such as those here somewhere down the cable to boost the signal. Otherwise you may well get 'sparklies' - little glittery bits of interference on the picture - or the cliff effect, where the signal gets so weak you simply get no picture at all.

Anyway, use a splitter such as this, and you could use much more affordable receivers, which would drive the MT30s well. Obvious contenders are the Sony STR-DA5200ES and the Onkyo TX-SR875, which sell in the £800-£1000 range

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response. Your comments on the second HDMI out are
certainly making me think, and I'm encouraged by the Sony
recommendation. I know it's been reviewed as a good piece of kit. I'll check out the splitters and have a re-think...

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts