ms904 upgrade to mission 752 freedom

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
With a marantz pm-66se KI Signature amplifier and terminated qed silver anniversary biwire cables I'm stuck with deciding to replace my speakers or not. My source is a soundcard with pretty good dacs in it the 1212m card thru some handmade phono cables i got off ebay for £60 some years ago that were well reviewed.
I have MS904 not the i version and I'm finding that its not got the low end and when adjusted on the amp/pc to add a little more low end I lose the lyrics in the mess at high volumes. I'm looking at mission 752 freedoms in mint condition because i can get them for the exact price i can sell my ms for. Will these speakers change my life?

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Not with your amp I'm afraid. I had this set up a while ago and found the sound pretty 'thin'. I swapped the KI sig for a Sansui amp and the missions sounded wonderful.

T

the record spot

Agree with Dave - if the 66-KI is anything like the PM6010-KI that I had, then it was not a happy marriage. HOWEVER, if you partner the amp with a bassy CDP, Audio Analogue Paganini for instance, then you'll get the balance. If, however, your CDP is on the lean side, forget the KI amp.

Slap a Sansui on and you'll be fine. Mine makes the Missions sing and while the AU-217 which both Dave and I had/have, the more beef the speakers get, the better they are. Music just becomes more alive, dynamic and lifelike. £200 should get you a 717, £600 will get you an Audiolab pre/power arrangement, £900 will get you 2 x 8000M monoblocks and an 8000Q pre. That's where my cash would be heading, or at least, where my shortlist pen would be going. I just don't see the 66 cutting it.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As much as I'd love to simply buy a sansui au-717 this evening as funds are available to snap it up for £200 I have no idea where to buy one. Any ideas? Thanks for the input by the way.

T

the record spot

Ebay, usually, occasionally you might land one on Gumtree, but the 'bay is probably your best bet. Buy with caution, they're from 1977, but will easily compare with £1k amps and better now. Allow another £100 for a good technician to service, recap, etc., and you're done. Stunning amp and I'm aware that most people who know my enthusiasm for this particular range are rolling their eyes and going "he's off again..."!

85wpc, but assume nearer 100...demand usually high when they come up on Ebay, so wait till the last minute and let the bid land then. There's usually around a couple a year, but as a stop-gap, try the AU217, 317, 417 or 517. They come up more frequently and share a similar sound quality.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Has a look and can't source those amps right now however I'm going to hold off until I possibly can source one then go for the speakers afterwards as I'm sure changing the amp would probably have benefits even for my existing speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts