MQA, worth it?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Thing is Tidal sounds great in the Hifi tier, and in many countries like mine Qobuz is not available. Amazon is. But Tidal just has the better interface, and allows me to play offline from my phone for use in the car etc.

Audioisnobiggie

Apr 3, 2023
Visit site
Thing is Tidal sounds great in the Hifi tier, and in many countries like mine Qobuz is not available. Amazon is. But Tidal just has the better interface, and allows me to play offline from my phone for use in the car etc.
I find Tidal's player sounds less bad than Amazon's, so it sounds better even with the same track only at 44.1. On top of that, it works in Audirvana, which, like their name suggests, makes them the best right now. Qobuz works in it too, though, and is coming here next month for less than mqa, so I might not stay regardless of the business practices I'm involved with so far, to have audio with other apps. What if he puts something on top of flac then mqa, to trickle less than 44.1 rate? (which is 1/42th of what you get from Netflix for less.)

Download some music to a portable music player. I just want to know which audio format is good for recording classical music. My little sister wants to listen to them before learning piano tunes. But I'm worried that some lossy formats will compress the sound quality.
If you are downloading and your portable player can handle MQA files then use those otherwise, if your player can handle hi res files like DSD, then download those.
Files in FLAC format are also good but avoid MP3.
What make is your portable player?

second-hand Sony NW-A306. It can insert microSD. Maybe I can download music in FLAC format to my SD card.
FLAC files will be good. I see your player does support DSD playback which is great but file sizes can be quite large and you would need a big capacity microSD card.
Not much point in downloading to an SD card if it's a microSD that goes into the player.
You can buy a microSD card with SD size adapter for this purpose.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
second-hand Sony NW-A306. It can insert microSD. Maybe I can download music in FLAC format to my SD card.
In defense of the best MPEG, with respect to lossless preferences and biases:

Only about 60-70% of my digital music collection, though 80-90% of my jazz and classical music, consists of FLAC-formatted rips of CDs. I play them through my HiBy player, PC, and Surface tablet. On the other hand, my MPEG files ripped or downloaded at 320kbs (the highest MPEG resolution available) of excellent recordings also sound great on any device. Anything that doesn't sound great is deleted. ;)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts