MP3s make you less happy, study says

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of the report from about 30 years ago which claimed something similar for CDs vs records. (May have been WHF or may have been one of the others. WHF were quite pro-CD so more likely to be HFC, which wasn't.) DJs had apparently noted that more people got up to dance if they played a song on vinyl compared to the CD. Whereas I doubt that hammered teenagers in a sweaty smoky nightclub looking to - erm - sow their oats gave a flying f'k regarding what format the DJ played his songs on.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I agree, spoof article/ link or not. Now I don't think you need hi res but I'm enjoying my recent return to cd vs Spotify/iTunes. I'm definitely finding music more engaging and uplifting.

The thing is if I compare the two directly there's not a huge difference, but I've gone from "will I listen to music or not" to "I can't wait to listen to music" again.

shadders

Hi,

I don't have a link, but it has been reported that people prefer mp3 since they have become familiar with the mp3 sound, when they compared to CD. Has been reported as a comment in Hifi News, stating it was a bbc report.

Regards,

Shadders.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
If the slapdash article had actually got the link right, you could see that the AES paper deals with the effects of very extreme MP3 compression, all the way down to 32kbps.

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20161206/18523.pdf

Thanks. I'll have a read through it tomorrow.

EDIT - I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but this picture of one of the authors doesn't fill me with confidence.

MP3%20guy_zpsm8zuxfhi.jpg

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
spiny norman said:
steve_1979 said:
EDIT - I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but this picture of one of the authors doesn't fill me with confidence.

Why?

(And it seems that link isn't working now. Perhaps the Audio Engineering Library people are having emotional problems)

Because sometimes what's inside a book is not properly represented by the cover *biggrin*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Why?

(And it seems that link isn't working now. Perhaps the Audio Engineering Library people are having emotional problems.

This one seems to be OK)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
This WHF article sounds like a of load BS pseudoscience. Shame the web link provided doesn't work so we can check the source to see whether it has any genuine credibility or if the methodology is full of holes.

My guess is that this is just another lame excuse for WHF to push the old 'hi-res audio' rubbish on unsuspecting readers again

What do you expect? The piece says the study was by the Audio Engineering Library, which appears not to exist. As opposed to being a paper submitted to the Audio Engineering Society, which does.

If the slapdash article had actually got the link right, you could see that the AES paper deals with the effects of very extreme MP3 compression, all the way down to 32kbps.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308647359_The_Effects_of_MP3_Compression_on_Emotional_Characteristics

And it isn't quite (or even slightly) as sweeping as is suggested by the WHF 'news story', presumably ripped off from some ill-informed website which also hadn't bothered to spend a few minutes actually reading the paper.

(EDITED to fix seemingly ever-changing link)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It's nothing to do with his race. It's his facial expression that seems unusual for someone who is attempting to put forward a serious scientific academic paper.

Maybe that's just how he looks. Or maybe the paper isn't serious at all, but a laugh-riot.

TRENDING THREADS