MP200 v AT-OC9ML/ll

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m upgrading my system bit by bit. RB300 tonearm’s just been tweaked by Origin Live - the full English: structural / internal and external rewiring. TT is Pink Triangle LPT. Moth 30 phono stage. (Which may get upgraded at some point, a conversation for another time.)

The next logical step (according to some on this forum) is to upgrade the cartridge.

I asked Musonic to recommend upgrades based on a budget of £300 - 400 and considering my system. They suggest either a Nagaoka MP200 or an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/ll.

My vinyl collection is eclectic and goes back 50 years. Some vinyl I buy new, some I buy secondhand from record fairs, charity shops and used record shops. I clean them with my Knosti Disco Antistat.

These days I tend to play more jazz, classical, psych folk and laid-back stuff. But the Stooges and Ramones still get given a blast when the mood takes.

Reviews of the Nagaoka say the sound is warm, very musical and best suited to jazz and classical. And that the cartridge scores well on low surface noise (an important factor when vinyl is secondhand). But will it be too laid back for rock?

The AT is described as incredible sound quality for the money and that it will take my listening experience up to another level. But will all that extra detail also show up the flaws in records?

Nagaoka seems the safer bet, and I’m used to the Nagaoka sound, currently have a TS11. But I’m an MC virgin, not sure what to expect. Any thoughts / suggestions / wisdom please?

6and8 said:
I’m upgrading my system bit by bit. RB300 tonearm’s just been tweaked by Origin Live - the full English: structural / internal and external rewiring. TT is Pink Triangle LPT. Moth 30 phono stage. (Which may get upgraded at some point, a conversation for another time.)

The next logical step (according to some on this forum) is to upgrade the cartridge.

I asked Musonic to recommend upgrades based on a budget of £300 - 400 and considering my system. They suggest either a Nagaoka MP200 or an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/ll.

My vinyl collection is eclectic and goes back 50 years. Some vinyl I buy new, some I buy secondhand from record fairs, charity shops and used record shops. I clean them with my Knosti Disco Antistat.

These days I tend to play more jazz, classical, psych folk and laid-back stuff. But the Stooges and Ramones still get given a blast when the mood takes.

Reviews of the Nagaoka say the sound is warm, very musical and best suited to jazz and classical. And that the cartridge scores well on low surface noise (an important factor when vinyl is secondhand). But will it be too laid back for rock?

The AT is described as incredible sound quality for the money and that it will take my listening experience up to another level. But will all that extra detail also show up the flaws in records?

Nagaoka seems the safer bet, and I’m used to the Nagaoka sound, currently have a TS11. But I’m an MC virgin, not sure what to expect. Any thoughts / suggestions / wisdom please?

Although your Moth will cope with a moving coil cartridge I would urge caution. Some people consider the OC9 to be a bit bright and forward.

Note also that this could be an expensive route. Whilst you can swap stylii on the Nagaoka, and even upgrade it, you cannot do this with a moving coil. Once you break a cantilever or it gets worn out then its pretty much a case overthrow it away at this price level.

If you do want to have a go at moving coils then I might suggest the Audio Technica AT33PTG as a better all-round option, these can be found for around £419. I am currently using one myself and would suggest it's sound is very similar to the Nagaoka MP500.

P.S., the Nag is a good all-rounder and is not at all genre specific.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Nagaoka MP500 is a beaut of a cart IMO

I had a friend round and he found my system on the verge of being bright ????

I find it very musical - the Elicit R is a clean transparent amp that why i find the wamth of the Nag a perfect partner with the Elicit R

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
(..whilst you can swap stylii on the Nagaoka, and even upgrade it...)

Thanks for the advice. Al, just so I understand, does your comment mean that with the Nagaoka I can, at a later date, use an MP500 stylus with the MP200 cartridge and upgrade it to an MP500?

6and8 said:
(..whilst you can swap stylii on the Nagaoka, and even upgrade it...)

Thanks for the advice. Al, just so I understand, does your comment mean that with the Nagaoka I can, at a later date, use an MP500 stylus with the MP200 cartridge and upgrade it to an MP500?

Not sure about 200 to 500, the stylii are interchangeable, however the body is slightly different. The step from 300 to 500 is possible I believe as these use the same body with a different shape diamond attached.

TRENDING THREADS