Mozart: The New Complete Edition 225

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered this. :D

http://www.mozart225.com/

81Os0jbuT3L._SL1500_.jpg

I saw the announcement too, though I'm unsure how much more complete it is than the old Philips edition from about a decade ago.

Wonderful in any case, though I've acquired a fair bit of Mozart that aligns well with my preferences, so most of the piano concertos (Perahia, Pollini, Schiff, Goode, Casedesus, et al; all Uchida's sonatas; most of the symphonies, the violin concertos, the clarinet concerto in several versions (including from Musical Fidelity's founder) and several versions of the horn concertos (including one I heard being recorded at Abbey Road no 1, no less) but not so many quartets and operas.

Do you favour any particular artist or repertoire?

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
His early dimise was truly one of the great tragedies of western culture.
It's easy to forget how young he was when he composed his 'late' works. His last symphony the 'Jupiter' gives us a glimpse of the maturity that was to come.
If only he had lived to hear Beethoven's Eroica - my god what might have been!

matthewpiano

I love these big box sets, and I've been lucky to be able to buy a few over the years including the Alfred Brendel, Murray Perahia, Glenn Gould, DG111, Decca Sound, Vienna Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic, and Mercury Living Presence ones.

This Mozart one looks beautiful, but alas I won't be buying it. I already have a substantial collection of Mozart recordings by my favoured performers, and I'm not in a position to splash the cash on this very worthwhile but costly set, especially as it would involves doubling up on quite a few recordings I already own.

For anyone who relishes the exploration, has the disposable cash, and doesn't already have much of the music, this set is to be highly recommended. Enjoy listening!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
this one has been fluctuating like crazy from £300 up to a peak of £534 on Amazon but it has just dropped to £173 today so I jumped on it before it goes back up again.

It's gone up to £278 already.

Glad I bought two of them. :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
I saw the announcement too, though I'm unsure how much more complete it is than the old Philips edition from about a decade ago.

I've never bought one of these big box sets before. This one has been fluctuating like crazy from £300 up to a peak of £534 on Amazon but it has just dropped to £173 today so I jumped on it before it goes back up again.

nopiano said:

This is a quote from an Amazon review comparing the two:

"For those of you like me who already own the 1991 Philips Mozart Edition 180 CD set, I recommend you purchase this. The Philips set couldn’t even compare with this set:

1) The music quality of this set tops the Philips version by a wide margin.
2) 70% of the recordings are different from the 1991 Philips Mozart Edition.
3) There are an additional 20 CDs compare to the 1991 Philips version (200 vs 180 CDs).
4) This set provides authoritative works in the form of 2 fully and beautifully illustrated hardback books that are detailed, informative and thorough.

Philips is now owned by the Universal Music Group (UMG) and due to its ownership of the DG, Decca and Philips labels UMG now owns the greatest classical catalog ever assembled. UMG has drawn on this catalog to create the greatest Mozart collection ever available in this set."

nopiano said:
Do you favour any particular artist or repertoire?

Mozart is by far my favourite composer.

ardtullaich

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Infiniteloop said:
- Is it available as a Hi Res download?

I don't know. Why not just rip the CD's to lossless? (dare I ask ;) )
I to have the philips 1990 collection awsom piece.

I once ripped an original cd copy of the limited edition bbc lord of the rings gold disc edition . Never played the discs again. Played once only to rip to reel to reel then later from reel to reel to digital lossless. then two years ago after the original cd's had not been played for 15 years i got the discs out to play just becouse i could and all the discs were knackered the gold on the cd's had all flaked off rendering the cd's unplayable. Got on to the bbc and they did replace the discs but not with the original limited edition ones. So from know on if i have the disc i play it

steve_1979 said:
steve_1979 said:
this one has been fluctuating like crazy from £300 up to a peak of £534 on Amazon but it has just dropped to £173 today so I jumped on it before it goes back up again.

It's gone up to £278 already.

Glad I bought two of them. :D
Yes, I followed your link yesterday and thought that's good value at under £1 a disc. Then today it's gone up hugely! That's one of my beefs with Amazon; it's getting like a Ryanair ticket.

PS. When I asked about artists yesterday, I meant of those performing Mozart. Hogwood conducted the horn concertos I witnessed; it was wonderful!

insider9

I enjoy occasional Chopin and always had a soft spot for string quartets. I'm not familiar with a lot of classical music but my musical taste evolved so much over the last few years I'd be happy to try.

Any suggestions where to start?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
I enjoy occasional Chopin and always had a soft spot for string quartets. I'm not familiar with a lot of classical music but my musical taste evolved so much over the last few years I'd be happy to try.

Here's a thread just for you. ;) Clicky

It's also worth trying The Decca Sound - Highlights album which is also available on Spotify. It's every bit as good as my playlist (probably better TBH) and it contains mostly lesser known pieces of music rather that the 'catchy' famous ones that often appear in films and adverts

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Yes, I followed your link yesterday and thought that's good value at under £1 a disc. Then today it's gone up hugely! That's one of my beefs with Amazon; it's getting like a Ryanair ticket.

It seemed too good to miss at that price (they're currently trending at £335 - £429 on Amazon and eBay!) So I bought two, one to keep and one to sell. *dance4*

nopiano said:
PS. When I asked about artists yesterday, I meant of those performing Mozart. Hogwood conducted the horn concertos I witnessed; it was wonderful!

Ahh I see, I'm not really sure. I have a couple of good CDs by Neville Marriner and I really like Otto Klemperer's version of The Magic Flute. The London and Berlin philharmonic orchestras often seem the be the best versions on Spotify.

Apart from that I don't really know one conductor or orchastra from the next TBH. *unknw*

insider9

steve_1979 said:
insider9 said:

Here's a thread just for you. ;) Clicky

It's also worth trying The Decca Sound - Highlights album which is also available on Spotify. It's every bit as good as my playlist (probably better TBH) and it contains mostly lesser known pieces of music rather that the 'catchy' famous ones that often appear in films and adverts

Superb, thank you very much! Much appreciated and sorry to go off topic.

If only this forum had a working search :)

iMark

steve_1979 said:

This edition is not on Spotify yet. The Philips edition is there in instalments. The Philips is very enjoyable and I'm sure this one is even better. My problem is that I'm not particularly likely to listen to the operas, so quite a few of the 200 discs would never get out. The pieces I like most (piano sonatas, piano concertos, late symphonies) I've already got by several performers, both as inherited LPs as well as CDs.

If you'd like to listen to Mozart in chronological order (K-numbers), there is this playlist on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/user/ulyssestone/playlist/7eyaAnSzreX2APRpx40Kuk

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed a couple of 'reviews' on Amazon saying that their box set has a duplicate CD in there requiring them to replace the whole box set. These two 'reviews' popped up as a warning and disappeared again a week later as they were intended more of a warning to other purchasers rather than a proper review.

As I've bought two box sets with the intention of selling one of them later on it hasn't been opened yet as I assumed it would hold its value better if it was still the original plastic wrapping. Do you think it would effect the value much if I opened it up to have a check that all of the CDs are present and correct?

steve_1979 said:
I've noticed a couple of 'reviews' on Amazon saying that their box set has a duplicate CD in there requiring them to replace the whole box set. These two 'reviews' popped up as a warning and disappeared again a week later as they were intended more of a warning to other purchasers rather than a proper review.

As I've bought two box sets with the intention of selling one of them later on it hasn't been opened yet as I assumed it would hold its value better if it was still the original plastic wrapping. Do you think it would effect the value much if I opened it up to have a check that all of the CDs are present and correct?
It probably would, Steve, for no particularly logical reason, but that's how collectors things go. My Corgi cars are worth a few bob, but the boxes are probably worth more than the cars, because they are so rare! And closer to hifi, the remote controls for old CRT TV sets appear to be worth more than the actual sets, if eBay can be believed!

iMark

Some albums of Mozart 225 are available on Spotify now.

Fragments and Discoveries: https://open.spotify.com/album/5fxyQAdJXIAen19vVPMAyO

Mozart's Intruments: https://open.spotify.com/album/0lPN4hPDrW8op65MSDpklc

Serenades and Divertimenti: https://open.spotify.com/album/3WPr4T6EtS8jaIGMW3oyyv

Complete Keyboard Music: https://open.spotify.com/album/0YnJ2Oyvietr2x7v8gNe0x

Complete Concertos: https://open.spotify.com/album/654CQVfhYlPH27VMtz354J

Legendary Piano Performances: https://open.spotify.com/album/0xJ8K6HzzQFJmlW4ebwEk9

Canons and Partsongs: https://open.spotify.com/album/5hG8Qrihhhv0cttsTgINPo

Complete Songs: https://open.spotify.com/album/7IQm687HZKxHGurIg8YkbW

Masonic Music: https://open.spotify.com/album/2GYgOd3xfhFOlqzxGpQSDe

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
steve_1979 said:
Thanks guys. :)
I only looked at your latest post because I was hoping you'd spotted it for £173 again!!

Ha! :D

I have the Amazon page saved to my favourites and check it most days just in case. I now wish that I'd bought about a dozen of them instead of two.

The lowest it's been so far was £300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts