moving to 6.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had Yamaha RX-0V757 and B&W 601 / CC6 surround system ...

I was persuded to part with a significant ammount of money ... and upgraded to SVS PB12 sub bass

M&K K-5 front L&R and M&K K-7 centre
with a pair of M&K Xenon Surround-25 as rears

Just bought a new amp the Yamaha Rx-V671 (to get HDMI input) and new Samsung 46" 6 series TV.

Thinking I should add in a center rear speaker and run as 6.1 .... is the Xenon Surround-25 still available .. ?

If not what M&K sepaker could I use match what I have .... and is there any particular outlet will sell a single speaker.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The best suggestion i can come up with for you is to get 3 K7's from mkloudspeakers.com they are X demo for £320 and replace the 2 K5's LR and use a K7 as a centre rear if you are set on a 6.1 route. The issue you have is that M&K (Miller& Krisel) are no longer in buisiness MKsound have taken on the M&K mantle to a degree ie they bought into the defuct M&K and they are using the tech etc but they are their own buisiness. I personally having used 3 k7's and 3 K17's + KX10 sub in a 6.1 don't feel it's worth it over 5.1 and reverted back to 5.1 when i upgraded to the MKsound's i have now. In your case replacing the two K5's might be a good choice so you could do it and see any way. I'm not convinced your new amp is the right level of amp to drive the M&K as they are 4ohm so require a good level of amplification to drive them so you may need to be looking at Yamaha RXA810 level and above. Either way there is a contact tab on the mkloudspeaker site so you can gat in touch with and ask them the questions. The only outlet that i know of that do MKsound is Ideal AV as for whatever reason MKsound went and pulled the plug on most of the dealer stockist of M&K i still don't understand that decision now but hay it's their buisiness.

A

Anonymous

Why would Yamaha 671 not be suitable .... the previous 2 x Yamaha models have worked fine, and on listening the 671 sounds just as good to me ..

Is there not really much of a benefit from going form 5.1 to 6.1 ? .......... the Yamaha can happily accept 5.1 6.1 or 7.1

If there is not much 6.1 material, then I won't bother and leave things as is.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

i think Vic means the Yamaha 671 wont play the M&K speakers to the best of their abilities.

To you it probably sounds fab, but if you used the 810 or above it would sound Fab-tastic.

Like a Mini one, and a Cooper s.

Darrell

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
sargan said:
Why would Yamaha 671 not be suitable .... the previous 2 x Yamaha models have worked fine, and on listening the 671 sounds just as good to me ..

Is there not really much of a benefit from going form 5.1 to 6.1 ? .......... the Yamaha can happily accept 5.1 6.1 or 7.1

If there is not much 6.1 material, then I won't bother and leave things as is.

It's not that it not suitable if it sounds good to you that's great..... it's as sta99y said really.

I can only say 6.1 didn't do it for me over 5.1 however you may well think it's worth it.

I have made suggestions for you to look into.... up to you to decide what you want to do :)

A

Anonymous

OK ... had me concerned
smiley-embarassed.gif

... as the What HiFi review of this receiver persuaded me to get it.

General Q .... have a 5.1 set up .... is there much in 6.1 ? .... perhaps I would just be wasting my money going for 6.1

I don't really want to go to 7.1 as the cable is only in place for Left Right & Centre (L&R in use now)

Just as a interest .. how much 'information actually comes out of the 6 & 7 channels ?

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I found this to explain it

"A 7.1 channel system incorporates all the elements of a 5.1 channel system, but instead of combining both surround and rear channel effects into two channels, a 7.1 system splits the surround and rear channel information into four channels. In other words, side sound effects and ambience are directed to left and right surround channels, and the rear sound effects and ambience are directed to two rear or back channels. In this set-up the surround speakers are set to the side of the listening position and the rear or back channels are placed behind the listener"

and

"The 7.1 channel listening environment can add more depth the surround sound experience, provide more a specific, directed, and immersive soundfield, especially for larger rooms."

I think this is way it didn't do it for me because i have a smaller listening enviroment and had the rear centre in the same plain as the rear speakers which made the surround coming from the rear centre to directional to my listening position. This is why i came to the conclusion 5.1 is better for me.

The way you describe yourself wanting to explore 6.1 is exactly the same way i felt about it so i tried it. You won't know for sure until you hear it for yourself.

See if you can borrow a speaker to put in the centre rear so you can try it before making a commitment to it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts