Moving over to turntable - and need advivce

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have been looking at getting a turntable for some time now but am clueless as to where to start.

My current system is pretty high CD system DcS Verdi CD player and a Chord QBD DAC. I play this through Audia pre and Audia power amps and finally a set of DALI 800mk2 speakers.

The issue and question I have is that this is a pretty expensive system and getting a turntable to compete if not sound better is probably going to be very expensive.

I am seeking your advice as to where to pitch a turntable that can at least compete with the CD player, any recommendations on turntables and at what price.

Your expertise is much appreciated here, many thanks.

Hi

I have been looking at getting a turntable for some time now but am clueless as to where to start.

My current system is pretty high CD system DcS Verdi CD player and a Chord QBD DAC. I play this through Audia pre and Audia power amps and finally a set of DALI 800mk2 speakers.

The issue and question I have is that this is a pretty expensive system and getting a turntable to compete if not sound better is probably going to be very expensive.

I am seeking your advice as to where to pitch a turntable that can at least compete with the CD player, any recommendations on turntables and at what price.

millerman said:
Hi

Hi

Here's a good place to start. Normally retails around £1,200 - £1,400. I would be tempted but it doesn't have a dust cover: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROKSAN-RADIUS-5-1-NIMA-ARM-100-NEW-BOXED-MAPLE-/140655042956?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item20bfb1a18c

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My advice is that you might need a new hifi rack ;)

6371122833_761d2250fb_z.jpg

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest the usual suspects, Linn Majik LP12, Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck, Mitchell Orbe or Gyrodeck, VPI and Well Tempered. You'll need a decent cartridge - Benz Micro Ace or Dynavector 20x as a minimum.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I'd suggest the usual suspects, Linn Majik LP12, Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck, Mitchell Orbe or Gyrodeck, VPI and Well Tempered. You'll need a decent cartridge - Benz Micro Ace or Dynavector 20x as a minimum.

I would suggest a not so obvious suspect , an Origin Live Calypso . Mainly because I've got one and no one else seems to recommend them . Or if you've £4000 plus to spend a Sovereign .

Some sort of approximate budget would narrow the field down a bit .

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you want a turntable that you can buy for under £100, that will offer good sound quality for the money and can be modded into one of the best sounding turntables ever: buy a Lenco.

For a few hundred quid more a Garrard 301 or 401 or Thorens TD124 are also good.

If you want a less of a hobbyist approach and want to dip your toe in the water buy a 1970's to 1980's Japanese dd turntable. One of the models that would have been towards the top or right at the top of their model range. There are lots of different models to choose from. Lots that can be bought for under £300 that will offer genuinely good sound quality.

A Pioneer Exclusive P3 or P3a for £3000 to £4000 is one of the best record players ever made.

For fuss free, tweak-free turntables with good built-in phono amplification buy an EMT 930 or 948 or 950 for £1450 to £2500. These are also amongst the best sounding record players ever made.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
millerman said:
Hi

Hi

Here's a good place to start. Normally retails around £1,200 - £1,400. I would be tempted but it doesn't have a dust cover: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROKSAN-RADIUS-5-1-NIMA-ARM-100-NEW-BOXED-MAPLE-/140655042956?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item20bfb1a18c

I've got the acrylic version of that turntable with a Goldring 2400 cartridge, and on it's day it surpasses my DAC (your DAC's predecessor), although some of my other components aren't quite in your price bracket/league, as far as I know.

Vinyl is, mostly, my preferred playback medium and I'd be interested to know what turntable the OP goes for. I'm forever on the lookout for an affordable and substantive upgrade from my current deck, but it does loads of good things and I've had it for nearly four years now. (Cost: £700, three months old at time of eBay purchase).

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone - Ive been checking out the list of turntables you have all suggested and for which I am very grateful for.

The difficulty I have is pitching the right budget at this, or to put it another way spending enough to ensure it, at the very least, compares with the CD set up I have. One suggestion was to go for a Linn sondek and gradually upgrade until I get the better sound I am looking for.

I would be very interested in your thoughts on this idea

Once again many thanks for your time and trouble in responding to me

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
millerman said:
Thanks to everyone - Ive been checking out the list of turntables you have all suggested and for which I am very grateful for.

The difficulty I have is pitching the right budget at this, or to put it another way spending enough to ensure it, at the very least, compares with the CD set up I have. One suggestion was to go for a Linn sondek and gradually upgrade until I get the better sound I am looking for.

I would be very interested in your thoughts on this idea

Once again many thanks for your time and trouble in responding to me

With a Sondek you have the potential to spend at least £14000 8)

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Cool:grin: so this seems like a good route to take. Now, ive just got to convince the wife that we are in desperate need of a turntable and its pointless living without one

Any advice is appreciiated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts