Moving house gives me a great excuse...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yep, PMC was on the list but he didn't have any to listen to. Although I think I have talked myself out of them as I am trying to get away from clever bass reflex which to my ears, substitutes depth for weight.

SteveR750

p_m_brown said:
Yep, PMC was on the list but he didn't have any to listen to. Although I think I have talked myself out of them as I am trying to get away from clever bass reflex which to my ears, substitutes depth for weight.

Understand that, not sure I could go back to a ported design.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad you liked the Audio Physics...it's always good to hear something different.

I felt much the same as you when I heard the new Regas....I also thought they were pretty ordinary.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Had a great session on Saturday and have narrowed it down to two speakers for home demo. I was astounded by the difference in quality and musicality of all the speakers I listened to compared to my little Kefs (which I took along with my A38 amp).

I listened to 3 tracks on each speaker, Angel by Massive Attack to test bass quality and depth, Consolers of the Lonely by the Raconteurs to listen out for how the speakers deal with a slightly ragged recording/separation and a Bad Plus track to hear how they deal with piano and all dig out detail.

First up, the ATC SCM11s. Wow! I could have listened to these all day long! Quite a bit larger than my Kefs but being sealed, can be closer to a wall as per brief. The detail and midrange clarity was super accurate without causing fatigue and whilst the bass wasn't seismic, it was punchy and certainly went deeper than the Kefs. I listened to a few more tracks on the ATCs and they just disappeared in a deep, wide and very accurate sound stage. A brilliant start!

Next up was a ‘leftfield’ rear ported standmount speaker by Audio Physics, the Step 25 plus which were almost £2k in their particular finish. Smaller than the ATCs and my Kefs, these things really had some bass weight behind them which was surprising! Very detailed again but they did sound a little muddled with the Raconteurs track at higher volumes. Sounded good with most of the Bad Plus track albeit at slightly less antisocial levels.

Next up were the floorstanders and the new Rega RX3s which I was looking forward to checking out with the side mounted 180mm bass driver and front porting. However, they sounded a little thin and did not cast a very exciting sound stage at all. The music was very much contained within the speakers and they just sounded pretty average. Perhaps they work best with Rega electronics. Next…

Next up were some more Audio Physics speakers –the Classic 10 floorstanders. They look like a sealed design but it turns out they have tiny slots in the cabinet that act as mini bass reflex ports. Packing 2 6” drive units and a large tweeter, you get a lot of speaker for the money. Simply put, they sound fantastic! Huge soundstage, wide and tall, deep, taut and powerful bass, rich midrange, along with detail to rival the ATCs. In fact, they sounded a bit like the ATCs on steroids. I listened to a few more tracks on these and could have happily ordered a pair on the day! Great fun, there was incessant foot tapping and head nodding throughout!

Next were the Neat Motive SX2 which are tiny but looked very cool in white. I wasn’t expecting much from these tiny boxes after hearing the Classic 10s but the sound that come out of these things is something else! There was a decent helping of bass although I felt it was more weight than depth. Detail was good but not enough to worry the Classic 10s or the ATCs, nor were they able to match the other’s separation and sense of space in recordings. The soundstage however was impressively wide. I then convinced myself to have a listen to the SX1s which have some real power, a lovely rich midrange and similar detail to the smaller SX2. I was really impressed with them, but I found myself analyzing elements of their presentation rather than just listening to the music. I also felt that they may overwhelm my lounge as the bass power was very impressive in the large barn space we heard all the speakers in. Also, even thought they are impressive, I wasn’t convinced that they were really worth £500 quid more than the SX2s.

So coming home this week are the Audio Physics Classic 10s and the ATC SCM11s. I loved the larger Audio Physics but I have a niggling feeling they may overpower the lounge given they are not completely sealed. I’m hooked on the additional bass extension and scale from floorstanders, but still need to be mindful of the original brief – to find speakers that will work close to rear wall whilst producing a little more bass depth and control.

Any ideas for other sealed floorstanders out there? Wouldn’t mind having a listen to the Spendor A5r that someone else mentioned earlier in the thread but they really are blowing my £1500 budget!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for making that clear Mark. What I am looking for is trust bass depth, not clever tech to boost lower midrange/bass. The Twenty 23s I heard a while back were impressive but I just can't get over the punch and real depth of the atc and the audio physic speakers I heard at the weekend...

SteveR750

p_m_brown said:
Thanks for making that clear Mark. What I am looking for is trust bass depth, not clever tech to boost lower midrange/bass. The Twenty 23s I heard a while back were impressive but I just can't get over the punch and real depth of the atc and the audio physic speakers I heard at the weekend...

There's a hug gulf between sealed box (atc) and ported designs. Much more than ported vs transmission on line, both of which are essentially unsealed, ie open boxes.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Agreed!

The chap who runs the Hifi store is coming round tomorrow with the ATC and the Audio Physics speakers tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to seeing how they sound. I reckon the ATCs will be victorious but I'll check back in with you tomorrow night!

SteveR750

p_m_brown said:
Agreed!

The chap who runs the Hifi store is coming round tomorrow with the ATC and the Audio Physics speakers tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to seeing how they sound. I reckon the ATCs will be victorious but I'll check back in with you tomorrow night!

Well, beware expectation bias. Your best strategy is either go in blindfold or totally off your face. Music is often best appreciated when in the same physical state / of mind as the author. :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
p_m_brown said:
Agreed!

Well, beware expectation bias. Your best strategy is either go in blindfold or totally off your face. Music is often best appreciated when in the same physical state / of mind as the author. :)

Something like this http://www.allmusic.com/album/taking-drugs-to-make-music-to-take-drugs-to-mw0000125086 ?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips although the drinking will probably commence after the (hi fi) dealer has left!

I really loved the large Audio Physics Classic 10s during the demo but given they are not fully sealed, we might have trouble placing them in our current house, let alone the new place! But, lets see!

*drinks*

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Both demo speakers came home last night and first up were the ATC SCM11s.

Parked right up by the back wall they sounded great, although I couldn't help but feel that some of the weight from my Kefs was missing slightly. They do reach deeper though and of course are far more accurate. The soundstage was really good but there was something missing - they didn't sound quite as exciting as I remembered.

Next up where the Audio Physics classic 10s which I had pretty much given up on, given they are not fully sealed. But was I glad to be wrong! Parked close to the rear wall and looking very nice indeed, we put on the same Massive Attack tune and they just sounded huge! The difference in scale amazing as was the clarity and the soundstage they produced! Angel sounded more atmospheric, grander, more exciting during the build up and more engaging. There was also a lot more space around each instrument and that dreaded overpowered bass just wasn't evident. There was still a slight 70hz (g note on the bass guitar I think) boom but it was less pronounced than my little Kefs. I assume this is room related though as I could hear it with the ATCs too.

I've not stopped listening and choosing these floorstanders just provides further evidence of the importance of testing at home!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Just couldn't stop listening to these Audio Physics Classic 10s over the weekend so this morning, I put in an order for a pair in Walnut. I would urge anyone to try these out if you want to try something a little different as they really do sound superb.

They work in huge rooms and small rooms, create an immense soundstage whilst providing an atmospheric and detailed top end with a deep and powerful bottom end. They are just so fun and engaging and make me want to listen to music I love and find new music to fall in love with!

TRENDING THREADS